cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connect with others living with health conditions

Diagnosis to Treatment

How do I get from A to B? Here's an article I think is helpful.

https://dailynurse.com/guiding-copd-patients-from-diagnosis-to-treatment/ 

Helping patients to navigate what comes after a difficult diagnosis is a necessary part of our profession. In my many years working with patients facing progressive diseases, like chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), I have found that they often have questions, namely:

What do I do now?

That’s where we, as nurses and other health care providers, can offer answers. COPD is not currently curable; however, there is still hope for these patients. Lifestyle changes and medical advancements make it possible for patients to improve their ability to breathe and overall quality of life. The objective of treatment is to slow the progression of the disease and assist with managing its symptoms. As patients with COPD come to terms with their disease, here’s what I would recommend to guide them through the next steps of their journey, from diagnosis to treatment:

Work With Them to Create a Plan

After giving a diagnosis of COPD, educating patients on the disease and working with them on a personalized plan to start addressing their symptoms is an important first step. In fact, there are many lifestyle changes that patients can make every day to not only accommodate their new medical needs but also to help improve lung function. Committing to a diet of anti-inflammatory foods — like fatty fish or dark leafy greens — participating in regular low-impact physical activities and other techniques can help to reduce inflammation in the lungs that can exacerbate symptoms.

Help Them Take the Steps to Quit Smoking

Smoking can cause significant damage in the lungs which only increases over time. One of the best things that patients can do if they’ve been diagnosed with chronic lung disease is to quit smoking if they currently smoke. It’s important to arm them with information and tools they need to successfully do so — whether it’s helping them to identify smoking triggers, create an exercise and diet regimen or connect to support groups or other resources. For example, at Lung Health Institute, we offer our patients access to programs like American Lung Association’s Freedom From Smoking® Plus, a flexible online smoking cessation program that can be completed in six weeks.

Have an Honest Conversation About What Treatment Is Right for Them

Every patient is different, and treatments will vary for each patient with COPD — depending on the severity of the disease and other factors, including age, fitness level or medical history. That’s why it’s critical to create an environment where patients are comfortable being completely honest about how they’re feeling both physically and mentally. That will ensure that we can provide them with the best course of action when it comes to their treatment.

Melissa Rubio, Ph.D., APRN

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
6 Replies
sweetplt

Thank you for always sharing the reality of smoking...Happy Thursday ~ Colleen 297 DOF 

YoungAtHeart

.....and he continues to provide great sources of information to inform us.

Thank you, Thomas!

Nancy

0 Kudos
elvan

Wow, thanks, Thomas, book marking to read again and again.

Ellen

0 Kudos
MarilynH

Thank you so much for sharing this Thomas I also bookmarked this post.....

0 Kudos
Roj

Thanks Thomas, I am new to this site and only found out about the emphysema diagnosis by the nurse reading my cat scan...she then told me to follow up with my pcp...shock was an understatement 

0 Kudos
indingrl

Thank you for YOUR love - MY brother -  Thomas in showing loving EMPATHY by teaching - self love care and most of all - walking YOUR NON SMOKER life style -  one breathe at a time - thinking about OTHER'S - above YOUR self -  by sharing-  YOUR wisdom in preparation -  in living healthier - regardless of disease - to keep improving - with good self care - with such gentleness and  kindness by YOUR example - living ONE day at a time by EDUCATION as a key to the best options to choose from for each individual personal choice  - in HIS love and service - I love YOU - Thomas MY brother in Christ Jesus - OUR Lord - living big in YOU - shine on brother -  gentle hug