cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

GrnEyz55

Lung Pains

Hello  I'm new here,  and quit a few days ago now both of my lungs hurt a lot any one else have this issue?  I have quit and started several times over the last 15 years and have smoked for 40 plus years. I am doing it cold turkey and the power of prayer this time, as Chantix, Wellbutrin, the patch none of them keeps me smoke free usually stress sends me back! Sorry I am rambling as I am concerned about the lung pain!

6 Replies
PastTense

Good afternoon, grneyz55.  Glad you found this site.

I would say that I did get lung pain when I tried to exercise before I quit; and I would suggest that seeing a doctor is a really good idea.  It could be your lungs cleaning themselves out or it could be something more.  Do you have the option of going to the doctor? 

How are you doing otherwise?  Surfing through the craves?  Drinking lots of water?  Hanging by a thread?

PT

Keep the Quit
PT
YoungAtHeart

Welcome to our community!

Congratulations on your decision to quit and your first few days.  I did a search on the site and here is what I found about lung pain that you might find useful.

https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/message/191175-re-lungs-feel-worse?commentID=191175#comment-19117... 

An important thing you can do right now is to educate yourself on what nicotine does to your body and mind. To that end, I highly recommend Allen Carr's “The Easy Way to Stop Smoking.” This is an easy and entertaining read. You can search for it online or at your local library. If you do nothing else to get ready for your quit, please do give this a read.

You should also read the posts here and perhaps go to the pages of folks who you think might be helpful. You might visit whyquit.com, quitsmoking.com and livewell.com for the good information contained there. @https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/groups/best-of-ex has lots of blogs written by members of this site with their experiences and guidance. Here is a video to inform you further about nicotine addiction: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IpWMgPHn0Lo&feature=youtu.be.

The idea is to change up your routines so the smoking associations are reduced.  Drink your coffee with your OTHER hand in a place different from when you smoked. Maybe switch to tea for a bit.  If you always had that first smoke with your coffee, try putting your tennies on right out of bed, going for a quick walk, then taking your shower and THEN your coffee! Rearrange the furniture in the areas you used to smoke so the view is different. Buy your gas at a different station. Take a different route to work. Take a quick walk at break time where the smokers AREN'T.

You need to distract yourself through any craves.  You can take a bite out of a lemon (yup - rind and all), put your head in the freezer and take a deep breath of cold air, do a few jumping jacks, go for a brisk walk or march in place, play a computer game.  Keep a cold bottle of water with you from which to sip. Don't let that smoking thought rattle around in your brain unchallenged. Sometimes you need to quit a minute or an hour at a time.  You will need to be disciplined in the early days to distract yourself when a crave hits.    Get busy!  Here is a link to a list of things to do instead of smoke if you need some fresh ideas:
 https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/blogs/Youngatheart.7.4.12-blog/2013/02/25/100-things-to-do-instea...
The conversation in your head in response to the "I want a cigarette" thought needs to be, "Well, since I have decided not to do that anymore, what shall I do instead for the three minutes this crave will last?"  Then DO it.  You will need to put some effort into this in the early days, but it gets easier and easier to do.

Stay close to us here and ask questions when you have them and for support when you need it. We will be with you every step of the way!

Nancy

Bellegonia

Hi,

Congrats on your quit! I was a 45+ year smoker. When I quit I didn't have lung pain, per se - but I did feel like I wasn't breathing deeply (the way I would if I was sucking on a smoke) so I found I would sigh a lot. There are 2 ways your body detoxes. Through your skin and through respiration. You very well may be detoxing. Might I suggest going fr short walks or fast walks where you get your heart rate up enough to breathe a little heavy? This will help clear out your lungs! I hope this helps. Let us know what you find out if you go to the docs.

Hugs

Belle

sweetplt

Hello and Welcome to Ex’s GrnEyz55 

I am so glad you made the decision to quit smoking and found our site...Please take the advice and information given to you by YoungAtHeart which will truly help in this journey.  Now the lung pain...ok...two things can be happening...one your lungs are clearing out from all the chemicals/nicotine and also, breathing is different when we don’t smoke...could be causing lung pain...however, anything that doesn’t feel normal, you should consult your Doctor...When I quit...I had sore lungs and a terrible cough...I gave it up to quitting and zap...I ended up with a bad sinus infection and upper respiratory infection...close to pneumonia...all because I didn’t consult with my Doctor...I really think it is your lungs healing...but I say...”better safe then sorry”....keep us posted on what you find out ... Colleen 296 DOF 

elvan

Are you coughing?  Are you able to take deep breaths?  I had a doc tell me that smokers forget how to breathe and the best thing to do is to take a deep breath in through your nose and exhale very slowly through pursed lips...kind of like when you smoked.  It helped me to feel less tired and less disoriented.  I did not have lung pain after I quit, I did have it before I quit and I had to have both upper lobes of my lungs surgically removed because of the damage that smoking did.  I smoked for 47 years and I am really sorry that I did but never sorry that I quit.

Welcome to EX...if you don't feel better in a few days, please see your doctor.

Ellen

indingrl

CONGRATS NICOTINE FREEDOM

0 Kudos