cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discuss different approaches to quitting, including medication

queerfactor

Chantix Woes

So I've used nicotine in some form for about four or so years. I started smoking in college both to fit in and deal with the immense amount of stress of my university, then switched to vaping using a Juul a couple years back. (Which was I guess better in some ways, but it was so easy to use everywhere that I truly wonder what the health trade-offs were.) I decided to quit and was put on Chantix to help me out. And it's amazing! I quit Friday at 3:00pm and it's now the following Monday at 1:40pm. I get cravings, but they're nothing I can't handle myself by remembering why I'm doing this and how this is my health at stake.

The problem is this: I have Ulcerative Colitis (a gastrointestinal disease) and Chantix is causing me so much unbearable pain. I finally got the go-ahead to try some additional medicines to help ease it, but I'm worried they won't help. I'm doing so well with not vaping, smoking, or using any nicotine, but this pain is so awful. Part of me wants to suck it up for however many months I need to be on Chantix because I want to quit for good so badly, but wow. This pain is exhausting.

This isn't the first time UC has messed with me trying to better my health and I know it won't be the last. I'm not so much looking for advice as just sharing my experience and venting a little bit. (Although if you've been there, please let me know what you did!) If you have UC or Crohn's, I'd recommend touching base with your gastro before starting Chantix to get a plan in place.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
Barbscloud

I'm so happy with your success quitting.  I have some GI stuff, but nothing that serious.   Hopefully someone will be able to share their experiences with you.  I tried Chantix once, but I had to quit because I was so sick to my stomach.  It seems to be helping you with your quit, so I would hate for you to have quit.  I believe some folks cut back on the dosage and that helped.  Hopefully you'll hear from someone.

In the meantime, big congrats.

Barb

0 Kudos
JACKIE1-25-15

Congratulations you are on your way.  3-5 days most of the nicotine should be out of your system. I really can not advise you on your medication.  However, you are really doing a great job. The Chantix may take the edge off but you have to weigh whether it is a trade-off for the stomach issues. Give the doctors advise some time to work and if it doesn't then have a plan B.Many here have quit cold turkey they call it smart turkey. I used Welbutrin for 90 days with no bothersome side effects and stopped because that was the plan.    No matter what NOPE will keep you free.

0 Kudos
YoungAtHeart

Welcome to our community!

You might talk with your doctor about a different Chantix dosage regimen.  I have heard of folks who take smaller amounts more frequently.  You might also ask if it might be better with or without food.

You may not need an NRT since the nicotine is mostly out of your system after today - the next couple of weeks is your body adjusting to life without it, and then it's the psychological triggers and associations with which you need to deal.

If all else fails, perhaps you might try the patch?  Talk that over with your doctor, as well.  It seems from reading here that the generic versions adhere better (and, of course, they are cheaper). Figure out what amount of nicotine you were getting from the Juul and choose the appropriate strength.

Nicotine addiction is nicotine addiction - no matter the delivery device - and how to beat any of them is about the same. Every time you read :"cigarette" in the information I will give you, just sub "Juul" or “vape,” or “device.”   The one thing different I would recommend is that you first start to reduce the nicotine content of the pods.  Start with a lesser amount in, like, one in every four, then three, etc. until you are only using the smallest amount, or reduce the amount of nicotine in the pods over time That way the physical withdrawal should be more manageable. You might find useful information, as well, here: https://truthinitiative.org/research-resources/quitting-smoking-vaping/quitting-e-cigarettes.

I recommend that you educate yourself on what nicotine does to your body and mind To that end, I suggest Allen Carr's “The Easy Way to Stop Smoking.” . Vaping was not a concern when this was written, so you will need to sub “vape”as necessary. This is an easy and entertaining read which can be found online or at your local library. If you do nothing else to get ready for your quit, please do give this a read. Here is a video to inform you further about nicotine addiction: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IpWMgPHn0Lo&feature=youtu.be.

The idea is to change up your routines so the vaping associations are reduced.  Drink your coffee with your OTHER hand in a place different from where you vaped. Maybe switch to tea for a bit.  If you always had that first puff with your coffee, try putting your tennies on right out of bed, going for a quick walk, then taking your shower and THEN your coffee! Rearrange the furniture in the areas you used to vape so the view is different. Take a different route when you are out and about so you aren't driving by your vaping supply shop. Take a quick walk at break time instead of vaping.

You need to distract yourself through any craves.  You can take a bite out of a lemon (yup - rind and all), put your head in the freezer and take a deep breath of cold air, do a few jumping jacks, go for a brisk walk or march in place, play a computer game.  Keep a cold bottle of water with you from which to sip. Don't let that vaping thought rattle around in your brain unchallenged. Sometimes you need to quit a minute or an hour at a time.  You will need to be disciplined in the early days to distract yourself when a crave hits.    Get busy!  Here is a link to a list of things to do instead of vape if you need some fresh ideas:
 https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/blogs/Youngatheart.7.4.12-blog/2013/02/25/100-things-to-do-instea...
The conversation in your head in response to the "I want to vape" thought needs to be, "Well, since I have decided not to do that anymore, what shall I do instead for the three minutes this crave will last?"  Then DO it.  You will need to put some effort into this in the early days, but it gets easier and easier to do.

Stay close to us here and ask questions when you have them and for support when you need it. We will be with you every step of the way!

Nancy

0 Kudos
sweetplt

Hi and Welcome to Ex’s queerfactor 

I am so happy you found our site.  I am sorry that you have ulcerative colitis... I have a sister that has this disease and I know from her it is bad...I have never taken chantix , but I know it seems to cause many stomach issues.  Please read at My EX Plan | BecomeAnEX and perhaps you will not have to be on Chantix as long, but you will learn to kick this addiction without the medicine...keep close to this site for support ... you got this...by choosing everyday not to smoke...we are her for you...~ Colleen 294 DOF 

0 Kudos
CommunityAdmin
Community Manager
Community Manager

How are you doing queerfactor‌?

Mark
EX Community Manager

EX Community Admin Team
0 Kudos