cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Giulia

Walmart To Stop Selling E-Cigs

Just a head's up for all you Vapers:  

"Walmart said on Friday that it would stop selling e-cigarettes at its stores in the United States..."

“Given the growing federal, state and local regulatory complexity and uncertainty regarding e-cigarettes, we plan to discontinue the sale of electronic nicotine delivery products,” the retailer said in a statement on Friday."

"On Thursday, medical authorities said that the number of vaping-related lung illnesses had risen to 530 probable cases, and a Missouri man became the eighth person to die from the mysterious ailments. Public health officials have said that many of the people who became sick were vaping THC, the ingredient in marijuana that induces a high, although some people have reported getting ill from vaping nicotine through e-cigarettes, too.

But no single product or ingredient has been identified as the cause..."  (NY Times)

Labels (1)
8 Replies
Barbara145

I love Walmart

marciem

I'm of two minds about this right now.  HAPPY that Walmart is doing (what I consider to be) the right thing, but with their statement i.e. "Given the growing federal, state and local regulatory complexity and uncertainty regarding e-cigarettes, we plan to discontinue the sale of electronic nicotine delivery products"  I feel like they're doing it for the wrong reasons... not because they shouldn't be selling them without clearer studies on the safety and health dangers, but because of gov't red tape popping up now.  I think of Walmart as part pharmacy/health care industry (Had a big health fair at our local one today) so I guess I expect more.

Ok, I'll get off my soapbox.  and p.s. they said "discontinue sale of electronic nicotine delivery products".  They don't mention the juices or pods that go in them, do they? hmmmm.

0 Kudos
JACKIE1-25-15

Yeah after there current inventory is sold out. I guess that will not take long. Better later than never. I guess. Go Wally World. lol Sometimes I get silly. 

avian3

Sadly, this sudden fear of vaping illnesses won't last long. Once they find out exactly what is causing them, vapers will once again feel comfortable vaping and we will be right back where we were before. They will once again be brainwashed into believing e cigs are a safer alternative to cigarettes and vaping is a way to quit smoking.

Giulia

You know, I suspect you're right, birdie.  But let's let it play itself out.  If specific ingredients in vaping products can be determined to cause these lung ailments, then of course they'll probably put them back on the market if they're removed.  I suspect that it will take so long to determine that, that curtailment will still continue.  At least I hope so.  

And marciem‌  I "get" your point.  Essentially I think Walmart is doing what they're doing to be on the "safe side."  This way they can't be sued.  It's a good "safe your ass" move corporately.  

sweetplt

This is great news Giulia ... Thanks for sharing...~ Colleen 293 DOF 

0 Kudos
Legend

I hope other stores follow what Walmart is doing.

0 Kudos
indingrl

Good for Walmart -  I like Walmart investing in SAVING lives - its a BEGINNING  - eliminating DEATH from vaping is GOOD regardless of which CHEMICAL kills YOUR LUNGS.-  let it begin with Walmart and other business's may follow - you NEVER know - thanks Lady G  for update info on vaping and deaths - gentle hug 

0 Kudos