cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discuss different approaches to quitting, including medication

tanyad1222

Will I withdraw from the patch?

Good morning,friends! I am on day 5 of no smoking, and feeling pretty good. This is my 3rd attempt at quitting, and decided to use the patch this time, which is REALLY helping me. But I do have a concern, and wonder if anyone has an  answer... Once I finish Step 3 of the patch, will I experience withdrawal symptoms? And if I do,will, they be just like those I would experience if I quit cold turkey?

I am very worried about this...!

Labels (1)
5 Replies
Barbara145

That is the least of your worries  I actually stayed on the patch for a year. One day at a time you will figure out your own special quit.  Nicotine is not harmful.  It is all the other chemicals that are the bad guys. It is a very good sign that you are doing well on day 5.  Congratulations on quitting smoking.  Enjoy your day.  

PrimeNumberJD

I once quit for a year and a half with the patch. Yes, you'll feel withdrawl symptoms since nicotine is in your system and must leave.

Will they be lesser? Knowing the half life of nicotine is 2 hours, I don't know there is much difference at 8 hours. Between 21 and 7 mg patches, you would have 1.5 or .5 mg left in your system. It isn't much different if you stop smoking a pack a day. So, they will be different, but they won't necessarily be less. 

What will be different? NRT is designed to hell get you over the mental difficulties of quitting, the triggers, hand to mouth sensation, and so forth. The thought is, after the 3-6 months of using the patch, you'll be past the worst triggers and will only have to get over nicotine. 

I would argue, don't concentrate on this aspect, concentrate on your quit. If you follow the directions, it will be a while before you cross that bridge, you'll have time to prepare for it!

I used the patch. I forgot my 4th day. I was uncomfortable but I made it through knowing they were only 10 minutes away. The next day I was jittery so I put one on when I got up. My second week I forgot two days in a row so I stopped using them and put one in my wallet with the promise I would put it on rather than smoke. It stayed there my first year, I never needed it.

To your point, I went from the 20mg patch to zero and didn't notice it.

WHY

I was getting my dopamine from playing guitar 10 hours a day.

People who use NRT's go back to smoking at the same rate as those who don't after 6 months. Some just stay on them forever. 

PrimeNumberJD

jonescarp.aka.dale.Jan_2007 wrote:

put one [a patch] in my wallet with the promise I would put it on rather than smoke. It stayed there my first year, I never needed it.

I never put it on this time around, I carried one with the promise. I still have one on my desk at work and in my bag, mostly because I haven't cleaned them off, but also as a reminder of my promise to me!

These agreements with ourselves give us an out rather than automatic failure

That gives us the time to refocus.

0 Kudos