cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

liamarie463

Would you say trying a replacement medication is effective or it will just bring you back to tobacco use? 

Im trying to decide if i should quit cold turkey or with a medication replacement. 

24 Replies
JACKIE1-25-15

Welcome. There are NRT Nicotine Replacement Therapy which are patches, lozenges, gum, inhalers which have worked for many if used properly.  The same goes for the  Medication such as Welbutrin, Chantix which has also worked for others. The medication worked for me.  I just set a deadline of how long I was going to use it and adhered to it.. Many have gone cold turkey which has also had it's benefits.  I believe that it is a choice what would work best for the individual. 

I didn't have success using meds the way they said. If I had nicotine in me I craved it from a cigarette. 

Using it as an option for emergencies when I am having a "fit", something to calm me when I want to reach for that smoke, is working much better.

PrimeNumberJD

You just keep on that train! It gets easier and easier; do what you have to do to stay quit! 

marciem

Hi there... WELCOME~~

The important thing is to quit smoking.  Not how you do it, there isn't really a "best" way.  The way that works to get you smoke-free and keep you smoke-free is YOUR "best way".  Cold turkey works for many, NRT's work for many, and medications (Wellbrutin, Chantix) have worked for many.

Congratulations on your decision to quit smoking!!  Your biggest "quit aids" will be your commitment, attitude and EDUCATION about this addiction.  Stay close, read read read, and post all you can.  Just don't smoke !!

PrimeNumberJD

Screenshot_20190714-232949_Chrome.jpg

Whatever quit works for you, that is what you should do. Whyquit.com outlines why quitting without NRT is the way to go however, some of the latest research shows a combination of patches and gum/lozenges to be very effective. 

Ultimately, you will find people here who have quit both ways. The most important thing is to ensure you have a great support group, this site works rather well, but wherever you get it, just ensure you get it. 

Welcome to the Ex!

0 Kudos
constanceclum

Some say cold turkey is better as you "get through it" faster. I never believed I would make it without some help so I use the patch. The first week I also used nicotine lozenges. Like jackie pointed out, it's important to set a deadline and be careful with lozenges, gum as some people will get addicted to them.

Connie

0 Kudos
Barbscloud

Welcome.   I used nicotrol inhalers and Welbutrin.  In addition, the support from this community helped to make it all possible.

Barb

0 Kudos
Barbara145

I believe Mayo Clinic research says you are much more likely to be successful on NRT's than without.  I know I could not have done it without NRT's.

0 Kudos
PrimeNumberJD

ACS2003Table3.gif

From whyquit.com and is an American Cancer Society graphic. Nearly 90% of quitters do so cold Turkey. 

The problem with the claim of doubling the chance of quitting is in the study methodology. Those in the study received heavy counseling; most people receive little to no counseling in real life! The fact is, advertisers utilize this for their product though it has been found that this does not translate from a clinical setting to real life. 

I haven't found a study to support this, but it would seem support and counseling are critical factors. If we were able to survey every quitter for how they felt they were supported and whether there was counseling, my hypothesis is we would find a critical factor in quitting smoking. 

At the end of the day, whatever method gets you there, is the method you should use. Whatever will work for you, do that! 

In case counseling/ support is rather important, keep the Sexy Exers close!