cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Thovis

Is waking up in middle of night normal?

I hit two weeks today.  I'm doing pretty good.  I keep waking up around midnight and staying awake for 2-3 hours.  Is this normal?  I don't usually have problems sleeping.  

7 Replies
YoungAtHeart

Welcome to our community!

/blogs/Youngatheart.7.4.12-blog/2016/10/08/a-repost-early-withdrawal-symptoms  - Sleep problems are common, as you can see!  You might try keeping a book or crossword on your nightstand and distract for a bit instead of lying there and worrying about getting back to sleep.

Congratulations on making it through H#ll and Heck Weeks! 

The important thing you can do right now is to educate yourself on what nicotine does to your body and mind. To that end, I highly recommend Allen Carr's “The Easy Way to Stop Smoking.” This is an easy and entertaining read you can search for online or at your local library. If you do nothing else,  please do give this a read.  The better you understand this addiction, the better your chances of beating it long term.

You should also read the posts here and perhaps go to the pages of folks who you think might be helpful. You might visit whyquit.com, quitsmoking.com and livewell.com for the good information contained there. @https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/groups/best-of-ex has lots of blogs written by members of this site with their experiences and guidance. Here is a video to inform you further about nicotine addiction: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IpWMgPHn0Lo&feature=youtu.be.

The idea is to change up your routines so the smoking associations are reduced.  Drink your coffee with your OTHER hand in a place different from when you smoked. Maybe switch to tea for a bit.  If you always had that first smoke with your coffee, try putting your tennies on right out of bed, going for a quick walk, then taking your shower and THEN your coffee! Rearrange the furniture in the areas you used to smoke so the view is different. Buy your gas at a different station. Take a different route to work. Take a quick walk at break time where the smokers AREN'T.

You need to distract yourself through any craves.  You can take a bite out of a lemon (yup - rind and all), put your head in the freezer and take a deep breath of cold air, do a few jumping jacks, go for a brisk walk or march in place, play a computer game.  Keep a cold bottle of water with you from which to sip. Don't let that smoking thought rattle around in your brain unchallenged. Sometimes you need to quit a minute or an hour at a time.  You will need to be disciplined in the early days to distract yourself when a crave hits.    Get busy!  Here is a link to a list of things to do instead of smoke if you need some fresh ideas:
 https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/blogs/Youngatheart.7.4.12-blog/2013/02/25/100-things-to-do-instea...
The conversation in your head in response to the "I want a cigarette" thought needs to be, "Well, since I have decided not to do that anymore, what shall I do instead for the three minutes this crave will last?"  Then DO it.  You will need to put some effort into this in the early days, but it gets easier and easier to do.

Stay close to us here and ask questions when you have them and for support when you need it. We will be with you every step of the way!

Nancy

annejdav

From about day 14 to 25 I was waking up in the middle of the night as well.  I just grabbed a book and started reading.  In no time at all I was sleepy and able to go back to sleep.  The last 3 nights though I've been able to sleep through the night!

JACKIE1-25-15

Yes, insomnia can be one of the withdrawal symptoms.  There are load and loads of blogs on it.  I had to deal with it tool  Fortunately I was retired and did not have to go to work the next day. I would come here and read blogs. Clean closets. rearrange drawers.  I would take a nap whenever I could.  I just had made up my mind that this too shall pass.  Stay close, the journey continues.  Congratulations on remaining free and not using it as an EXcuse to start smoking again. 

Barbara145

I had trouble sleeping early on in my quit. Ride it out.  Sleeps gets better for most after quitting. 

GyorgyiM

I knew when I stopped smoking, I should expect the worst...and that is just how I handled it...

When I woke up at all hours of the night I would take in a deep breath of air and hold it with a giant smile on my face just knowing my lungs are gaining  more and more capacity each and every day....because I am a NON SMOKER.

It made me so happy to recognize that  I was getting healthier that I nearly said out loud "COME ON NICOTINE, SHOW ME WHAT YOU'VE GOT"!!  because I knew for A FACT that all of this was only TEMPORARY. 

I stopped smoking on 2/20/2018 and to this day.....I WON THAT WAR.

You got this!

Miles of Smiles

Gyorgyi

minihorses

Hello and nice to meet you. I found that there is really no such thing as 'normal' when it comes to quitting smoking.  Just like smoking/vaping affects everyone somewhat differently, stopping smoking/vaping is different for everyone.  I get sick as a dog and do nothing but barf and sleep.  The sleeping so much is unlike me.  I quit over a year ago and now I have the problem that you are experiencing; waking up in the middle of the night and being awake for 2 - 3 hours. For an old-school remedy, warm milk or chamomile tea help.  You can also try taking melatonin (a natural hormone for sleep).  Maybe reading something light would help. I use CBD when I can't get back to sleep in a reasonable time frame. I don't recommend just going out and buying some locally or get it off some unknown website. I get mine from an FDA certified lab and supplier.  I hope you will soon begin sleeping better as you get through the early stages and just think how great you will feel when you are sleeping and NOT smoking.  

Julie

0 Kudos
PrimeNumberJD

Yes, totally normal. If you have time to be mindful about it, see how you feel when you wake up. I felt, even despite the waking up, I slept better over all.

This too shall pass, it doesn't last forever!