cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Caitlynnbooth

Hi! My first time posting

hello I’m a 21 year old and I am desperately looking to quit nicotine. I used a juul from 2017-2018, now I have been using e-cigarettes (novo, sourin). I have never smoked a cigarette in my life, but I want to stop smoking nicotine for my health. I want to live a happy long life. I just need tips on how others have quit. My boyfriend doesn’t plan to quit so when he has an e cigarette around me I just want to hit it. Please send tips how to quit, I usually just smoke it when I’m bored but when I’m out doing stuff I tend not to hit it as much. I plan to stop right now. So please help me get through it  

0 Kudos
11 Replies
sweetplt

Hi and Welcome to Ex’s Caitlynnbooth 

Glad you found our site....you may want to take a look at the group for E~cig and vape quitters....

E-Cig and Vape Quitters and Users 

Please read at My EX Plan | BecomeAnEX and where it says cigarettes replace with vape/ecig...honestly we are all addicts to nicotine...so not a big difference.  Ask your boyfriend to support you, by vaping/ecig no where around you...also, you are right, most of this quit after the physical withdrawal is the mental withdrawal...finding things to do other than smoke...here is a list that will get you started /blogs/Youngatheart.7.4.12-blog/2013/02/25/100-things-to-do-instead-of-smoke?sr=search&searchId=14dc... 

Keep close to the support site to encourage others on this journey and to get help...we are all in this together ... You can do this...commit to a quit...Happy Thursday ... now get working on that quit...~ Colleen 283 DOF 

Barbscloud

Welcome to the Ex.   Read everything Colleen suggested.   Education and preparation are the key to be a successful quitter.   Staying busy or just going for a walk was key for me.   Can you ask you boyfriend for support and refrain from doing it around you?   We're here for you. Just reach out!

Barb

JACKIE1-25-15

Welcome. Quick Tip.  Cut straws and keep them easy access and suck on them.  Fresh air is so much better.  You can do this. https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/people/AnnetteMM/blog/2019/09/08/how-to-quit-juul-or-vaping-in-ge... 

elvan

DO ask your boyfriend for support, not to vape in front of you, not to leave his equipment laying around, I understand that it does not leave a lingering odor but ask him to step outside if he feels like he is going to vape.    Congratulations on your wisdom for someone so young, it is sincerely heartening for those of us who are watching so many young people become addicted to nicotine without even realizing what is happening.  I doubt that any of us ever expected to become addicts but nicotine is a very powerful drug.

Welcome to EX.

Ellen

Madeleine0622

Please know you’re not alone I am 57 and I quit smoking for five years 10 years just recently three years and I started smoking again this summer for no good reason today’s my first day without a cigarette even though I’ve been chewing Nicorette gum for years I need to quit that too but right now I just wanna quit smoking I did good all day and then I came home 

My husband is working late and my sister is at my moms I am bored and lonely My mind keeps telling just go buy a pack of cigarettes and sit out back on the deck and you won’t feel so lonely 

I know it is a lie but I just want to stop feeling sad 

good luck to you I am so glad I found this site 

nicotine sucks I feel like such a screw up and an addict

I can’t beleive I am back here again I pray God will take these cravings away

0 Kudos
JACKIE1-25-15

Congratulations on making the decision to take back your life.  As you know quitting is doable.  Education is the key to a successful quit.  Knowing the Law about addiction will help you on the journey for a forever quit. /blogs/JACKIE1-25-15-blog/2019/02/01/know-the-law?sr=search&searchId=d00c09a0-d3d2-4f3d-b097-25e7437...‌ That includes the Nicorette gum. 

Quitting smoking is doable if you make quitting smoking your number one priority and make up your mind that you can.  Relearning your thinking that you do not have to smoke or vape is a good beginning.  Make a commitment never ever take another puff.  NOPE.  Take smoking off the table as an option and do something different. 101 Things to Do Instead of Smoke SINAO smoking is not an option.  That is NOPE concept not one puff ever. It is not by will power but your willingness to let it go forever.   Quitting is the easy part.  Staying quit takes work.   Learning to protect your quit will keep on your journey forever freedom. This journey is one day at a time.  Never give up, never give in. Hang tough Stay Close.

Education is the key to successfully quit. Read, Study, Blog, and be willing to do the work.  With the help of the EX Community you can have a forever quit.  Start by educating yourself about the addiction to nicotine. Again, Know the LAW!  Go to My EX Plan | BecomeAnEX  and review the videos and learn more about  your triggers and how to prepare when the urges come

I was advised to read Allen Carr's Easyway to Quit Smoking which can be found on pdf on the web.  Another good site to get info which was very helpful to me is available at this site  www.whyquit.com.  There are several articles to read.  Nicotine 101 and FreedomFrom Nicotine My Journey Home.  To get help on navigating this site go to. Community Help‌.  The main thing is to stay closel.  Come here first before you light up. Talk about it.  We will help.

0 Kudos
Barbscloud

Welcome to the Ex Madeleine0622 (Just a note-check the date on a previous post.  This one is old ).  But that's not important; what is, is that you want quit smoking and the realization that some support can help to make it a reality.   Read about nicotine addiction on this site.  Having an understanding of this addiction give you the understanding you need to be successful.  And create a quit plan--  knowing what you'll do in advance instead of smoking; creating new associations instead of smoking, etc.  It's about being prepared.

Don't beat yourself up.  It serves no purpose.  It's not easy to quit-we're addicts.  It takes work, but you can do it one day at a time.

We're here to support you.  You just need to reach out anytime you need encouragement or want to share your journey.  It is a journey. Understanding the stages of quitting keeps you moving forward.

Barb

0 Kudos
Maki

Welcome to Ex . Welcome to your new smoke / vape free life . I promise you it's worth it .  One day at a time . Welcome to Ex . Below is a poem I wrote not that far into my quit . You see , I've been there where you are , I understand the fear you might be feeling and the apprehension . I promise you .... quitting is one thing you won't regret . You will rise like so many on this journey to appreciate the journey and be grateful for it too . It is truly freeing . 

You are giving smoking or vaping up for something so much better and truly gaining so much more . Congrats on one of the best decisions ever . 

Maki ( sjl) 

RoseH

This is a very detailed “How To Quit Smoking”...

Click on the link below:

https://www.addictionsandrecovery.org/quit-smoking/how-to-quit-smoking-plan.htm

0 Kudos