cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

samillervzw

Hello. My first time posting🙂. Is there any advice to help a person quit smoking with major anxiety issues?

I have done some reading and have found some very useful information on this website. I am hoping following the guidelines and tips will help me succeed in quitting. I want to quit for my health but my anxiety tells me different. How do I get past the anxiety of not smoking? I am on anxiety medication and have tried chantix which I recently stopped due to the fact it was altering my moods. But I know how I get without having cigarettes (a monster), which is why it is so hard for me to quit. I despise being that way. I feel terrible for anyone who is around me when I run out of smokes. If anyone has suggestions, I’m willing to try anything right now. My quit date is Oct 1st and so far I’ve cut back drastically but I still fear I will turn into the ‘monster’ I despise so much. 

25 Replies
constanceclum

Many people here, including myself, quit in spite of depression/anxiety. The trick is realizing that smoking really does not help anxiety. In fact it makes it worse. Many people will be commenting on how to utilize this site for the best possible outcome for you.

JACKIE1-25-15

Anxiety is one of the main topics here. Use the magnifying glass top right corner and use the keyword to search.

This comment is from a previous blog. 

You have to figure out what stresses you out and find your happy spot while these things go on around you. Close your eyes concentrate on your heart beats and your breathing. Slow them down. Try to breath slow, eyes closed tune out what is going on. If you need to, excuse yourself to a safe place. Meditation type stuff, you can find a lot just google it meditation.
OxfordComa

Different tips and tricks work for different people. I can tell you what works for me and hope that offers some support but in my experience, it's trail and error.

The most important thing for me is to reframe my quit. When I was younger, I always viewed it as this insurmountable goal, something I would have to white knuckle through, something that was about will power and strength of character. This approach has never worked for me. It puts me in the mindset of punishing myself and shaming, which just leads to a quick breakdown for me. Instead, I now work really hard at framing my quit as a celebration of self. I try to view it as a necessary path in healing my body, and cravings as a instigator for self-care time. It's still hard, but when you view it as a gift to yourself, as necessary self-care, and reward yourself for doing well as opposed to beat yourself up, it seems to be more effective (at least for me  ).

And that reframe allowed me to really up my self-care game. I learned how to say no to people. How to give myself space and time to work though my shit. I started meditating regularly (I even timed my quit with the start of a meditation class at work) and made sure I kept myself busy with exercise or hobbies (I even picked up puzzling!). 

I hope that helps. Lots of us struggle with anxiety and depression but there are some really great coping mechanisms around. If you have a health coach available to you in your area or a psychologist you could talk to, they might be able to offer you better advise tailored to what you're dealing with ❤️ 

And we're always here for you! 

samillervzw

Thank you all for commenting and showing support. I’ve never reached out before. Time to put pride aside and realize I do need the help. It seems silly a stupid cigarette can see to control so much of my life. It’s time to control the cigarette and push it out the door. 

JACKIE1-25-15

Yes!  Push it out the door and slam it shut. 

Barbscloud

Welcome to the Ex.   This has been my first experience with a support group to quit smoking and I'll be at 1 1/2 years in two days.  I did use some aids, but I know the support from this community has made all the difference.  Anxiety is a common topic here.  It's probably one of the reasons we began to smoke in the first place.  I had few physical withdrawal symptoms as mine was more emotional.  It truly can be an emotional roller coaster.   Continue to prepare for our Oct 1st quit day.  Education and preparation are the key to success.  We're here for you, just continue to reach out.  We'll be here celebrating with you on the 1st!

Barb

YoungAtHeart

Read all you can about nicotine addiction.  I recommend you start with Allen Carr's book, ""The EasyWay to Stop Smoking." Once you accept that smoking does not do one thing you thought it did, you will have a head start on success.

Track each cigarette you smoke and find things you will do instead when you quit.  Change up your routines so the smoking associations are reduced.I

Education and planning are key!

I 'm glad you are here!

Nancy

indingrl

Yahooooooo progress not perfection - good job

I suffer from severe anxiety(GAD) and panic attacks. Now I have nearly 10 years quit. Type anxiety in the search window above and read what other quitters have to say. You will find that smoking adds to anxiety. While withdrawal temporarily accelerates anxiety it eventually relieves it! 

/blogs/Thomas3.20.2010-blog/2015/10/23/taking-anxiety-down-from-12-to-3-and-heading-for-0?sr=search&...