cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

tpcan

From Cigs to Vape

After 40+ years of smoking cigarettes, I quit them almost a year ago... however...

now it’ a Blu (similar to a Juul). I can definitely breathe better than when smoking, but we all know that anything we’re sucking into our lungs is bad, so now I have to kick this habit...

i haven’t missed cigarettes, but I have a crutch in this stupid vape... I have set Oct 1 as my kick the puff day! Wish me luck!

8 Replies
JACKIE1-25-15

Welcome to EX, you have come to the right place for support. It is not a  total habit that you have to kick.  Along with the habit of putting something in your mouth you have to kick the addiction of nicotine to your body.  Addiction is addiction no matter what device you use.  By educating yourself first on addiction www.whyquit.com  Nicotine 101, you with have a foundation for a successful quit.  https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/groups/best-of-ex/blog/2013/08/11/foundation-for-a-successful-qui...‌.  Come here often, participate We will support you. 

Quitting smoking is a process, and it often involves a few bumps at first as you experiment with what works for you.  Don’t give up!  Talk to someone who supports your efforts, seeking support from a health professional, and filling your “quit smoking toolbox” with cognitive and behavioral strategies will help prepare you for a smoke-free future.

Dr. Hays Mayo Clinic

https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/community/expert-advice/blog/2016/01/22/what-to-expect-when-stopp... 

YoungAtHeart

All that you can read here about nicotine addiction applies to vaping -it's just a different delivery device.  Education is key,so read all you can.  I understand some of the pods contain as much nicotine as a pack of cigarettes, so you may be getting more of it than you realize.  Start putting off each puff, then track each one -noting it's importance and start thinking about what else you can do when you quit.  Change up your routines to lessen the associations and triggers.  

We will be with you every step of the way, so ask questions when you have them and for support when you need it.

Nancy

Barbscloud

Welcome to the Ex and congrats on your decision to quit.   I have no experience with vaping, but I'm also a nicotine addict.  The big difference is that you can vape anywhere, which I believe makes it more difficult to quit.  Smoker's have to find a location and wait to get their fix.  Use the time until Oct 1 to educate yourself about nicotine and create a quit plan if you haven't done so already.  My EX Plan | BecomeAnEX    We'll be here to cheer you on!

Barb

AnnetteMM

sweetplt

HI and Welcome to Ex’s tpcan 

You received great advice above me...I would like to add you may want to check out the group   https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/groups/e-cig-users and /blogs/Youngatheart.7.4.12-blog/2013/02/25/100-things-to-do-instead-of-smoke?sr=search&searchId=7ac9... 

Happy Tuesday ~ Colleen 281 DOF

0 Kudos
indingrl

Welcome and YOUR CHOICE  - PLEASE I HOPE you  choose to quit - NOW and live - MY news in Illinois area - just reported 6 vaping DEATH age 50yr DEAD -  490 ER lungs infected from vaping and TOTAL DEATHS SIX TODAY!

0 Kudos
elvan

Welcome to EX, education about this miserable addiction is the most important thing in your quit kit and then comes the support of people who have been exactly where you are and your own commitment not to vape/smoke no matter what.  Stay close to the site and know that we are all here to help.

Ellen

0 Kudos
JACKIE1-25-15

I wish I could wish you luck but luck has nothing to do with quitting.  It is about commitment and never ever taking another puff no matter what. I take learning about your addiction and not feeding it so that it will die. You can od it. I am reaching out to you to let you know that we care and are here to help you.  October 1 is your quit date.  Are you doing any of the preparation and reading planning and suggested advice.  Let us know what your thoughts are.  You have come to the right place for support. 

0 Kudos