cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

MaryRobin

While Withdrawals Kick In... Is this this Normal?

I am in the midst of cutting back my juul for my quit date of Sept. 25: I have 15 days to go, and am preparing the best I can- cutting back from 1 pod a day to 1 pod every 3-5 days. So far, I am making it, and testing out toothpicks, gum, Vick’s vapor rub- everything during cravings before I take a hit.

In this process of cutting back, I have developed a cold....or congestion...or coughing up a lot of stuff from my lungs. I am hyper aware of my heart rate and the heaviness in my chest. I am fine- no cause to rush to hospital or anything like the recent sicknesses or deaths, but I am wondering if this is part of withdrawal/lungs cleaning out? From my research, funk starts to need to be coughed out. Is this just a cold (which in some way you s helping me prep to quit) or is it what naturally happens as one starts getting nicotine out of the system/lungs? I also have been wheezing just a little and feeling a little bit of tightness in the chest.... Any input is welcome!! Thanks so much and 15 days to go....looking forward to it, actually. Nervous, but excited to be FREE, too.

Labels (1)
14 Replies
PrimeNumberJD

What you described seems very familiar to me. I even had a sore throat. You don't seem overly concerned, but of course, if you do, head to the hospital. 

My heart rate fluctuated a decent amount in the first 2 months and has finally stabilized. I've had sporadic, sharp, growing pains on the side of my chest by my lungs, but in the ribs. I also went through a period where my eyes watered like I was experiencing allergies and a nose that ran so fast Usain Bolt wouldn't have been able to catch it. 

I mostly forgot about these until you asked this question. I'm getting excited to read your blogs as you quit! Once you start, the nervousness/ anxiousness will dissipate. 

One thing I would've done is been mindful of when I was getting my nicotine. I thought about what I felt and thought when I smoked, but would've liked to get some notes when I was doing it. I don't remember liking it when I was doing it. Perhaps be mindful of how you feel when you hit the JUUL. Them I can live vicariously through you. 

Oh, my sick like symptoms didn't last long. Cough lasted the longest. 

MaryRobin

Thank you so much for writing me: Yes, I will make notes about how I feel while I am hitting the juul now that it is less and less...I will blog about this later today. In a worse- LOW. I can feel it like a heaviness as I take it in. I am trying to be very conscious about each drag, and how it doesn’t make me feel good. Last night while I was writing the question I posed, I took two hits and wasn’t really taking the time to simply focus on them, and I regretted it....It was like...a waste....like all the others before I began to quit. 

Flu-like symptoms and sinus infection-like feeling: that is what this feels like. And the chest pain isn’t bad at all- more a struggle to get a full breath from time to time, and a tiny wheeze when I do, but it comes and goes. As does the feeling of funk coming up from the very back of the throat and lower. Gross- I am sorry- I just feel it is important to share and get feedback from others who have been there....

Thank you again, and 15 days to go....I wish i could do it faster, but want to use the time left to ensure I can and will make this quit last forever.

PrimeNumberJD

Tell away, I like top hear success stories; withdrawl symptoms equal success!

As far as 15 days goes, stick to your plan... search for the blog by YoungAtHeart‌ "Give this the time it takes." Like a wizard's arrival, you'll wit exactly when you mean to! 

JACKIE1-25-15

Click on the link below. This may give you some reassurance. What you are feeling for the most part for some is normal.  However, if you feel it is more than the normal withdrawal please see your physician. Chest pain 

sweetplt

Hi MaryRobin I quit cigarettes and this was my third and last quit ... anyways, my physical withdrawal was worse then the mental for me...I had head fog, cough/sore throat, headaches, just overall body aches...all lasting about 2 weeks...then I got a really bad sinus infection and upper respiratory...till I was better, I was will on my quit...I found I needed a lot of rest, lots of fluids...and yes I coughed up a lot of stuff from my lungs...some talk here about a quit/smoker’s flu...and I think I definitely had it...after I went through all of this I felt so much better...any concerns though, consult your Doctor...Happy Tuesday ~ Colleen 281 DOF 

Barbscloud

Welcome to the Ex and congrats on your decision quit.  Even though I didn't experience those symptoms, many have.  There are physical, emotional and psychological symptoms associated with quitting.  Mine were more emotional.  Obviously cutting back is having a positive effect already.  That should be a real incentive for you.  As everyone has said, if concerned please consult a physician.  Will be here celebrating with you in 15 days!

Barb

Court2Knee

Hi Mary! I just quit 5 days ago and I am experiencing some of the same symptoms that you are. My throat hurts, chest is congested, have a headache and trouble breathing. I am going to take Mucinex because this seems to always help when I have sinus/chest issues. 

PrimeNumberJD

Court2Knee‌ first, congrats on five days, your urges strength and frequency should be all downhill from here! 

While I'm not happy your are experiencing all the symptoms you are having, I am happy. It is a necessary part of your quit. In past failed attempts, I would return to smoking around this period and it would make it all that much worse! 

You're killing it!

MaryRobin

Wow- thanks for writing! It helps to know I am not alone, although I am sorry you have the same symptoms...just a crazy amount of mucus, right?!

Mucinex is great- I may try that....I tried Sudafed but it makes me jumpy.

I have switched to ginger chews, cinnamon toothpicks (really spicy!) and a drink of water, lemon juice, and cayenne....It is supposed to help clear and detox the system. They all really help.:))