cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

arosenbe

Nicotine gum or patch while quitting vaping?

Similar story to many on here--former cigarette smoker, current Juul addict.  Quit date in 2 weeks.  I'm feeling moderately confident, knowing that I'm going to throw all the vaping materials away and am too lazy and cheap to buy them again--I hope.

Question on everyone's experiences using NRT (nicotine patch or gum).  It seems like there are a lot of negative comments on them and I'm interested in everyone's point of view.

Thanks, great resource.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
13 Replies
YoungAtHeart

I personally recommend NRT's that don't let the addict control the dose such as the patch. If you only use the others as a last resort, you have less of a chance of becoming addicted to THEM.

To prepare for your quit, read all you can about nicotine addiction, put off vaping and get busy to lessen your use, and change up your routines to lessen the triggers and associations.

I'm glad you are here!

Nancy

Sootie

I did not use NRT's but I certainly am not negative about them. You need to remember to use them as directed AND....most importantly to know they are "aides" to help you quit........they do not "quit" for you. That has to come from within.

Welcome to EX....we are all here for each other.

sweetplt

Hello and Welcome to Ex’s arosenbe 

I think they are a great quit aid if you use them as directed...by weaning down and off...I quit cold turkey because years ago I tried the gum and it made me feel sick...so I had no choice...but I have seen the NRT’s help ...Happy Tuesday ~ Colleen 281 DOF 

0 Kudos
Barbscloud

Welcome to the Ex and congrats on your decision to quit.  Everyone on this site is not opposed NRT. There are many here that have used an aid and are successful quitters. I am close to 1 1/2 years and used Welbutin and nicotrol inhalers.  You still have to do the work but it can make the withdrawal easier.  In fact, thinking back, I had emotional symptoms, but not physical.  I didn't even have the cough many speak of.  We're all different.  Hopefully you will hear from others that also used aids.  Continue to prepare for your quit in two weeks.  Will be here to celebrate with you.

Barb

AnnetteMM

too lazy and cheap to buy them again-

HA!  That was ME to a T! That laziness will serve you well. You are also so right in planning to throw it all away. That's what I did, never looking back.  Look forward, always.  As for NRT, I didn't do it.  (Actually I'd planned to use lozenges, but they're nasty)

Sootie

So right Annette! Don't look back...............................

PrimeNumberJD

I would love to hear your opinion on what will get you quit! 

I've noticed it is about 50/50 on what works, what will work for you? If you want a great no NRT point of view,  whyquit.com or Allen Carr's easyway to quit smoking. 

The newest thought (articles I've read based on studies)  is patches AND gum. The gum for the fist few days/ week to take the edge off as you get used to a lesser dosage and break the psychological barriers. 

Then, if you have used patches before, you are 99 percent likely to fail when using them again. 

I used cold Turkey. As whyquit.com and Allen Carr point out, 3 days for the nicotine to leave your system. It also is the peak in intensity and interval for cravings. 3 hard days and it starts to get easiest. At 30 days or so, I started to feel real solid about my quit; using patches I would've been on stage 2, 14 mg. 

In the end, the one thing you need is Not One Puff Ever... if you do this, you quit smoking forever. 

Also, this site and these people; they are all so understanding and helpful. Keep the Sexy Exers close? 

JACKIE1-25-15

How are you doing?

0 Kudos
arosenbe

Your timing for asking is perfect.  I switched from 5mg to 3 mg for my last 4-pack of Juul pods and Ive got about a quarter pod left, so quit time is imminent.  Today will be my last day and tomorrow is the official quit day.

I’ve got nicotine lozenges and I’m ready to go.  Honestly, I’ m a bit grumpy about the whole thing, but I’m gonna do it.

thanks so much for reaching out.