cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discuss different approaches to quitting, including medication

ladybug1218

Quitting Nicotine

Hi everyone! I was just wondering if someone could tell me how nicotine gum works? I have done a lot of research but would love to hear feedback from people who have actually used it/if they recommend it?

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
PastTense

Hey, Ladybug!!

I have used the nicotine gum in the past.

The first time I used it, I got sick to my stomach because I hadn't read the directions and didn't use it correctly.  You can't just chew like regular gum.  You kind of soften it up and leave it under your tongue or beside your jaw. 

I never had any luck with it, to be honest; but I never used it in accordance with package instructions.  I thought I would just pop a piece of gum whenever I was craving and magic would happen.

Magic does not happen.

I used the mints this time, in conjunction with a written quit plan and I followed the instructions and it's worked well for me.  I think they give you a little relief and it's just enough to help you change your behavior and create new habits.

Lessons learned the hard way

1. Read and follow the directions

2. Use as part of a written quit plan

Hope this helps you and we see more of you on this site

PT

Day 42

Keep the Quit
PT
sweetplt

I had experience in my first quit back in 2003 I used the gum...it gave me horrible stomach cramps so I had to get off it...I followed instructions, but actually they wanted me to use more than I could use it...it tastes awful...I switched to bubble gum...I think it can help the quit if one has a plan and weans off...I had a friend who quit smoking, but never quit the gum...she died a few years after her quit of lung cancer...she actually got addicted to the gum...and was told that was bad by the Doctors...~ Colleen 282 DOF 

0 Kudos
PrimeNumberJD

I swears it tried to kill me master (best Smeagle voice). I also did not read the directions, chewed it like a normal piece of gum. I second what PastTense‌ suggested. Also, head over to whyquit.com, there is a lot of good information in quitting 101, the whole site really, this is a good place to start. 

JACKIE1-25-15

Here is a link from Nicorette web site.  I am sure there are different brands but this should give you a better understanding of how the gum works. How Does Nicorette Work | Nicorette 

0 Kudos