cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

PastTense

The weight

Oh my stars!  The weather has gotten a little cooler around here so I pulled out a pair of slacks for work this morning that I haven't warn since Feb/Mar.  I managed to stuff myself into them and get them zipped, but it was not a pretty sight.  You know those biscuits that come in a tube?  You smack the tube against the side of the counter and they kind POOF out?  (We call them womp biscuits in the South).  That's the visual you need.  POOFed out at the top, tight everywhere else.

Those trousers went back in the closet and I rummaged until I found something that was clean and fit.  Or, at least fit better.  Weather and fashion were not part of the sartorial decision-making at that point.

I accepted that I might gain a little weight quitting smoking.  I had not anticipated how much weight.  But it makes sense.  I have basically become a Hobbit since quitting - you know; first breakfast, second breakfast, followed by elevensies, lunch, tea, afternoon snack, and supper.

Feeling annoyed today.  Quitting is the best thing I have ever done for my health; but since I quit, my sinuses have gotten worse, my face has broken out, my digestion is delicate, and I've got fat.  That is NOT what I signed up for.

Or maybe it is. 

PT

Still quit, staying quit

Day 40

Keep the Quit
PT
7 Replies
marciem

I'm proud of you, PastTense‌ !!  40 days smoke-free is an accomplishment to cherish!!

now, "quit-zits", weight gain, massive constipation/the opposite or gas-passing, and "quitters flu" (maybe the sinuses?) ... all part of the quit process for some.  Some folks have some, some get them all, some are lucky and don't meet these buggers... but hey can all be attributed to the TEMPORARY discombobulations of quitting (not sure on the sinuses, you might want that checked).

In a few weeks, if the weight gain continues or doesn't steady out with diet modifications and exercise, you might check with your doc about thyroid, but for now your quit is your primary most important concern.  In My Opinion.

Remember again, the bad parts of quitting smoking are TEMPORARY, the benefits are PERMANENT and ever-growing!!  Keep up the good work!!

YoungAtHeart

How your pants fit,zits and all the rest will be small concerns compared to hauling around an O2 container that might be in your future if you didn't quit.

40 days is huge!  Try for now to sub some frozen grapes, rice crackers or plain popcorn in between the garbage, and increase your exercise.  

You will have more time, energy and $$$ (maybe a gym?) to address the weight when you are a bit further along in your quit.

Keep going....you are doing GREAT!

Nancy

indingrl

DAY 40 CONGRATS - Yahoooooooooo I aint ALONE - I have gained and lost and gained and lost since being BORN - PLEASE I am talking about ME NOT anyone else -  NOW- TODAY -  I pray and ask MY God EACH day in MY Lord Jesus name and  by MY Holy Spirit in ME - asking to pay attention and ask MY self - am I hungry - if so eat - portion control and WAIT 20 minutes before second eating - FYI - no second HELPING needed - it took ME 14 YEARS to learn that for ME - please take what HELPS and let go of the rest - to be HELPFUL is MY only aim - thank you

Sootie

A normal part of the quit.......SOMETIMES.....quitting can affect your thyroid so you may want to check with your doctor on that. But, honestly, you are like ALL of us.......eating a little more due to the quit. That will settle down in the coming months. Try to do something else with your hands and get moving a bit with walking or whatever you are able to do. As YoungAtHeart‌ pointed out....lugging around some extra weight for a few months is nothing compared to lugging oxygen around with you for the rest of your life. That being said, we all acknowledge how frustrating it can be to have your clothes stop fitting. We have a Let's Get Moving Part 3 blog.......search for it and join us. The idea is to encourage each other to just do some moving......you don't have to be a superathlete.........just do some moving every day. And seriously, just watch what you are eating and the weight will even off. It is so much more important to quit.

BarbieGene

I know how you feel!   I love your sense of humor! 

You are awesome!

elvan

I, too, love your sense of humor.  I didn't quit until I got so sick that my choice was to smoke or breathe and it wasn't a choice I wanted to make.  I took lots and lots of deep breaths, I ate Sour Patch Kids because they were so sour that they reset my brain, I couldn't eat too many of them because they burned the inside of my mouth and my tongue.  Unfortunately, I am on oxygen at night and it's loud and extremely heavy, thank God I don't have to haul it around everywhere I go.  I remember someone giving me that same visual when I quit and I shuddered as I thought about it.  I have COPD so my workouts had to be adapted to that and to my shortness of breath but I have managed to keep my weight in tact.  I was really underweight when I quit because my COPD was so bad that I really needed to gain a little weight.  I have never regretted quitting, I only regret that I did not do it sooner.  Hang in there, it DOES get easier and 40 days is amazing.

Ellen

0 Kudos
maryfreecig

Yep, it is what you signed up for. All transitory--but a quit, that's a keeper. Hang in there one day at a time.  Congrats on your smokefree 41. Keep em coming.