cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Dominque

HELP

I m still smoking and was supposed to quit on 9/2! I’m not on any aids. Afraid to take any meds because I already take anti-depressants for depression n anxiety. Last time I quit I was depressed n didn’t want to do anything. I’m obsessing n need help! Can anyone pray for me to quit n stay quit. My husband is pretty much ready to quit. Nothing and no one controls me except the damn cigarette n I’m frustrated because I’ve overcome a lot in my life. Please give me your thoughts. Thank u n a shout out to all of u who have quit. I need strength

Sent from my iPhone

0 Kudos
12 Replies
sweetplt

Hi Dominque 

Take a deep breath...I have to ask did you to the work at this site...? It will truly help you in taking “one step at a time”...

You have depression with smoking...so you will have it with not smoking...that being said, you need to see your Doctor who gives you the depression meds and tell him/her what you have told us...see if they can help you out...Many here suffer with depression, anxiety, etc., and have quit...I suffer from anxiety and it didn’t go away overnight...but in time with my quit it got better, but I had to find other ways to deal with my anxiety...ie., meditation, exercise and breathing exercises...we are here to help you out hon...you have to keep close to the support site...and use us to help your quit...but in the meantime, please see your Doctor...Gotcha in my Thoughts and Prayers....I am lifting you up to God...to come aboard...~ Colleen 279 DOF 

0 Kudos
Dominque

Colleen u have been quite an awesome person I need to chill. Thank u for your prayers

Sent from my iPhone

BoomBoomPants

I was supposed to quit August 13th, then August 28th, then September 3rd, then September 6th, and many days in between. Now my date is set for September 12th. I also live with depression and anxiety. Ive used the NRTs and some meds, but they didn’t work. Someone on here just said to me on here that I’m looking for an outside source to help me, and what I need to do is find the strength within myself to do this, which is right on the nose, for me anyway. Which is hard to do, I know. People who suffer from depression and anxiety are some of the strongest people I know, but we’re also our own worst enemy. I know some will disagree, and many people with mental illnesses have quit,  but science shows that there is an extra element to quitting any addiction when you suffer from mental illness. Like it needs to be more difficult! But it can still be done. Just keep picking yourself up and keep trying. It may be harder for us than the average person, but that will make it that much more rewarding WHEN we quit for good.  

Dominque

Thank u I already left a message for my doctor! I thank u for ur prayers

Sent from my iPhone

Barbscloud

Hi Donna.  Let me know what you need.  You know I'm here for you.  Smoking has been a crutch for many of us that have experienced depression, anxiety, etc.  So when we initially quit, all those emotions are intensified.  It's not easy, but support from wonderful people on this site can really make a difference.  Pick a date and stick to it if only for one day. Then tomorrow becomes day one and on and on.  Believe  you can do it!   I do.  Barb

SMOKING CAN WORSEN THE AFFECTS OF ANY PSYCHOLOGICAL HEALTH CONDITION, WHICH IS WHY NOT SMOKING IS THE BEST APPROACH TO MANAGING YOUR EMOTIONAL HEALTH. KEEP YOUR HORMONE LEVELS WHERE THEY ARE, SO YOU CAN EXPERIENCE FEELINGS OF HAPPINESS WITHOUT HELP FROM NICOTINE!

maryfreecig

In quitting, there is no suppose to--it's at your say so---when you make the decision and proceed forward by not smoking. 

Try to replace--I have to, I've got to, I must--with--I am willing to...

Quitting often boils down to making a decision rather than forcing a quit. 

And in choosing to quit, many quitters must take it one day at a time.

I didn't know I had it in me to quit in 2013. Now, the dust having settled, I can tell you that quitting is an opportunity, not a sentence to misery.

You can get this done.  Stick with Ex.

Dominque

Barb, thank u I called my doctor n left a message for him. I will call u on my next day off

Sent from my iPhone

0 Kudos
Dominque

Thank u u have opened my eyes n thoughts to say I m willing n you r right it doesn’t mean a sentence to misery quite the opposite I hope to find out! Please keep the inspiration coming. God bless

Sent from my iPhone

0 Kudos
maryfreecig

Right, Dominque and in the fluster of quitting we have to keep looking for what will remind us to stay positive or at the very least willing--one day at a time. Keep working for your quit.

0 Kudos