cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Stacey1266

Hi is going cold turkey off the Juul possible

Hi my name is Stacey. I’m 52. I use to smoke cigarettes for 15 years on and off. Then when the ecig came out I finally quit cigarettes...when the Juul came out I’m vaping a pod a day.  I really want to stop because now finding out how bad it is.  I’m totally addicted and I’m so scared I’ll pick up a cigarette again when I quit vaping. Just asking for advise.  Thank you 

0 Kudos
16 Replies

The choice is up to you.

Why don't you try this first.

When your mind is telling you to reach for the juul, say to yourself "I'm going to wait a little longer."

You don't need to deny yourself as that will just frustrate you

Do this for a week or two and see if you aren't using it less.

Breaking the pattern will get you in the right direction, show you you have control, and, prepare you to stop using it.

Stacey1266

Great idea thank you. I’ve been trying to cut it out as much as possible 

0 Kudos
Amlatt

HI Stacey

I am almost 51 same story as you!!......Smoked on and off for 15 years, then picked up vaping, I was buying SOLO pods about $20 every 2 days....have not smoked a cigarette in last 5 years or so, but vaping heavily for three years now and quit cold turkey on September 4th, I am on day three hanging in there but could really use a buddy on this journey....

I am a sucking on cough drops, only hard candy I could find, and doing these weird high knee lifts in the morning as replacement to do coffee vape time and am on the website looking reading and holding on to NOPE for dear life.

Please contact me anytime I am here and I am doing it and YOU can do this with me.....

Ginny

Amlatt

Oh and I am using the distraction technique I stand up from my desk and walk around to the bathroom, looking for blue things next trip will be red things next trip is yellow...etc....it is so helpful for me to get through 5 minutes through the craving .....then drink water, then pop another hard candy in my mouth, then drink water, then hard candy.....I am in day three and I am pretty tired.....  I am totally mourning the loss of my old friend nicotine and I feel sad more than anything else.....just sad and determine and my throat hurts a little still in the dead center right where you shallow, I was feeling pain in my throat prior to quitting though....hoping this feels better soon. 

0 Kudos
Stacey1266

Wow your doing great!! I am having a hard time but I bought the mint because I do not like the flavor so I cut back a lot. But by the weekend I’m not going to buy anymore pods. I’m totally addicted to this Juul I think worse than smoking cigarettes because it’s easier to smoke in the house. I never smoked inside. But your doing so well. Keep up the good work

0 Kudos
SunSalutation

My story as well. I never smoked inside. But I juuled for two years heavily, during all waking hours. I don't even want to think about how much money I wasted on this addiction.

I am on my third and final quit. I may possibly pick up some nicotine gum for an interim period, because i do NOT want to go back to smoking, and i def do NOT want to go back to juul. But so far on day 2 I have not gone to the store for gum. I am sick right now, which gave me a little hand. Who juuls through a sore throat and fever chills? I did, and that was the final straw.

Juul addiction is so insidious. I didn't go anywhere without it, and began to hate myself for being a slave. I was at a pod a day too. If you're still juuling, switch to the 3% asap, try to cut down and put it off as much as possible. Also, once you do gather the courage to quit for good, i recommend getting your juul out of your house, giving it away or destroying it. Yesterday I smashed my juul with a hammer, and it was sad (of course i loved that inanimate unfeeling object!) and dramatic and i feel so free. The other two times I quit I didn't get rid of it, but that's because I knew I wasn't really ready. 

Good luck.

0 Kudos
JACKIE1-25-15

Welcome to EX.  Quitting this terrible addiction whatever the method you choose is as easy or difficult as you make it. Yes, we can do that by simply making up our minds that we are not going to smoke! Period.

There is a success in numbers Amlatt‌. Welcome also.   You have found a great place to receive support. 

The process for quitting cigarette smoking is almost identical to the one for quitting vaping, with the added benefit of being able to fully control the amount of nicotine you use, depending on the e-cig you are using. For most people, it is not that easy, but it can be! Read and learn. Knowledge is power@Quitting E-cigarettes | Guides & Tools | BecomeAnEX Quitting is very hard but doable. It requires discipline.  It is suggested that you wean yourself from the vape by reducing the number of mgs and times that you vape. Tell yourself to wait a little longer. Gradually use less to break away from it.   It really takes the commitment never to touch it again no matter how bad you feel because it gets better in time. You have to go through the withdrawal like any other drug.  To make it easier you have to find distractions that you may enjoy other than vaping. 101 Things to Do Instead of Smoke

0 Kudos
Stacey1266

Hi there. Thank you so much   Yes I have cut back and trying but I am so addicted to the Juul more than I was with cigarettes. So frustrating   

0 Kudos
Amlatt

Oh and I am using the distraction technique I stand up from my desk and walk around to the bathroom, looking for blue things next trip will be red things next trip is yellow...etc....it is so helpful for me to get through 5 minutes through the craving .....then drink water, then pop another hard candy in my mouth, then drink water, then hard candy.....I am in day three and I am pretty tired.....  I am totally mourning the loss of my old friend nicotine and I feel sad more than anything else.....just sad and determine and my throat hurts a little still in the dead center right where you shallow, I was feeling pain in my throat prior to quitting though....hoping this feels better soon. 

0 Kudos