cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

marrontara

How to quit vaping and e-cigs?

Hi. I’m new to this community as I’ve only just found this resource. I’ve attempted to quit nicotine before and been mildly successful but never fully successful in permanently quitting. I was a social cigarette smoker from about 15 years old to 18 years old, then a chain smoker with a 4-5 pack a week habit for about a year from 18-19y.o. Then around age 20 I discover the Juul - this was almost 4 years ago when juuls were not known by young teens and kids, but really were thought to be a better (even safer at the time) alternative to cigarettes. I immediately got on to the Juul and have been doing so for about 3 years now. For 2.5 years I was smoking about 8 pods a week every single week, sometimes more-especially if I was drinking. Then after graduating college I stopped all drinking and scaled back to juul only on weekends, with a max of 2 pods per week. I had been successful in scaling back my usage of juul. But about 4-5 months ago I was prescribed ADHD medication and the stimulant urges my nicotine craving even more than before. I found myself back to using e-cigs every single day. As of late, I have tried other e-cigs to curb my nicotine addiction. I do not only juul and I use more than 1 e-cig on a regular basis. 

I’m concerned for my health and I do not want to continue wasting my money on this horrible addiction but I quite literally cannot go a day without nicotine as my medication makes me go stir-crazy without it. And I cannot withhold my medication just to aid in quitting my nicotine/e-cig addiction. 

Any advise for assisting in quitting e-cigs/vaping, particularly when on AHDH medication is so appreciated. I’m desperate for help! Thank you.

21 Replies
JACKIE1-25-15

You are so right to be concerned about your health. My first advice is to let your doctor know what is happening.  Addiction is addiction no matter what the drug of choice or device is used.  You have come to the right place for support.  Start by learning what nicotine does to the brain. and what your triggers are.  Start My EX Plan | BecomeAnEX  Part of quitting is a mental change of thinking. You have to reprogram the brain that you do not have to vape. The process for quitting smoking is almost identical to the one for quitting vaping, with the added benefit of being able to fully control the amount of nicotine you use, depending on the e-cig you are using.Quitting E-cigarettes | Guides & Tools | BecomeAnEX .  Let me know how things are going. 

marrontara

Thank you for you help! i’m taking this EX plan seriously and am committed to really quitting. I have found in the past that weening myself off vaping is worse and I’m better going cold turkey. I’m learning to identify my triggers as well as the bad habits that I have programmed into my brain. I’m trying to unlearn these things - I completely agree that addiction is a mental state and I’m going to work on reprogramming my brain. Thank you again

sweetplt

Hi and Welcome to Ex’s marrontara 

Jackie above me is right...talk to your Doctor about quitting vape and your concerns with your ADHD...Follow the information recommended on this site, it will help you greatly.  You need to replace smoking/vaping with healthy items (take a walk, do a puzzle, drink water, jumping jacks, etc.). We are in this journey together and here to help you out...keep close to the site and ask for any and all help...Happy Wednesday ~ Colleen 275 DOF 

marrontara

Thank you for the kind words and support. I’m seeing my doctor soon and will bring these concerns to her. I’m going to try drinking water and going for short walks, things to occupy myself. Perhaps also getting lozenges or lollipops too replace the oral fixation! Thanks again for the advice - I appreciate it so much!

PastTense

I am so glad you found us!  This is a great site to get information, support, and advice about ditching nicotine.

My quit is still fairly new (34 days); but it is working this time when many other attempts have failed.  The difference for me was having a written plan.

Your written plan should include whether you will use NRT (like the patch or gum), or go cold turkey.

Also consider your vaping triggers; in the car?  On a work break?  Have a plan for what you will do when those triggers hit.  For instance, my trigger was driving.  I kept a straw in the car and puffed on that while I was driving.  Did I look foolish?  Probably.  Did I smoke?  NOPE!!!

I also encourage you to hang out on this site as much as you can.  Read, pledge, blog, ask, play the games.  This site has really helped me stay focused on my quit.

Good luck and welcome aboard

PT

Keep the Quit
PT
marrontara

Thank you for the advice! Driving is definitely a trigger for me so I will absolutely try the straw method. I have cut out vaping cold turkey before but I found it easy at the time. I guess it was because I didn’t have in my mind that it was permanent. Last night I threw away all my juuls and my e-cigs. Today the craving for the nicotine and the puffing was extremely heavy (as normal on the first day) but found it to be worse than before, I believe this is because I knew this time was me quitting for good. So I went out and bought Nicorette gum 4mg as I was an all day/constant and heavy vaper at 5mg nicotine. I think just the mentality that I have the nicorette backing me up is going to do wonders! I still miss the puffing sensation obviously, so I’m going to try your straw trick. Any tips on when I become fidgety and need a fixation for my hands? Can’t tell you (as well as everyone else) how much the support means to me! Thank you!!

Barbscloud

Welcome to the Ex.   We're hearing from more people everyday that are addicted to vaping.  From what people are describing it sounds worse than smoking if that's possible.   Read everything you can on this site about nicotine addiction and create a quit plan as suggested.   Aside from healthy options to help get you through, such as exercising, NRT and other aids have helped many on this site to quit.   Since eliminating nicotine from your body can cause physical, emotional, or psychological withdrawal symptoms, I agree with consulting with your doctor. We're here to support you.  Wishing you the best on this journey.

Barb

marrontara

Thank you! 

0 Kudos
AllieAllerson

I have been off the juul for 3 days and 18 hours (I am keeping track haha) and have found it to be an absolutely miserable process. I did not take my adhd medication but stayed on the meds I take at night for sleep. I am prescribed 60mg Vyvanse which is a pretty hefty dose and I knew I could not take it and resist the urge to dose myself with nicotine throughout the day. However I did not run any of this by my doctor as far as not taking the Vyvanse these last few days. I had talked with him about stopping the juul prior to my quit date and he seemed to disregard it as being a "non-issue" and did not offer any help with patches since you can get those over the counter. I would definitely give you the same advice others have which is to talk with your doctor who will hopefully be more helpful and knowledgeable than mine. I also want to encourage you that you can quit the juul- it seems like a massive mind game. I look at it as a demon that I am working so hard to starve and even well into day 3 I am having massive cravings. It has been helpful for me to tell a few people I trust (and who are non-judgmental) at work but the biggest help for me has been coming on to this site to see the kind words and encouragement from strangers. You can do this!!