cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Greenwood08

Quitting

So I am ready to take the plunge and quit. This is probably my 25th time trying to stop. 

I am currently only smoking out of boredom. I am a bit worried about returning to work after 2.5 months.  

Many suggestions on how to avoid the boredom pitfall?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
PastTense

Good job on your decision to quit smoking!!  I am not very far into this quit (33 days), and like you, I have "quit" many times and failed.  I believe the reason this quit is succeeding is because I made a plan and wrote it down.

One part of my plan was identifying triggers to smoking.  You have identified that boredom is a trigger for you.  Good job; that's half the battle.  Some ideas for you

1. Stay busy - start a new project and work it.

2. Detail your car

3. Learn to knit (or crochet or embroider) - check out Goodwill for supplies.  I see yarn and stuff all the time

4. Go for a walk

5. Go places that discourage smoking.  A movie, walk around the shopping mall

6. Iron all you shirts

7. Weed the garden, sweep the sidewalk, wash the windows

8. Go for another walk

9. Learn all the words to your favorite Disney song

10. Bake a cake from scratch

11. Clean out your coat closet.  Donate the extra coats and hats you find

12.  Go for another walk

13. Post here; take the daily pledge and start a blog

You will no better than anyone else what is available to you.  Make a written list and have it ready for when you need it.

Good luck!

PT

Keep the Quit
PT
Greenwood08

Thank you for the suggestions. Congratulations on 33 days 

sweetplt

Hello and Welcome to Ex’s Greenwood08 

Glad you made the decision to quit...many of us have quit millions of time until one stuck...I suggest you read and prepare for a quit date at My EX Plan | BecomeAnEX ... Also, read the blogs and here is one that will help with the boredom https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/groups/best-of-ex/blog/2008/05/03/things-to-do-instead-of-smoking... ... you can add to it because there is a whole life out there to live...keep close to the support site to encourage other quitters and to get support...so much of this journey is finding healthy items in place of smoking...it takes time...make this quit your priority, you are worth it...now get working...~ Colleen 274 DOF 

0 Kudos
maryfreecig

Welcome to Ex. Stick with Ex--because the support here is 365. While still smoking it seems so easy to quit--that might be because we don't really understand how much of an addiction it is. Here you will learn all about the addiction--and all about recovery. 

Keep telling your story, keep reading.

0 Kudos