cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Sberry25

Blood sugar

Has anyone noticed a difference in their blood sugar levels since quitting smoking? If so were they higher or lower?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Gwenivere

I haven’t had mine tested but did read quilting can affect it.  Diabetics often have to have their doses altered as well as people with hypothyroidism.  It makes sense to me that could be affected too.  Good question for you doc or at least a nurse you can call on those help lines or thru your insurance.  Maybe someone here has had experience with it.  I’m fighting the thyroid thing.

0 Kudos
PrimeNumberJD

Effect of cigarette smoking on the blood glucose level in normals and diabetics. - PubMed - NCBI 

Seems that nicotine raises blood sugar, more markedly in diabetics. 

For me, in all my quit attempts, my blood sugar drastically dropped on day 3 (2.5 days into the quit). 

If you are quitting and you are a diabetic, the nicotine affects artificial increases; the assumption would be that without nicotine, your sugar would be lower (perhaps markedly so if you are a diabetic) .

I'm neither a doctor or a scientist; if the effects are drastic, consult with a physician as Gwenivere‌ suggests. I'm not a diabetic either, but I know failing to manage it appropriately can have devastating effects. 

Please keep us updated! 

Beck37

I suffered from low blood sugar and would feel like I was going to pass out. I am one of those that only eats at night. I discovered that one of the chemicals my body had gotten used to controlled my blood sugar levels.  For the first month of my quit I ate something light in the morning and again around noon. Soon enough my body started creating its own and I’m back to just eating once a day which has always worked best for me....

Hope that helps!

Beck