cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

AllieAllerson

Day 1 of quitting Juul cold turkey

I have been smoking at least a pod a day since a year ago. I lost a good friend to suicide and as silly as it sounds, vaping at work and at home where no one would know, was really helpful. That little rush of nicotine gave me comfort nothing else did. Now that it has been almost one year and after reading several horror stories I see about the Juul I decided to stop. I wanted to ask if anyone else who has attempted to quit this thing cold turkey has experienced chest pain or pain around the lungs? At first I felt a tightness in my throat but now that it has been about 19 hours since I took my last puff I feel I can't get a deep breath in due to tightness and pain. I am hoping this is all in my head and it's some form of my anxiety but I am also worried I have done serious damage to my lungs and need to go to the ER. Any advice would be appreciated. 

34 Replies
sweetplt

HI AllieAllerson ... I am so proud of you...and sorry for your loss of your friend...it is so hard to understand the reasons of suicide by another...it doesn’t sound odd that you did Juul through it...many of us smoked through our problems, sadness, celebrations, etc., in our life...quitting is often learning to accepting Life on her terms...that will come...right now important to focus on taking care of you and your quit...we are not medical here at the site...if something doesn’t feel right, seek medical attention...that being said...when I quit smoking...some of my physical symptoms were soreness in my lungs, cough, spitting up, fogginess in my head, sorta hurt all over, etc.,  for me I think it was the withdrawal of all the nicotine and chemicals...

I am sorry more are not answering the posts, but it is a Holiday weekend....hopefully more input will be offered after Labor Day....Have a good day....keep busy...Colleen 273 DOF 

AllieAllerson

Thank you so much Colleen!! I am trying to stay busy. I have had issues with my ears, stomach, pretty much my whole body hurts today. I am thankful for the long holiday weekend because I cannot imagine going through this at work. I really appreciate your kind words. It means a lot to me to have so much support. I have been nicotine free for 38 hours now! 

JACKIE1-25-15

Good morning and Welcome to EX.  Congratulations on making the decision to quit smoking.  You have chosen to go cold turkey. Around here we call it smart turkey. I believe that you still need to educate (read, read, read) yourself on the addiction of nicotine. There are many blogs on here about the subject and references to read.  Here is a blog to help you get started. Replace the word cigarette with vaping. /blogs/SkyGirl-blog/2013/07/20/a-smart-turkeyTurkey.  Stay close and learn all that you can.  We are here to support you.  Here also is a small article on the topic. Quitting E-cigarettes | Guides & Tools | BecomeAnEX  and here is some feedback on https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/community/expert-advice/blog/2017/08/16/chest-pain?sr=search&sear... 

Just like the lack of research surrounding the dangers of vaping in general, there are very few resources available specifically for those who are looking to quit vaping. On the bright side, however, the process for quitting smoking is almost identical to the one for quitting vaping, with the added benefit of being able to fully control the amount of nicotine you use, depending on the e-cig you are using. Welcome to EX

Barbscloud

Welcome to the Ex and congrats on you first day nicotine free.   So sorry about your friend.  Had a suicide in my family and it's such a hard thing to understand.   Many of us used smoking to cope with many emotions.   It's important to have plan on how you'll cope with those feelings without.  There are many suggestions on this site.  Exercise is a great way to replace the lost dopamine.    There are many physical, emotional, and psychological symptoms that are common to many when quitting.  But as already stated, if something concerns you, please check with your doctor.   Glad you found us.  If you need help, just reach out.  We're here to support you.

Barb

AllieAllerson

Thank you for your kind words Barb! Today has been awfully hard but I am determined not to look back. It is unbelievable how many physical symptoms I am having from stopping something that became such a daily and constant routine. I am hoping tomorrow will get a little easier and so will each day that passes. Thanks again for your encouragement. 

AllieAllerson

Thank you for the links. I am going to do some reading now..

0 Kudos
indingrl

Welcome sorry about YOUR friend and CONGRATS on NICOTINE FREEDOM- Yahoooooooooo WAY TO GO

Barbscloud

Good morning.  How are you doing? Hope you're feeling better and having the day off helped.

Barb

0 Kudos
AllieAllerson

Hi Barb I am doing okay! I am back at work today and this was a big place to use the juul for me because I do crisis work so not having it here is strange.That was my "go to" when I was stressed. I always knew i could walk away from whatever was going on at work and get a hit of nicotine. I feel like a big part of this was mental we well as a physical addiction for me. Thank you for checking in!! I plan to make it through day 3 into day 4 and am hoping for the road to get a little easier as each day passes.