cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

RevTerrie

Just to elaborate

I'm so glad for the support that I've found here, and it helps more than I ever expected. Your suggestions and advice are appreciated. To those who suggested Al-Anon, I have been involved with the program for years of my life off and on. I come from a family full of alcoholics, many are abusive. It's one of the reasons that I was raised by my grandparents, for the most part. They're gone now, but I was a caregiver to both before they passed away, Pap from cancer and Gram from Alzheimer's disease. Did I mention that I was born 30 years old? I've always been an adult. At 18 months old I developed a seizure disorder from a high fever, juvenile onset osteo arthritis at 14, and during my teens I had such bad grand mal seizures that I've died and was brought back more times than I can tell you. One seizure lasted 24 hours straight and I'm still here. They've always told me they have no idea how I'm alive with no brain damage that would make me like a small child.... but I'm here with a pretty high IQ. I put myself through college when I was 28, got my driver's license at 29 and have a master's level education. All of this with health issues and alcoholics telling me I'd never make it. I've been on and off of disability at different times, but the past two years with this digestive disease and I'm not getting any younger so things don't heal as easily, so I've been really sick, weak, malnourished, and lost over 160 pounds. No matter what I went through I was always independent and lived on my own. I needed help sometimes, but I made it. Now, I had to move into my parent's house, my car died, social security decided in January, within a matter of days, that I was no longer eligible for disability..... while in the middle of this digestive disease and they were given plenty of proof from my doctors. I appealed their decision and have been fighting them without income ever since. After getting sicker from not being able to take my medications, I was finally approved for medical assistance, but they don't pay for all the medicine so I'm still going without some important ones. I am, however, not waiting on them forever. I've been sending out resumes and trying to get a job that pays well enough with good benefits so I can just go back to work and get out of here, get another car and get my life back. All of that will help my health. I'm doing everything I can to make my health better so I can have a better life. I'm determined to get there! I've always been one of the strongest people I know, but even strong people can only take so much. They live back a dirt lane surrounded by woods. This would be the type of place to escape for a few days, but I'm used to being around people and the city. I appreciate everything they've done, but it's long past time to be 'home' again. Stress isn't good for anything, especially if you want a cigarette. So far, I've been able to find things to keep me from picking up a cigarette. My parents and I think so differently. They don't think it's that bad to smoke a little here and there until it builds up to more, or staying on disability instead of working to make other people's lives better while making yourself happy at the same time. It can work in my favor by the positivity improving my own health. So now you have the book.

10 Replies
YoungAtHeart

I welcome you to the Strong Woman Club!  You have certainly earned your membership!   There are other ladies here on the site - you can find them by doing a little reading.  You will learn that quite a few have dealt with a LOT of life's downs when quitting, and lived smoke free to tell the tale.  You can, too!!

I am hoping that your journey will get a bit easier.  I would think your digestive issues would be greatly helped by quitting smoking, as will the jingle in your pocket to help with your independence plans.

Remember there is NEVER a good reason to smoke; there are but excuses.

Hang in there!  Don't allow anybody or anything to cause you to smoke again.  It is the ONE thing right now over which you have total control.  Exert it!

Nancy

sweetplt

So sad for you ... no other words...

pastedImage_1.gif ~ Colleen 268 DOF 

RevTerrie

Reading that I sound awful.....yes, I've been through a lot, but I'm a kind, caring, compassionate person with a huge heart. I'm the best parts of who my grandparents were. They taught me respect and love and to always treat people the way you would like to be treated. I was so blessed to have them. I appreciate the smallest of everything and have always given more than I've taken. I'm proud of my accomplishments, but I'm more proud of who I am because of them and because of God. My faith is what gets me through everything. I was ordained in 2003 and I've been a therapist for kids and adults. It's always been important to me to help other people improve their lives because God always put people in my life just when I needed them. I will keep trying as hard as I can to fight every craving to smoke because I do see the good it's doing for my health already, especially my digestive system. So I'm staying here with all of you because you have something special that stops me from picking up a cigarette. I believe that all of you are strong or you wouldn't be here. I just thank you for taking me into your group and being so understanding and supportive. It's helping me so much. My dog is amazing and I can't believe how smart she is..... she is helping me through it, too. It'll be 3 weeks before I know it that I've been smoke free. I couldn't have done it without you and this group.

indingrl

Thank you for sharing and CONGRATS STAYING NICOTINE FREE TODAY and that's a wonderful story of from survival to RECOVERY LIFE - what it was like and  what happened and what its like NOW  - your NOT alone - I told grew up with ALCOHOLISM and childhood rape and NICOTINE ADDICTION - FIRST death stick at FOUR YEARS OLD - pick it up AGAIN everyday DRUG NICOTINE use at 15y old - I am so glad I am NOT ALONE - thank YOU again for being truth to YOUR SELF - gentle hug

RevTerrie

You are definitely a survivor as well. When we pick ourselves up and keep going after each loss and horrible experience and overcome those obstacles, our possibilities are endless. I have wonderful friends who have been in my life for many years as you probably do, too. My best friend has been my best friend for 42 years. We've lived practically carbon copy lives. By reading here everyday, I can see how much we all have in common and reasons why we probably started smoking to begin with because we thought it would somehow help us to feel better.  That's why groups like this are so important for us all. It gives so much support to those who need it.

Barbscloud

Thanks for sharing all of that.  You sound like a very special person.  I hope we can help you in some small way to keep your quit.    Always remember it is your quit, no one else's.  

Barb

JACKIE1-25-15

Giulia

Thanks for sharing you with us.  You're pretty amazing, you know?!

This site is full of amazing women of strength just like yourself. You'll never be alone here.

Mn@ 001.jpg