cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Justjosh

Smoking Sucks

I've tried to quit smoking several times and have smoked for about 43 years, I Don't understand how talking to others is going to Help me....

I would like to try "The Patch" if possible

10 Replies
marciem

Hi there and WELCOME, Justjosh‌ .  I've never been much of a joiner myself, but I can say unequivocally that belonging to a group who have all been through the same experience (quitting smoking) and can encourage and advise when things get rough (as they WILL), is the reason I am smoke free almost 7 years now.  I smoked as long as you, and quit numerous times... sometimes with joining a support group and then getting over-confident and leaving the group and eventually picking up that "just one" that lead to more years of smoking.

Talking to others, just the act of typing, can get you through a lot of craves.  Learning about this addiction and what to expect and how to deal with what happens, these are key to maintaining a quit and keeping it forever.  The information is here, and others and myself will happily share our experiences and what helped us.

There is nothing wrong with trying to patch or other NRT's.  They can smooth the way a bit, but you still have to put in the work.  If you're asking about free patches here, someone else will have to talk to you about that, I don't know the criteria.  You might Private message @Mark  , the site director, about that.

You have nothing to lose (except an addiction to nicotine), so give us a try!    I'm glad you're here!

CommunityAdmin
Community Manager
Community Manager

Based on your account Justjosh it doesn't appear you qualify to receive any quit aides to us but I can double check that if I get information about your employer/health plan provider to see if they participate in The EX Program.

Mark
EX Community Manager

EX Community Admin Team
0 Kudos
Barbscloud

Trust me, it will.  I  never did anything like this before.  I'm almost at a 1 1/2 years after 50 years of smoking.  Get your patch and stay close to the Ex for education and preparation for your forever quit.  We're here for you to support you on every step of your journey.  It is a lifelong journey that you can be a apart of.  Just reach out if you need help.  You can do this!

Barb

0 Kudos
YoungAtHeart

Welcome to our community!

If your employer has not signed on to The Truth Initiative, this site will not provide free patches.  You can call 1-800-Quit-Now for options; your county or state health department or a local hospital or clinic might provide them, too.  Folks here who used them recommend the store brand above the name brand ones - they seem to adhere better and are cheaper.

The important thing you can do right now is to educate yourself on what nicotine does to your body and mind. To that end, I highly recommend Allen Carr's “The Easy Way to Stop Smoking.” This is an easy and entertaining read. You can search for it online or at your local library. If you do nothing else to get ready for your quit, please do give this a read.

You should also read the posts here and perhaps go to the pages of folks who you think might be helpful. You might visit whyquit.com, quitsmoking.com and livewell.com for the good information contained there. @https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/groups/best-of-ex has lots of blogs written by members of this site with their experiences and guidance. Here is a video to inform you further about nicotine addiction: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IpWMgPHn0Lo&feature=youtu.be.

It will be informative if you do the tracking and separation exercises recommended here on the site. As you track each cigarette smoked, note its importance, and what you might do instead. Put each one off just a little to prove that you don't NEED a cigarette just because you think you do.

The idea is to change up your routines so the smoking associations are reduced.  Drink your coffee with your OTHER hand in a place different from when you smoked. Maybe switch to tea for a bit.  If you always had that first smoke with your coffee, try putting your tennies on right out of bed, going for a quick walk, then taking your shower and THEN your coffee! Rearrange the furniture in the areas you used to smoke so the view is different. Buy your gas at a different station. Take a different route to work. Take a quick walk at break time where the smokers AREN'T.

You need to distract yourself through any craves.  You can take a bite out of a lemon (yup - rind and all), put your head in the freezer and take a deep breath of cold air, do a few jumping jacks, go for a brisk walk or march in place, play a computer game.  Keep a cold bottle of water with you from which to sip. Don't let that smoking thought rattle around in your brain unchallenged. Sometimes you need to quit a minute or an hour at a time.  You will need to be disciplined in the early days to distract yourself when a crave hits.    Get busy!  Here is a link to a list of things to do instead of smoke if you need some fresh ideas:
 https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/blogs/Youngatheart.7.4.12-blog/2013/02/25/100-things-to-do-instea...
The conversation in your head in response to the "I want a cigarette" thought needs to be, "Well, since I have decided not to do that anymore, what shall I do instead for the three minutes this crave will last?"  Then DO it.  You will need to put some effort into this in the early days, but it gets easier and easier to do.

Stay close to us here and ask questions when you have them and for support when you need it. We will be with you every step of the way!

Nancy

0 Kudos
constanceclum

I use the patch and am in my 4th week. The first week I also used nicotine lozenges-5-6/day. It is recommended for heavier smokers. I smoked 1&1/2 packs per day.

Connie

0 Kudos
maryfreecig

You are free to use the patch and info on patches is available on this sight and is also readily available on the internet. I quit cold turkey and with out a community like Ex in 2013. So I know that quitting is doable without talking anyone. If that is the way you want to quit, go for it.

If you find that going it alone isn't working, then remember Ex is still here for you 365. Lots of quitters here who get the ups and downs of quitting and who are here to standby you and cheer you on, offer experience. 

0 Kudos
Sootie

The support here helps....trust me. I also am not a "support group" type of person.......but I have found this community to be the key to my success in this quit. I will be quit 10 years this coming November. I know I would not have made it without the people here.

Welcome to EX. We are all here for each other.

0 Kudos
indingrl

Welcome and talking with others who have empathy in knowing the REAL TRUTH about NICOTINE addiction with the willingness to read YOUR blog and offer HOPE and experience at living as a non smoker life style and the many afflictions that come with the consequences of using YOUR DRUG NICOTINE for years - someone here has been where YOU are at NOW  - SOME of the people here may have a NEW solution for YOU to HELP strengthen YOUR belief and give YOU hope with a NEW idea or just support YOU THROUGH a pain instead of YOU using YOUR DRUG NICOTINE to cope with YOUR personal issues inside - when YOU choose to blog -  BEFORE YOU take that first puff over YOU - YOUR  BLOG HELPS ME to remember but for the grace of God go I - I am only one puff away - just like YOU and when YOU blog -  please give us TIME to answer - YOUR blog helps YOU and ME to HELP one another STAY NICOTINE FREE just for TODAY-  blog helps YOU to be willing to accept the unconditional love of God and all the people here to offer YOU a varity of CHOICES-  to keep learning and growing and healing as YOU choose to remain -  a NON SMOKER just for NOW - TODAY is precious YOU will never get it back - GOOD JOB choosing to stay alive one day at a time- together - it is all we have this present moment- gentle hug

0 Kudos
Giulia

Welcome.  It is because of support that I have a 13 year quit.  'Talking' to people is about exchanging ideas and feelings.  I found that support is a two-way street.  When I cheer someone else on, when I encourage them, my own words echo back and zing around my brain.  Writing a blog is also a great way to get the craving nasties out of yourself.  It's a way to work through them.  It also helps to focus our thoughts.  Most of us on here, I'd venture to say, have done a lot of self examination.  You need to, to conquer addictions, I think.  It takes work, self discipline.  And having a bunch of others going along the journey with you, can be nice.  You don't have to talk if you don't want to.  But reading is a must.  It is through education that most of us succeed.  So hope you do!  Cheers.

0 Kudos