cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

RevTerrie

A craving now?

Last night and this morning I'm really wanting a cigarette and I don't know why. I mean, I know why, but throughout two weeks of time I've had very few strong cravings because I would immediately focus on something else and that would take care of it. Right now, taking Zonie for a walk outside or trying to do other things hasn't stopped me from wanting a cigarette. I'll find a way to get past it because it's too important to me to give in. Zonie loves playing outside and going to see the neighbors across the road. So, she always helps me stay on track. Whenever I go to the kitchen, she still thinks I'm going out there to smoke so she follows behind me slowly like she's watching what I'm doing and I see these eyes peeping around the corner like she's ready to catch me....lol. She still goes to the door and gets my attention.... like mommy walk away from the smoking area and let's go outside. She knows what's going on and tries to keep me from it. I'm convinced of that. I suppose we're going outside to play and get me past this stupid craving. The person smoking a cigarette five feet away from me probably isn't helping either. Outside we go.....

7 Replies
TW517

Doesn't seem fair does it?  I had a rough 1st week, but skated thru weeks 2 and 3.  Then had major craves come out of nowhere.  Grrr!  

You are doing great though!  And your Zonie sounds like a great motivator for you.  Congrats on your 2 weeks!

Barbscloud

Stay strong and use your tools to get through the craves.  Zonie sounds like an excellent distractor and motivator.   When my cravings were bad I would come to the Ex for help and read for a while.  The craving would pass during the time I spent here.  I kept busy just doing anything around the house and would just walk out the door and go for a walk, even if just for a few blocks.  You did the right thing coming here.  Especially in these early day, having support really makes a difference.  You're doing great!

Barb

indingrl

Jog in place for 2 minutes - craving GONE- so glad YOU chose life and NOT death for YOUR self - GOOD JOB !

JACKIE1-25-15

It is great that you have come here to share what you are going through.   That in itself is a major tool. Keep using it. 

I kept cold water with me.  Sipped lemon water through a straw.  Chewed on licorice roots.  Drank tea. A cough drop was satisfying since I smoked menthol, they helped a lot.  Sang, Prayed, Danced, Laughed, Screamed. Do whatever is necessary to not smoke. You can do this. Congratulations on your insight to be able to get through the tough times to enjoy the good times.  It will level out in a month or two. Never give up. The urge will not last forever.  Breathe your way through it. Relax and let it go. It is not a fight.  Breathe, Relax.

YoungAtHeart

Get busy - if Zonie is tired of playing (yeah, right!), you might review this list of things to do instead: 

https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/blogs/Youngatheart.7.4.12-blog/2013/02/25/100-things-to-do-instea...

Slow/deep breaths, going slower and deeper with each, are always available and will get you through a crave.

And keep in mind:  a crave never killed anybody; the same cannot be said about smoking!

Hang in there!

Nancy

maryfreecig

You've got big reasons for quitting--keep plugging into that goal you set before you quit because you had it right then and it's still the right decision today. One day at a time, one hour, one crave, keep moving forward. Congratulations on all the days won. Keep em coming.

Sootie

You never know when a craving will hit.....they are strange, capricious creatures who have their own time table. Even after a few months of smooth sailing, you may be hit by one...change of season, memory....lots of things can bring one on. Doesn't matter why they happen or when---what matters is that you not give in.