cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Benedina

Quitting effect on blood sugar question

Dear Everyone,  i am reaching out to those who have quit all nicotine who may be prediabetic or diabetic with a weird question. 

I’m currently on the walk of shame as my quit date for CONSTANT vaping has past and I used excuses to extend that date. Yes, I feel ashamed of myself and was even afraid to log back on, but I am NOT giving up.  I will pick a new quit date, and want to thank everyone here for your wonderful support, insight and contributions. I am going to start listening to all the great suggestions and have bookmarked all the suggested web links. I have also ordered Allen Carr’s book; it arrives tomorrow.

Here is my question.  As a prediabetic (and I believe that the increased nicotine delivery of vaping all the time contributed to this as I never had blood sugar issues before vaping) I am always reading about ways to lower blood sugar. 

I’ve recently been reading valid sites that say doctors tell prediabetic and diabetics to closely monitor their blood sugar after quitting any form of nicotine (including gum, patches, and lozenges) because quitting nicotine actually increases blood sugar for up to three years. Then it returns to normal. I am NOT using this as an excuse not to quit vaping. Because of you fine people, I am going to pick a new quit date.  I just want to know if anyone has information on the increase of blood sugar after quitting nicotine. Is this true ? And if true, what kind of increase should I expect so that I can alter eating and excercise to compensate for a possible increase in blood sugar and A1c after I quit this horrible vaping? 

Has anyone experienced a rise in blood sugar and A1c levels after quitting all nicotine ? If so, did it increase a little or a lot? Again, it’s not going to keep me from quitting. I just want to know what to expect so I can be prepared. 

Thank you and have a great day today.

11 Replies
JACKIE1-25-15

Unfortunately, I do not have an answer. Your doctor should be able to address these medical issues.  Hopefully, someone who has experienced what you are referring to will respond.  I am posting so that your question will remain on the board. Out of my realm.

YoungAtHeart

Ditto what Jackie said.  Vaping is being proven as unhealthy as smoking as it is being studied more extensively....so I am glad to hear any blood sugar side effects of quitting won't deter you.  It's smart of you to prepare for it!

If your doctor doesn't have an answer (and I have found doctors are not as up-to-date as they need to be on the subject of nicotine withdrawal's effect on the body), you might prepare to change up your diet and exercise as you have mentioned.  Can't hurt!  You might also now start to reduce the amount of nicotine in the pods and gradually reduce it over the time until your quit date.

Let us know when you pick a new date.

Nancy

AnnetteMM

I know your question is about A1C, and quite frankly a lot of us have that issue, but my answer is going to be about something else.  If you're feeling ashamed and increasingly afraid, stop giving yourself deadlines. You don't NEED to announce a quit date in advance. It's perfectly okay to do so AFTER the fact. In other words, vape until you run out of juice, then throw out all the equipment. There. That's your quit date. Don't make it harder for yourself.

Benedina

Oh my goodness Annette! THANK YOU. Fear, shame, and guilt have stayed with me because I am having trouble picking an exact date and God forbid, I blow it AGAIN, and don’t quit on that date.   I’m going to do exactly what you said. My quit date is going to be the day I quit, the day I get sick of this, frustrated to no end, and throw everything out. I already have a deal with my husband, that the moment I say I’m quitting, he’s going to take every single piece of vaping equipment, (disposables for “emergencies”, cartridges, tanks, batteries, charging lack, even the wall chargers, the whole package) drive to an undisclosed location, and dump them into a waste can at a store.  Thank you for letting me ease up on myself a bit. This was great advice. 

AnnetteMM

OMG thank YOU for taking it! I'm gonna mark this day on my calendar and celebrate! Just kidding. You be you, and keep coming here to let us know what's what.

0 Kudos
Benedina

You SHOULD celebrate ! You should celebrate the unique and gracious gift you are to people here, and selfishly, to me.

Picking that exact quit date had me stressed to the gills, more stressed than ever, for fear I’d blow it and feel more ashamed.  I know it’s soon, I can feel it, I can sense the day to quit is coming soon.....the disgust and distain is starting to overpower the blantant lies I tell myself (“this is a bad day to quit, too stressed”, I’m having company in a week...wrong time to quit”, “my cats is sick, I shouldn’t quit right now”, etc).  Lies, all lies this monster has been telling me for the past months.  I started putting the vapes in my basement this afternoon. I have to walk down to get them now, so they are not within arms reach anymore, which also helps me with Youngathearts suggestion of putting off a puff just a little longer. 

Looking out the window just now, no vape in site, I see the trees dancing with joy in the wind. Funny how many exquisite little things are missed by having that vape by my side as a constant distraction, begging for attention. Oops, not so funny.

indingrl

Welcome and Please contact YOUR PERSONAL  professional doctor - we are RECOVERING NICOTINE ADDICTS - gentle hug

elvan

Welcome to EX, you have gotten great advice so far. The best thing you can do for yourself is to set a new date and not beat yourself up for failing this time.  I did not have a long term successful quit until THIS one and I credit EX for my success.  The support I have gotten from the people on this site, I learned a lot about HOW to quit and I also learned a lot about myself.  I am more self confident and I no longer push all of my emotions down with nicotine.  The freedom from not smoking is an amazing gift that only you can give to yourself.

Ellen