cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Cjandkayla1

I'm scared I'll never see my kids grow up

I smoke like crazy and I need help so I don't end up on a breathing machine.. I don't want to smoke but my body starts feeling very weird when I don't have one... So plz help me cause my future wife and two daughters need me... I'm only 34 and I smoke like two packs if u let me a day PL help

11 Replies
marciem

WELCOME, Cjandkayla1‌ ... You've come to the right place for help and support in your quest to quit smoking!  What an excellent decision to make at 34...  you're still young and hopefully have avoided some of the insidious long-term affects of smoking.

It isn't the easiest thing you'll ever do, but you CAN do it and I promise it will be one of the best, if not THE best, thing you will ever do for yourself.  You will never regret becoming a nonsmoker... guaranteed!

Others will be along with some homework and advice for you to get you started.  I just wanted to welcome you, and if needed I'll be watching for you and popping in with my experiences, as you go along your journey.

and YES, it is not unusual to feel odd, uncomfortable, antsy, angry, sad, weird, different, up-and-down, when you are withdrawing from nicotine.  It is normal.  This is an addiction, and those feelings are about the worst that it gets... not like you've seen heroin withdrawal or alcohol withdrawal portrayed, but not much fun and difficult to get through sometimes.  The feelings and cravings you will have, as described above, are all temporary.  Your benefits will be permanent.  So how great is that?

Again, Welcome

Barbscloud

Welcome to the Ex.  I'm so excited that there are so many new quitters recently.  Pick a quit date, educate yourself about this addiction and prepare for your quit My EX Plan | BecomeAnEX.    It's not easy, but you can do this if you want it.  We're here to help you every step of the way.  All you have to do is make the commitment and reach out if and when you need support.  

Barb

0 Kudos
JACKIE1-25-15

Welcome.  First, know that you can do this because quitting is doable. It does take the commitment to never smoke again no matter what is happening in your life.  Our minds can fool of to believe that cigarettes help us.  That is so far from the truth. We have to learn about addiction and be willing to do whatever is necessary not to smoke.  The idea is to have a plan.  You can start here. My EX Plan | BecomeAnEX.  It is important to watch the videos and do the exercises to track your smoking.  Follow the guidelines.  If you have questions or need help just ask.  The search engine is the magnifying glass, top right corner. Keep us updated on your progress. 

maryfreecig

I smoked about 38 cigarettes a day at my highest level of smoking. Often I controlled how much I smoked. I thought I loved them. I thought I couldn't live without them. I quit in October 2013 and I found out that I didn't love smoking that I was dependent on them. I found out I could live without tobacco, nicotine the whole thing. 

Quitting takes you being willing to find your way through the unpleasant feelings of no nicotine. But all those crappy feelings come to pass. To get to that point, you have to stay smober one day at a time. Ex is here for you 365, in turn you can be there for someone else if you choose to be.

In addition to Ex, your hospital may offer nicotine addiction programs, there may be meetings in your area and you might want to look up your state's (if you are in the US) quit site. All states have quit tobacco sites. 

Here's my story:Quitting Cigarettes Journal 

Here's Doc Evan's classic advice on quitting Quitting Smoking is a Journey - YouTube 

Here are some great reads by Exers: /blogs/Youngatheart.7.4.12-blog/2019/08/05/give-this-the-time-it-takes   https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/groups/newbie-quitters/blog/2019/01/27/one-of-the-greatest-tools-... 

/blogs/oldbones-larry/2019/07/01/the-smithy (this blog talks about no mans land but is just as good for the first steps of quitting)

indingrl

Welcome and here are the SUGGESTIONS made to ME when I first came here -  please educate YOUR self by reading ALL EXteam offers here and at whyquit.com there are videos to watch that families who lost their loved ones to NICOTINE at an early age - Byron's video brought ME out of MY denial about MY NICOTINE addiction - please blog BEFORE you take that first puff - gentle hug 

DonnaMarie

Hi there - glad you came here to reach out. We've all either been through what you're going through or are going through it right now. The weird feeling when you're not smoking will ease up after you quit. My withdrawal was a pain in the keester, but it had to be done in order to reach where I am now. 

I've quit so often and didn't do it right until this time. I don't say I failed any longer; I learned here at EX that if I'm still smoking, I'm not doing quitting right

Anyway, you're among people who get it. Scream and holler here and get feedback. Read Allen Carr's Easy Way book (free from the library, inexpensive for your e-reader or for paperback. 

Donna

Day 251

green1611

Welcome to Ex.

You are 34, and I am sure many of Ex Smokers having past life of mere  34 years of full of smoke filled lungs.

Not clear what you are afraid of, as you are 34, and if some life threatening illness is bothering you, or you are afraid of how you will be able to quit......

What ever, there is no age bar, time bar to quit smoking. And we all here to support/help you quit.

All the best !

0 Kudos
PrimeNumberJD

YoungAtHeart‌ hadn't welcomed you yet; the us a lot of good advice to get started here! Learn about your addiction, learn what works for you, and break your addiction! 

Keep the Sexy Exers close, write about your journey, and come to the community for help BEFORE smoking.

0 Kudos
YoungAtHeart

Thanks for the heads up!  I often miss newbies in "Conversations" and "Status Updates" for some reason!