cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discuss different approaches to quitting, including medication

bridget4

Stopping Chantix

HI All - This may have already been discussed, but I couldn't find anything directly related so I'm asking the question again. I'm just beginning my third month of Chantix. I so far have had a successful quit of 59 days. My Rx is for 12 weeks so I have 4 weeks left. I'm wondering if there should be a tapering off period for the Chantix similar to the tapering on period when first starting the drug. I am concerned about just stopping it abruptly given the potential side effects. I also have clinical depression and I don't want to jeopardize my current stability in that area. I won't be able to see my doctor until December and by that time, it will be too late so any experience you guys may have would be welcome.
Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
barbara42

i took chantix for about 32 day,s. i would advise you to taper off, since you have clinical depression you might want to check with your doctor.
0 Kudos
kerri311

You could always call your doctor's office and speak to one of the nurses about your concern. I'm sure they would be more than happy to send the message to your doctor and call you back with an answer (avoiding having to make a special trip in to see them). GOOD LUCK!!! 🙂
0 Kudos
susan39

I am glad you started this discussion. I am looking for the same anwer except did anyone stop taking Chantix before the 12 weeks? When I got my first prescription my doctor said most people find 4 weeks enough but they had more if I needed it. I am on week 3 and not sure if I can afford to buy more. I will totally have to stretch to ba able to. Any thoughts? How did anyone feel after they stopped?
0 Kudos
michael45

After I read a long article on WhyQuit.com about how nothing but "Cold Turkey" is the best way to quit smoking I realized that I better get off "crutches" and just bite the bullet and give up chantix.... Its only been 12 days of being smoke free and I owe it all to Chantix... But I have started only taking one pill a day until I run out and that will be it.... It will all be mental strength after that!
0 Kudos
cindy16

Hi, I plan on taking the entire 12 weeks. I figure why chance it. But if you want to stop taking and wonder about the tapering off go to clsoest pharmacist. That is their job knowing about drugs. They actually know more about the drugs than the doctor does. I can't see any harm from tapering off. I think I will stay on the 12 weeks then maybe get another script to taper off. I have only had 2 three second cravings in 11 days. But I smoked for a long time and do not want to take any chances. I spent more on cigarettes in all the years I smoked.
Cindy
0 Kudos
59sweetpea

Hi Bridget, no there is no tappering off needed, but I do recommend finishing the RX to is fullest. I made the mistake of quiting to soon and I started back up. I am having to start all over again. If after qiting however, you start to feel urges again, recheck you triggers and ask for more Chantix. Hope this helps.
0 Kudos