cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

lqsi12

Deadly

How many lives will suffer before our country’s leaders stop these products ?

Labels (1)
7 Replies
PrimeNumberJD

Unfortunately, all of them. Even though the tax dollars brought in is exceeded by the cost of health care to cover smoking related diseases, big tobacco is in the pockets of the government with special interest groups and lobbying. Even though 2/3rds of smokers don't want to smoke anymore, the other 1/3rd probably don't know they are hooked, the government won't go "prohibition" and lose the tax dollars to the black market. 

In a lot of ways we are moving in the wrong direction with the recreational usage of marijuana. It is only a matter of time before big tobacco begins to genetically alter marijuana to increase its addictive properties.

The tactic is no different them coca cola originally adding cocaine to their product to hook people. In our contemporary environment, the same is done with the addition of a metric shit ton of sugar. Part of it is advertisement, the other part is getting people hooked to the sugar. 

It is no coincidence that the 2 leading causes of death amongst Americans are completely preventable, and both have deep roots in blind addiction (people don't know they are hooked). 1. Smoking 2. Obesity (Obesity: Facts, Figures, Guidelines). 1. Nicotine 2. Sugar (strong correlation Obesity, Sugar and Heart Health | Johns Hopkins Medicine). 

Both of these burden our healthcare system unnecessarily and cost more than they produce in income. Full prohibition is not possible in a society that is in tune and concerned with their civil liberties. When the government seeks to restrict anything, no matter how good for the populous, we point to our  congressional right of self destruction. The government does get slick to prohibit these items though, a sugar tac was introduced in cook county 2 years ago (failed miserably). The legal purchase age is systematically being raised to 21 for nicotine products (though most smokers were underage smokers). Taxes are systematically raised and it usually results in driving quitting (marginal effect by some research) and was the reason I personally quit. 

I'm with you, outlaw it and we won't have to worry about it; I'll simply point to the war on drugs. Rock and a hard place in this instance. Fixing these 2 problems could result in the saving of almost 1 million lives per year! 

JACKIE1-25-15

It is only a matter of time before big tobacco begins to genetically alter marijuana to increase its addictive properties.

I think this is already being done probably not by big tobacco.  I believe it is going to take time for people to realize they are being bamboozled once again.  Soon there will be products to the sale for those trying to quit the e-cig if there aren't already.  Unfortunately the war on drugs was designed to be against a certain population.  Not the whole.  It will always be the $bill first and foremost.  Thank you for your enlightenment. 

PrimeNumberJD

It probably already is happening, and if tobacco isn't on it due to a decline of smokers, big pharma is on it no different than opioids.

I'm not sure I'm enlightened, though I appreciate the sentiment, I feel I'm more jaded and have looked at why this billion dollar industry isn't done away with. 

0 Kudos
JACKIE1-25-15

Don't underestimate yourself.  You bring a lot to the table for us to digest.  Keep on Keepin on. 

PrimeNumberJD

Thanks Jackie! I'm in it for my quit; if I'm able to help others along the way, that is icing on the cake! 

0 Kudos
indingrl

You never know - it took a while witb the cigarette deaths to be taken seriously by medical and tobacco businesses to PAY attention -

0 Kudos
jonimarie

You know RJRenolyds already has their machines ready to roll joints. But that aside and I am in agreement with all that has been said about big Tobacco and state taxes, I myself hold me responsible for my addiction and not the tobacco companies after all it was my choice and that is my opinion