cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Elise80

16 days nicotine free

Hello everyone,

I quit smoking on Aug 3. Was told I was smoking too much and just started to have panic attacks out of nowhere for the first time in my life 2 months ago so I quit thinking it would help! Ok I’m 16 days in now and my chest feels tight, back and body aches, headaches, dizzy and feel just awful! No cough yet either....I know everyone is different but are those symptoms all normal? Not using a smoking aid and quit cold turkey!

0 Kudos
8 Replies
maryfreecig

Those are not unusual symptoms, but talking to your doctor is a good idea when you have concerns. Welcome to Ex and congrats on your 16 days! This is a big win for you--keep working your quit.

constanceclum

Some of those symptoms sound like anxiety. Are you being treated for those panic attacks?

Connie

0 Kudos
YoungAtHeart

Welcome to our community!

Two weeks + is HUGE!  Good for you!  What you describe is perfectly normal when you quit smoking cold turkey.  Your body is adjusting to life without a very potent drug and breaking free from addiction to it is no small thing.  Here is a blog that describes what some folks experience:  https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/groups/best-of-ex/blog/2018/01/04/early-withdrawal-symptoms.  As your body gets used to life without the drug, it will adjust - but it takes a bit. I never developed a cough - everybody IS different.    You might want to talk with your doctor about something you might take to help with the anxiety. I regret you didn't join us sooner so you might prepare for your quit, but the reading I will recommend makes a great crave buster, and the tips might help you along as you get further into your quit.

The idea is to change up your routines so the smoking associations are reduced.  Drink your coffee with your OTHER hand in a place different from when you smoked. Maybe switch to tea for a bit.  If you always had that first smoke with your coffee, try putting your tennies on right out of bed, going for a quick walk, then taking your shower and THEN your coffee! Rearrange the furniture in the areas you used to smoke so the view is different. Buy your gas at a different station. Take a different route to work. Take a quick walk at break time where the smokers AREN'T.

You need to distract yourself through any craves.  You can take a bite out of a lemon (yup - rind and all), put your head in the freezer and take a deep breath of cold air, do a few jumping jacks, go for a brisk walk or march in place, play a computer game.  Keep a cold bottle of water with you from which to sip. Don't let that smoking thought rattle around in your brain unchallenged. Sometimes you need to quit a minute or an hour at a time.  You will need to be disciplined in the early days to distract yourself when a crave hits.    Get busy!  Here is a link to a list of things to do instead of smoke if you need some fresh ideas:
 https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/blogs/Youngatheart.7.4.12-blog/2013/02/25/100-things-to-do-instea...
The conversation in your head in response to the "I want a cigarette" thought needs to be, "Well, since I have decided not to do that anymore, what shall I do instead for the three minutes this crave will last?"  Then DO it.  You will need to put some effort into this in the early days, but it gets easier and easier to do.

An important bit of information  to educate yourself on what nicotine does to your body and mind is contained in  Allen Carr's “The Easy Way to Stop Smoking.” This is an easy and entertaining read. You can search for it online or at your local library.

I think you will be amazed at what you didn't know about this drug!

You should also read the posts here and perhaps go to the pages of folks who you think might be helpful. You might visit whyquit.com, quitsmoking.com and livewell.com for the good information contained there. @https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/groups/best-of-ex has lots of blogs written by members of this site with their experiences and guidance. Here is a video to inform you further about nicotine addiction: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IpWMgPHn0Lo&feature=youtu.be.

Stay close to us here and ask questions when you have them and for support when you need it. We will be with you every step of the way!

Nancy

TW517

As Mary said, it's always a good idea to check with your doctor, but those symptoms are not uncommon for early stage quitters.  Check this link: https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/groups/best-of-ex/blog/2018/01/04/early-withdrawal-symptoms 

You can also go to the top right of your screen and click on the magnifying glass icon.  There you can search words or phrases like "chest tightness", etc.

Welcome to EX!

I know it took a while before I started coughing out the effects of my addiction, but eventually as the lungs healed it started to happen. What used to take me an hour of coughing is now a simple little cough, and I'm clear. It'll come. Now panic attacks really are something that should be checked out if you ask me. We naturally feel more stress in the beginning. One thing to remember however is that smoking alone won't fix those, but perhaps your doctor can. 

ONWARD TO FREEDOM!!!

Chuck

sweetplt

Hi and Welcome to EX’s Elise80 I had many of those same symptoms...however, we are not Doctors and if you are concerned, please check with your Doctor.  Sometimes safe then sorry... The first couple weeks I felt like I had a virus...just felt awful...then I did actually get sick with sinus infection...I can tell you...it does get better, but takes time...please keep us posted on how you are doing hon...~ Colleen 260 DOF 

elvan

Welcome to EX and congratulations on 16 days of freedom without any nicotine aids, I am impressed.  I think your symptoms are probably part of the process of your body acclimating to being nicotine free but, that said, if you don't feel better or you feel worse, please contact your doctor and make sure that something is not going on.

You've gotten great advice already.

Ellen

Barbscloud

Welcome to the ex an congrats on you 17 days now.   As everyone has said, they sound like normal withdrawal symptoms, but always be cautious and if they continue or you're concerned, please contact you're doctor.  

0 Kudos