cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
exjuuldad

The talk

Getting ready to have the “talk” with my son. After finding all of his Juul. 

Labels (1)
9 Replies
CommunityAdmin
Community Manager
Community Manager

exjuuldad‌ Glad you're here.  Can you tell us more about your son. 

What do you have questions about?

What advice are you hoping to get here?

What have you found so far?

What is your planned approach for "the talk"?

Mark
EX Community Manager

EX Community Admin Team
exjuuldad

I have a few questions.

1. Is there any non-nicotine option out there? Or is that just as

counter-productive? (I guess the original reason for e-cigarettes in the

first place?)

2. The Talk went well i think? I used to be a smoker, and quit many years

ago and remember how hard that was... made sure he knew that and also just

how hard it is.

3. He says the Juul stuff is 'old' and that he doesnt use it any more, and

only joined in 'occassionally'... I want to believe him of course... but

as a former heavy smoker... i know there is no longer just 'casually'

having a vape here and there. Any advice on how to check in and stay

positive?

0 Kudos
YoungAtHeart

I would share with him that you know that nicotine is addictive and that you are wondering if it is really possible for him to do it occasionally.  The better YOU understand how this affects his body and mind, the better prepared you will be to talk with him.   I would educate yourself on what nicotine does to your body and mind. To that end, I highly recommend Allen Carr's “The Easy Way to Stop Smoking.” This is an easy and entertaining read. You can search for it online or at your local library.  It was an eye opener for me, and I hope it will help you better explain it to your son.

It's good that you are being proactive about this.  The more studies are being done on the vapor, the more dangerous it is beginning to sound!

Nancy

0 Kudos
sweetplt

HI exjuuldad I don’t know anything about JUUL and Electronic cigarettes...but I wanted to say, I admire you for having the “talk” with your son...and wishing you the best...~ Colleen 

0 Kudos
Giulia

I found this cartoon well done and illuminating.  Perhaps you will too.  And maybe even pass it on to him if need be.  Although it has to do with smoking, nicotine addiction is nicotine addiction.

If he needs help, there's a tremendous amount of support here to be had.  You're a good dad!

indingrl

Welcome and GOOD JOB!

0 Kudos
elvan

Welcome to EX, sounds to me like you are really doing everything you can at this point.  Education about this addiction is HUGE...vaping is not a safe alternative.  

Ellen

0 Kudos
exjuuldad

First I just wanted to thank everyone for the outreach and support, was not sure what to expect.

Second...it amazes me that the tobacco companies are getting away with this. The e-cigarette designed to help people quit is now being built specifically to attract teens with flavors, no smell to detect...and just as addicting with nicotine with much less info on how to quit. Unbelievable!!

Third...wish me luck, will keep you posted on how it goes.

0 Kudos
Barbscloud

Hope it goes well with your son. Please do let us know.

Barb

0 Kudos