cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

TW517

Stupid Lies You Told Yourself?

All these recent posts about our tricky minds reminded me of a dream I had last night.  I was in line at a convenience store behind a woman who asked the clerk for a pack of her cigarettes.  The clerk said it was cheaper per pack to buy a carton, and the woman said, “No thanks, I’m trying to quit.  If I buy the carton, I’ll smoke them all”.  When I woke up, I remembered how I lied to myself that way for years.  For 30 some years I always bought cartons.  Then 12 years ago, I got “serious” about quitting again.  Told myself I would only buy one pack and quit after that.  Then I bought one more pack.  Then one more.  At 15 cigarettes a day, times 365 days in a year, divided by 20 cigarettes in a pack, times 10 years – that’s 2,740 times I told myself this is the last pack I’m buying!  What's that old saying about doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results? 

Your Head.jpg

30 Replies
NewMe

I used that "only one pack at a time" trick for about the last 6 months that I smoked, because I was "getting serious" about quitting. Now, when I look back on those days, I have to shake my head and laugh. Didn't really slow down my smoking any, but did add a lot of anxiety when I got close to running out, and was a much bigger drain on the finances for sure.

sweetplt

Been there ... was you ... Tom...Thanks for sharing...~ Colleen 260 DOF 

DavesTime

Ditto

0 Kudos
YoungAtHeart

My rationalization was a humdinger!  I actually had myself believing that if I ate a healthy diet (no red meat, low fat, low carb, 7 fruits/vegetables EVERY day, etc.) kept my weight at a steady 118-120,  did yoga and meditated to relieve stress,  and exercised EVERY day for 30 minutes (over an hour a day on the weekends), I could negate the bad effects of smoking.

I believed it until a vascular surgeon advised me differently! I had blockages in the arteries going to both legs!  He got my attention when he said, "I can make your blood vessels 50 again, but if you continue to smoke, you will need this surgery again and you will probably not be healthy enough for me to do it!"  Left unsaid was that I could actually lose a foot or a leg due to bad circulation, or, at the very least, not be able to swim or walk which I so loved to do. OMG - I could not find a doctor fast enough to help figure out the best way for me to quit (I took Chantix).  My only and final quit began a week later; that was over 7 years ago!

It still amazes me that I could make myself believe that I was different, I was special, and the bad effects would not be a problem for MEEEEE!

What we won't do to continue our addiction-fueled lives!

Sootie

Love the title---yes-----the stupid lies we told ourselves!

How about----"I do so little for myself...why can't I just have smoking?"

OR----the oldie but goodie----"We all have to die of something!"

daverson828

Yes! My best friend buys cartons, and for a long time I'd been telling myself that "at least I'm not that bad." Even though I smoked at least as much, if not more, than her. Smart guy, I am. 

I also told myself frequently that I was going to quit, but had to finish this pack first. It was the strangest thing -- another always seemed to end up in the grocery bag...

avian3

I was a regular at the gym always telling my non smoking friends they need to join and get healthy. After I quit I asked them why at that time they didn't tell me to "go to hell, you stupid hypocrite!"

Another thing I would tell myself was, "I will quit when I am 30......40......50.....    I have plenty of time and I'm still in good health.

TriGirl

SAME!!!! 

avian3

When I wrote this I didn't realize the three words would be bleeped out, thinking they weren't that offensive, or I would have left them out. Now when I read it, it looks like I might have said something worse than I actually did.