cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Lucille322

Can Ecigs cause respiratory issues?

Just wondering if people smoke cigarettes and ecigs.  I’m 66 yrs and have smoked since I was 16.  In all that time I only quit for 6 weeks.  I remember when I was into college and when you came to class you’d grab an ashtray and smoked at your desk.  Even professors smoked.  So, smoking was pretty normal.  It’s been over a year since I had an acute manic episode.  Took a long time to get stable.  During that time my anxiety was horrible.  Since we are unable to smoke in our apartments, I started to smoke ecigs inside. Then go outside to smoke regular cigarettes.  Basically, I had a cigarette in my mouth every waking hour.  In the past 2 months Ive been experiencing terrible COPD.  It’s awful.  Hard to breathe, tired all the time.  Use 2inhalers and nebulizer.  Much of the time the steroids make me miserable and suffer more anxiety.  I quit regular cigarette about 6 weeks ago but went back to smoking for a week.  Still using ecig because I’m so addicted.  I’m trying to rid myself of this habit.  It’s destroying my lungs.  My nicotine level is 4 now.  Suffocating is not a way to die.  It is truly miserable.  My doctor was ok with ecig but said to quit tobacco cigs.  This was about 2 yrs ago.  Since then, actually this past week, there have been reports about kids vaping in Minnesota (where I live) and are suffering serious respiratory problems.  I want to learn about anyone who smoke ecigs and if they are having any symptoms from it.  Thanks kindly

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
13 Replies
sweetplt

Hi and Welcome to Ex’s...Lucille322 

I am glad you found our site...I have never smoked anything other than cigarettes, I can’t answer about ecigs, however, anything we breath in our lungs other than air is bad.  Quitting will help your COPD, but there is no cure...I suggest you read at My EX Plan | BecomeAnEX and make a quit date and prepare for that day like no other.  Throw all smoking paraphernalia out the night before your quit.  Come to the support site and encourage others to quit with your story.  Also, come here and get help.  You are so WORTH this QUIT...Please do it...your health depends on it...We are all in this journey together...replace smoking with another healthy item....keep this list close to you.../blogs/Maggie_quit_8-1-2010-blog/2012/03/19/100-things-to-do-instead-of-smoking?sr=search&searchId=a... Now get working ... and join us on this journey....~ Colleen 258 DOF 

0 Kudos
Sootie

I never smoked e-cigs so I hope you will accept my opinion.

You have COPD probably from smoking cigarettes.

What MIGHT you have later from using e-cigs?

Our lungs were made to breathe in air and nothing else.

This is a FANTASTIC site for support in quitting....cigarettes, e-cigs  whatever....we are here.

Hope you stay with our community and learn how wonderful it is to beat addiction.

Welcome to EX! We are all here for each other.

0 Kudos
Lucille322

Thank you for your input. I appreciate it. Copd started very suddenly. I

do not have a cough or wheezing. But the shortness of breath makes me

reaching for air and I get extremely tired. Feel like there’s a sack of

cement on my chest.

On Sun, Aug 18, 2019 at 8:12 PM Sootie <communityadmin@becomeanex.org>

Sootie

I am so sorry to hear this...there is probably nothing scarier than feeling as if you cannot breathe.

Thomas3.20.2010‌ has a LOT of information about COPD in his blogs. I hope you stay here in our community and quit......it is so worth it!

0 Kudos
elvan

You really need to quit e-cigarettes and regular cigarettes.  I, too, have COPD and it is a horrible thing to live with.  I think the jury is still out on what e-cigarettes may do to people but don't chance it.  I went to college when we could smoke too...I was a nurse and I smoked at the nurse's station, the doctors smoked.  It's just not worth risking any more damage to your lungs.  Stay close to the site, education about nicotine addiction is a great tool, understanding that recovery has to be one day at a time is vital,  as is support from people who know what you are going through.  I am sure that YoungAtHeart‌ will be along soon to give you her welcome.

In the meantime, welcome to EX.

Ellen

0 Kudos
Lucille322

Thank you. I hope to get rid of this but have about 1/4 left of juice. So

hopefully will say goodbye to the ecig. It’s hard to believe how we could

smoke anywhere. I don’t know how non smokers could stand it!

0 Kudos

I would definitely say good bye to both, Lucille. and you are in a very special place for support! I have Stage 3 COPD and quit smoking 9 years ago. I 'm really sorry that you have COPD, too. There is a group right here with information and support about COPD‌. Research shows that the only method that will slow the progression of the illness is smoking cessation. You quit for 6 weeks and learned a lot about the quit journey. Get started at sweetplt‌'s suggestions and stay close. The more you blog and comment, the better we get to know you and can help you with addictive thinking. It's never too late or too soon to quit smoking! Like Today!

LLAP!

Lucille322

Thank you. Really appreciate your feedback. I’m hoping my copd will be

managed after I quit (looking at Friday).

On Mon, Aug 19, 2019 at 3:02 AM Thomas3.20.2010 <

0 Kudos
JACKIE1-25-15

Good morning.  I have never smoked and ecig.  If you are quitting you have come to the right place for support.  Start here to get an idea of what you can do. Quitting E-cigarettes | Guides & Tools | BecomeAnEX