cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

WhispersQSMB

Netflix Curbs Tobacco Use Onscreen

Netflix Reduces Onscreen Smoking Of Tobacco But Not Cannabis : Shots - Health News : NPR 

I watch the Series The Deuce on HBO, they smoke and drink a lot in that series that's based in the 70's . Great idea to curb it Netflix, if it watched these shows early in my quit I can see getting sudden urges

0 Kudos
8 Replies
WhispersQSMB

Not sure why they don't reduce the "smoking" of cannabis

0 Kudos
Gwenivere

As much as it triggers things for us, I would hate to see shows cut down or eliminate smoking if it is relevant to the era.   I lived thru those decades and that was the norm.   people will always smoke and drink.  That’s like shows or movies not to have drinking because there are alcoholics.  Pot smoking has always been there too.

I have a knack for finding movies of spouse deaths and since that is very hard for me so I often bail on them.  I was addicted to coke and it took me years to watch Scarface.  Excellent picture but not at the time I was in it.  I guess I want shows accurately portraying the reality, not trying to be 'politically correct'.  It has been really cut back on the shows of this time era.  The commercials for Jull and ads I’ve ive seen in magazines for actual cigarettes it what astounds me.  

Just my humble opinion.

avian3

I'm with you. I watched a lot of TCM old movies when I first quit and there were a lot of smokers. I had a tendency to inhale deeply as I watched them inhale the smoke on TV but it never was a trigger for me. If it had, I would have turned it off and stayed away from watching anything that might have triggered me in those early days. That first couple of months or so I had to stay away from alcohol and coffee or I know that would have meant a relapse for me. I guess we are all affected differently when we first quit.

WhispersQSMB

When kids see it in a movie, it glamorizes smoking why they're curbing it . In a movie or a series, you have an urge and look at a person smoking its like F (chnl change).   The Deuce is good, real good if you know that era. Catch it ondemand HBO

avian3

Thanks, I will check it out. I am always looking for Netflix suggestions.

0 Kudos
avian3

I just realized you said HBO on demand. I will check that out.

WhispersQSMB

Alternate endings on HBO as well

WhispersQSMB

Gwenivere‌, i just saw a documentary called Alternate endings. It was about people preparing for their death, i had to sign my mother into hospice as her cancer was aggressive and she wasnt strong enough for the options. That was tough for me to watch but as much as i wanted to shut it off i battled through it