cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

RevTerrie

4th day

I quit on the 12th. I took 2 puffs of a cigarette that day and put it out because I didn't want to ruin what I started. I've had so much stress since my quit date I can't believe I'm not smoking. My mom keeps offering me cigarettes, telling me that I've been doing so good that one won't hurt me. I just tell her that it's hard enough NOT to smoke and I don't want to start over. Yesterday, one of my family members yelled at me on the phone because she was drunk. I wanted a cigarette so bad, but I did everything I could and got past it. I have an extremely dysfunctional family and almost all of them smoke. So, my living situation right now and having people try to get me to smoke a cigarette isn't making it easy, but so far I'm doing it. I don't want to start over with this.... I want to keep going. Can someone come and get my family and adopt them, please!? Many of them are alcoholics.

0 Kudos
9 Replies

First off, CONGRATULATIONS on four days!! You're getting over the first hump. I can't believe that your family shows so little support for what you're trying to do, but I'm really proud of you for not letting them get you to cave, which is what they really want, I think. In my experience for some reason other smokers want to keep quitters from quitting. Perhaps it comes from jealousy or maybe they do it to show that a smoker really can't quit. Whatever the reason, it's wrong and I'm sorry you have to deal with it.

For me when I quit, I was surrounded by inconsiderate (and some considerate) smokers and I realized right away that if I couldn't handle to be around smokers and stay smoke free then I wouldn't ever be able to quit. So far you've proven that you can even when they shove cigarettes right in your face. You've shown a strong desire to be free of addiction and you prove this to yourself every time to get past another one of these circumstances. Take care of you and don't let them derail your quit. You deserve to be free. I can tell from your resolve. Every time they try to get you, just come here and type it all out. That's what I did!

ONWARD TO FREEDOM!!!

Chuck

YoungAtHeart

It might help to think what, exactly, will change in any of those circumstances if you smoke?!  The answer is that nothing will change, except for how bad you will feel for having lost your quit.  Perhaps you might think of it as a challenge to win and not let them cause you to lose what is so important to you?

If you can, try to walk away or just excuse yourself from the phone call when they start.  No reason you have to put up with their negativity. 

You are doing GREAT!  WE will give you all the support you need!  Stay close!

Nancy

elvan

Protect your quit like your life depends upon it...it just MIGHT.  Smoking doesn't make anything better and it does so much harm.  I found smokers to be really challenging in previous quits...this time, I just talked about my quit all the time and drove them nuts.  I told them that my quit HAD to come first and I hoped they understood that just one puff doesn't exist.  NOPE, Not One Puff Ever!

Ellen

sweetplt

Congratulations RevTerrie on 4 days of freedom...In the beginning of our quits, everything seems to be magnified by quitting...ie., a drunk family member on the phone, would have been bad in the past, but seems worse now ... with out your addiction...I don’t know how you can do it...but avoid, hang up or close the door to all these toxic people.  Be sure to tell them they cannot come and smoke in your room, you should be allowed one save haven...please keep close to this support site to have people who will commend you on your journey...God Speed...Happy Friday ~ Colleen 256 DOF 

RevTerrie

I did hang up the phone..... I snuggled my dog instead

RevTerrie

I appreciate all of your comments and especially the support that you've shown me. I keep telling my mom that I asked her to quit with me when I decided on my quit date and she could be doing this with me right now instead of trying to get me to smoke. She has heart disease and C.O.P.D. so instead of vaping along with smoking, it would do her wonders to be quitting. Dad doesn't offer me cigarettes because he just assumes I'm going to fail and start smoking. He smokes about 3 packs a day and has emphysema. Part of the stress is living independently, on your own for your whole adult life and then, suddenly you have health issues and have to move in to your parent's house, you lose your income and have people telling you what you should do everyday. My faith and my friends.... and my dog... keep me going and make me realize that things won't always be this way. I've wanted cigarettes out of my life for so long and each hour and each day that goes by that I don't smoke makes me want it more. I don't want to be a smoker anymore. So, with all of your support and God helping me through it.... I will prove that I can do it. My Gram and Pap raised me and yesterday was the day Gram died 5 years ago. If I got through that day without smoking, I should be able to get through anything. I love and miss the two of them so much and I'm sure they're up there doing everything they can to help me win every battle. I'll keep coming back here.....

elvan

I have COPD, emphysema and had both upper lobes of my lungs surgically removed to help stop me from trapping air so that I couldn't get a decent sized breath in.  I am still short of breath, it has been almost four years since the surgery but I absolutely do not regret quitting.  I do find your situation to be incredibly challenging but smoking wouldn't help it.  Smoking doesn't help ANYTHING!  I really hope and pray that you can get out of that environment sooner rather than later.  

DO stay close to the site, we can be counted among your friends.

Ellen

marciem

Congratulations, RevTerrie‌ ... !! On four days smoke-free, and on holding on to your quit despite all the problems you've had, for realizing that smoking won't make any of those things better, and for loving yourself enough to put You = Your Quit /above = life issues. 

Continue to nurture and protect your quit like a newborn child, don't let any attacks on it (i.e. offers of smokes,  or the "you'll fail" attitudes) or other triggers (alcoholic rantings from relatives/people) harm that precious quit!!

You deserve your freedom.  There WILL come a day when it won't be so difficult, the more times you get through these obvious stressors the easier it becomes.

Stay close to here, and use this site as a sounding board for your problems, or just to keep your hands busy when those outside forces or inner demons keep screaming at you to smoke and be done with this struggle.  Continue the march forward regardless!

Barbscloud

Sorry your living situation is so difficult.   Keeping your quit in that situation shows how committed you are to keeping your quit.   Stay close during those difficult times.

Barb