cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Dear Man

The ability to remain calm and focused in stressful situations is central to making positive decisions.

Goldie Hawn - American Actress

I have been taking a class in Dialectic Behavioral Therapy. DBT is a cognitive behavioral therapy based on balancing how much I accept my problems vs. changing the problem. It's important to reduce avoidance and try other ways of coping. Here is an appropriate example:

D - describe the facts of the case

I have a very strong craving for a Sickerette

I am uncomfortable and triggered by a confrontation with my boss over dbt class

I am flooded with compelling emotion to go to whatever lengths to get and smoke a Sickerette

E - express your feelings

I am very angry, irritated, fearful about my boss and my job

I feel as though I need a Sickerette so that I don't yell at my boss, walk out on my job, or otherwise, get fired

A  - assert 

Ask my boss for what I feel that I need for my job or say no to a request that I find unreasonable

Tell myself that the short term relief of a Sickerette will only lead to long term misery

Let my addiction know that I acknowledge it and there is a difference between need and want  - I don't need a                  Sickerette - I need to not smoke even more

R - reinforce

Tell my boss what I like about my job and how dbt class would make me even more effective in my opinion

Acknowledge to myself that the craving makes me uncomfortable and limits my ability to focus at this time  

M - mindful

Stay present and active listening to boss' response while keeping my request in the fore-front

Be in the room - do a body scan if necessary to remind me where I am and what I am doing now

A - appear confident

Control my body language to be effective and competent not angry or defensive - smile, make eye contact, keep              open hands, good tone of voice, express certainty

N - negotiate

Be willing to give to get with my boss. "I will need to go to dbt class during working hours because I am learning

skills that will make my absences overall fewer," "I will have fewer absences because my breathing will improve and 

I will have fewer panic attacks"

I know I can make it through this without a Sickerette and will feel victorious even if my boss doesn't agree with me 

about dbt class   

Maybe somebody else could benefit from this skill. Here I am using it simultaneously with my boss and with my addictive self. It is used to improve interpersonal and intrapersonal relationships, i.e., with myself.

6 Replies
constanceclum

Thanks for sharing. This is something we can all benefit from.

Connie

0 Kudos
sweetplt

pastedImage_1.png Happy Thursday Thomas...~ Colleen 255 DOF 

0 Kudos
Giulia

When we want to change how we respond to things in life, it takes this kind of self-analysis.  Good stuff!

0 Kudos
Strudel

Always the educator! Thanks Thomas!

0 Kudos
elvan

This is wonderful, Thomas!  

0 Kudos
indingrl

cool thanks for sharing Thomas - I just finished a book  titled - trust works by ken Blanchard - same teaching  and am I in my relationships at work home or family a whole person - since I am the problem from the insides -  STOP and ask myself am I grown up or letting the automatic victim child from my childhood run my life today at age 62 yrs - NOT TODAY!

0 Kudos