cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

mdkrn2001

Helppppppp

So is it normal to be on day 3 of quit and still have craves 4-6 times/hour? Even with Chantix? I know everyone is different, and my mind sure is playing tricks. I find the NicoDemon saying/doing anything it can to try to convinvce me to light up. I had to walk by some smokers and instead of hold my breath, I took in a deep nasal breath of their smoke and it smelled so good I was disgusted. But at least Indidnt smoke., NOPE! But seriously back to my original question???

24 Replies
sweetplt

Hello and Welcome to Ex’s mdkrn2001 

My goodness yes...it takes about 3 days for nicotine to leave your body.  Also, it takes awhile for your body to heal from all the years you put chemicals into it...Also, craves and urges can come off and on for weeks in the beginning of your quit.  

I suggest you read at My EX Plan | BecomeAnEX to learn more about quitting, urges and craves.  Have you read some blogs? There is much information on this subject.  The more educated you get on this subject the more you will understand this journey...

Keep saying NOPE NMW....~ Colleen 254 DOF 

mdkrn2001

Hello, I guess I was under the impression the way Chantix worked, it would bind to your nicotine receptors and withdrawal wouldn’t be as bad? Well, if not, that’s ok too, just wanted to be sure it wasn’t abnormal. Thank you!

0 Kudos
sweetplt

Hopefully someone who used Chantix will give you more feedback mdkrn2001 ... but I think it is all fairly normal this early...Hang tough...

0 Kudos
Barbara145

Congrats on quitting smoking.  Just about anything is normal early on.  Take it one day at a time.  You can have a really bad day and the next one can be pretty good.  You are doing this.

Sootie

I did not use Chantix so cannot comment on that. But I can say that pretty much for the first month and maybe longer, smoking....or rather NOT smoking..... consumed my every thought for pretty much all day. This is very normal but also very tough. Because what often happens is that you get so worn out trying not to think about smoking that you give in and................smoke! So try not to "fight" craves.......take them out, examine them, think about how you are feeling, tell yourself that you CAN get over this......a crave never killed anyone. You sort of "ride" it like a big scary wave.....sooner or later it breaks on the shore. Do try to distract yourself if you can and do things that do not remind you of smoking. I don't know your age or abilities but I found that doing things I never smoked while doing was a way to fight craving. For me.....this was basically a lot of things I did as a kid.......skating, skipping rope, chewing bubble gum ping pong (yes dumb I know) and doing jig saw puzzles.......things that were never connected to smoking. Get enough rest and STAY STRONG. Three days is great but three days is early days. How long did you smoke? You can't expect to get over a many year addiction in three days.

YoungAtHeart

Welcome to our community!

You are breaking free from a two-part addiction - physical AND psychological. The first couple of weeks suck - no doubt about it - and you have to be 100% committed and do the reading and have your distraction tools handy to get past those craves.   The Chantix blocks the dopamine release from your brain receptors so that the pleasure you derived from smoking doesn't happen.  I hope you started taking it a week before you quit, so you gradually reduced your smoking over that time?   If not - it's OK - but it won't have had the time yet to do its thing.  I took Chantix and STILL had craves, too.  Read on to understand why!

The important thing you can do right now is to educate yourself on what nicotine does to your body and mind. To that end, I highly recommend Allen Carr's “The Easy Way to Stop Smoking.” This is an easy and entertaining read. You can search for it online or at your local library. If you do nothing else, please do give this a read.

You should also read the posts here and perhaps go to the pages of folks who you think might be helpful. You might visit whyquit.com, quitsmoking.com and livewell.com for the good information contained there. @https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/groups/best-of-ex has lots of blogs written by members of this site with their experiences and guidance. Here is a video to inform you further about nicotine addiction: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IpWMgPHn0Lo&feature=youtu.be.

The idea is to change up your routines so the smoking associations are reduced.  Drink your coffee with your OTHER hand in a place different from when you smoked. Maybe switch to tea for a bit.  If you always had that first smoke with your coffee, try putting your tennies on right out of bed, going for a quick walk, then taking your shower and THEN your coffee! Rearrange the furniture in the areas you used to smoke so the view is different. Buy your gas at a different station. Take a different route to work. Take a quick walk at break time where the smokers AREN'T.

You need to distract yourself through any craves.  You can take a bite out of a lemon (yup - rind and all), put your head in the freezer and take a deep breath of cold air, do a few jumping jacks, go for a brisk walk or march in place, play a computer game.  Keep a cold bottle of water with you from which to sip. Don't let that smoking thought rattle around in your brain unchallenged. Sometimes you need to quit a minute or an hour at a time.  You will need to be disciplined in the early days to distract yourself when a crave hits.    Get busy!  Here is a link to a list of things to do instead of smoke if you need some fresh ideas:
 https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/blogs/Youngatheart.7.4.12-blog/2013/02/25/100-things-to-do-instea...
The conversation in your head in response to the "I want a cigarette" thought needs to be, "Well, since I have decided not to do that anymore, what shall I do instead for the three minutes this crave will last?"  Then DO it.  You will need to put some effort into this in the early days, but it gets easier and easier to do.

Stay close to us here and ask questions when you have them and for support when you need it. We will be with you every step of the way!

Nancy

mdkrn2001

Nancy, the Chantix didn’t deter me from smoking at all unfortunately. I smoked the same amount on Chantix as I did before taking it. It didn’t taste good but I guess I didn’t care because I kept smoking the same amount, finally just decided if it isn’t going to help with the craves and smoking, then I either need to quit the Chantix or quit smoking, so I just quit smoking, about a week before my quit date. I still crave about every 30 min or so and seems I am fighting all day long regardless of what type of distraction I try. Ready to give in, but I figure if I do, I won’t get that rush most likely anyways due to the Chantix, but who knows.

0 Kudos
elvan

One day at a time and when that's too long, make it one hour at a time or one minute at a time.  Find something to do to distract yourself.  This WILL pass, I did not take Chantix so I cannot tell you what to expect with that but I CAN tell you that getting through three days smoke free is great.  It will get easier but there are always going to be good days and bad days, just like when you smoked.  Smoking does not do anything FOR you, just TO you.  Please remember that and take your journey without fighting ...OldBones-Larry‌ says "One step, and then another, will get you to where you want to be."  Great advice.

Hang in there, we are all here for you.

Ellen

quit smoking crave chart

Perhaps this will help?