cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

ajcriddle

So tired

Yesterday was my quit date. So far, so good. I am just so sleepy. I have been drinking more water and less caffeine. I even went for a run this morning. All I want to do is go back to bed. How can I cope with this without increasing my sugar or caffeine intake?

0 Kudos
7 Replies
sweetplt

HI ajcriddle this happened to me...I was very tired the first month...I found that my body was healing from all the chemicals/nicotine in cigarettes and I had to rest a lot...but I also, had to exercise more to get some of the same dopamine that cigarettes provided...I found working out, running, walking the dog...helped...but honestly...it takes time and it takes the body resting...Congratulations on making DAY 1 DAY WON...~ Colleen 254 DOF 

AnnetteMM

Personally I think a temporary increase in sugar and caffeine is warranted if that's what it takes to quit and be able to function.

JACKIE1-25-15

If you are tired and sleepy take a nap. This is a very small price to pay to be free from nicotine.  It can be so refreshing to look at all you go through as a body cleansing.  Detox.  We never realized how much harm we were subjecting our bodies inhaling all kinds of chemicals.  Just know that you are doing the right thing and if you need more sleep don't fight it get it.  I call that keeping it simple.  Makes quitting easier.  The journey continues....Stay close. Congrats on Day WON.  You can do it. One day at a time.  1662 DOF

elvan

It is very common to feel tired at the beginning, I didn't give up caffeine, I just drank green tea instead of coffee because I was afraid that coffee was a trigger.  It really wasn't for me since I never smoked in the house and I never took my coffee outside.  I ate Sour Patch Kids because they distracted me, going for a run was wonderful, good for you!   Exercise is a great way to release dopamine and I found it to be incredibly helpful with my quit...once I could do it, I smoked for a long time and got really sick and when I quit, I was like a wet dishrag for a while, I had no energy, I couldn't even stay sitting up for any length of time.  Congratulations on your beautiful quit...and if you CAN, take a nap, your body is detoxifying and it's a big job.

Ellen

PastTense

All I want to do is take a nap right now.  Quitting has given me mild insomnia as well as sludge in my brain.

More water is good for your quit - and so is taking a nap or getting to bed a little earlier if possible.

Our bodies are doing the heavy lifting in the quit.  They are going through withdrawal and then working hard to repair the damage caused by inhaling burning chemical fumes.  The least we can do is be kind to ourselves for a couple of days.

Day 2 is hard, but you made good decisions to drink water, get some exercise and post here.  A brisk walk might help you feel more alive in the short term. 

Good job!

PT

Keep the Quit
PT
marciem

PastTense‌ said it well 

Our bodies are doing the heavy lifting in the quit. 

That's exactly right.  This early part of your quit, the most important thing is your quit and being kind to yourself and taking care of your inner baby.

If you're sleepy, nap.  If you're hungry, eat.  If you crave sweets, eat 'em.  If coffee is a trigger, find something else you like to drink for the short term.  If not, don't worry about cutting back in the near-time.  Once your quit is solid, you can take care of other issues you might want.  Don't overwhelm yourself.   You don't have to do all your perceived needed fixes at one time.  (I personally find I drink way less coffee since quitting, not by effort I just don't want as much... but that's me.)

Quitting smoking can be overwhelming and difficult enough without raising other hurdles that might trip you up and possibly creating a domino effect (giving up on ALL efforts).

Best to you!!

Barbscloud

I agree.  If you need to sleep right now, then by all means do.  You're body is telling you it wants to heal from the nicotine and all the chemicals you've been ingesting.   Big congrats on day won.  Keep moving forward on your journey.

Barb