cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

jcklfk

Tricks or strategies

What are some of the tricks people have developed to skip or delay lighting up?

0 Kudos
11 Replies
maryfreecig

Walk. Read. Suck on a straw. Sucker candy. Treat. Watch quit videos. Draw. Work. Said things like, I'm not smoking--period. Go for a drive. I delayed smoking for the two plus weeks til my quit. Then it was all about NOT SMOKING and building my quit.

constanceclum

I spend quite a bit of time on a hidden objects fb game that I play with a team. It not only keeps my brain from thinking about smoking, it keeps my hands busy.

Connie

0 Kudos
Barbscloud

Video games have been a life saver. I get lost in the game and lose track of the time.  Or getting on the internet and researching something I'm interested in at the time.

elvan

I agree with the people who have already responded, I also drank lots and lots of water to flush the nicotine out of my system, I ate Sour Patch Kids because they shocked me with their sourness, and I took deep breaths IN to the count of five and held it a few seconds and exhaled to the count of 10...I blew bubbles and watched them float away in the wind.  If you exhale too fast or too hard, you don't get any bubbles.  This is a journey...just delay each time you want a cigarette, put it off a little longer.  That's what JonesCarpeDiem‌ did...like 12 years ago.

Welcome to EX,

Ellen

Katystuckel

I just set a quit date and am putting bubbles on my supply list. Thank you!

0 Kudos
elvan

Katystuckel‌ I went to pulmonary rehabilitation and the respiratory therapist told me that would help me to breathe the right way.  I also blow a ping pong ball across a pool with the water up over my chest.  It ensures that I am emptying my lungs by taking deep breaths in through my nose, holding, and then slowly exhaling through pursed lips.  It's a real challenge on a windy day.  I don't usually do it when anyone else is there, LOL.  Congratulations on setting your quit date, stay close to the site, everyone here wants to help you succeed. 

We have all been where you are...welcome to EX.

Ellen

talk to yourself.

Every time you think of smoking say, "I'm going to wait a little longer." You will cut down automatically without any negativity. Don't deny yourself or count. This will get you to stop and think BEFORE you smoke and get you off the automatic cigarettes.

PastTense

I can resist ANYTHING - except temptation.

My first and best trick is to not have any cigarettes available.  I quote the brilliant jonescarp.aka.dale.Jan_2007 Blog‌ who told me "No carry, No scarry".  A powerful truth.

I also use 3x3 breathing (inhale for the count of 3, hold for the count of 3, exhale for the count of three).  I believe this mimics the way we smoke, so I get the sensations without the whole cancer causing burning chemical lung-destroying side affects for smoking.  Big plus there.

I also read and respond here.  Always helpful.

PT

Keep the Quit
PT
0 Kudos
GyorgyiM

We are all made up of many layers......

So one morning after 43 years at 2 packs a day, I choose to "remove" that layer of my persona.......... the "Smoker".

From that moment I lived my life as a Non-Smoker....but I did NOT use that terminology..... 

If someone asked me for a cigarette or light.....I simply said with total conviction  "I don't smoke", as if I NEVER did in the first place. This not only helped my mental status stay strong, but also allowed me to get through the temporary  physical discomforts, since I new I was "reinventing" myself for the better, happier and healthier ME.

.... and that's how I live each day of my life. 

Which ever way works best for you...............we ALL support you!!

Smiles,

Gyorgyi