cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Sjumper

Will I be able to focus at work on my first day of quitting?

My quit day is tomorrow. I've tried before and only got through half the day before experiencing extreme migraines and cravings and turning back. I'm wondering if on my first quit day, will it effect my performance at my job. Is working good to help keep your mind off of it, even though my smoking is embedded into my work routine? Thank you

7 Replies
PastTense

Hello, Sjumper and welcome to the group!!

I'm excited for your quit. 

I am still a newbie here myself, but have 12 DOF (days of freedom) and I can tell you what worked for me.

Have a written quit plan.  Think about your smoke triggers - especially at work - and have a plan for what you will do instead.  If you usually take a smoke break at 9:15, have a plan to go for a walk on the other side of the building, for instance.  Or treat yourself to a soda from the (non-smoking) break room.  If you usually smoke with other people, be prepared with what you will tell them.  Having a plan will help you focus and stay quit.

Are you quitting cold-turkey or are you using some kind of help?  If you are using meds or NRT (like the patch or gum); make sure you read and follow the instructions.

Have you made yourself a Quit Kit?  That really helped me.  I had straws (chew on them, puff on them, fiddle with them), sugar-free mints, sugar-free gum in 5 flavors, and sugar-free cough drops.  The cough drops were the most helpful, I think.  Water Bottle - sipping water is a great way to take your mind off smoking.  Sipping water through a straw combined several quit helps.

The number one help for me was coming to this site and reading or blogging instead of going on a smoke break

I'll be looking for your first day pledge tomorrow!

PT

12 DOF

Keep the Quit
PT
Sjumper

Thank you SO much for your reply!

I'm actually an e-cigarette smoker so many people don't actually know about my addiction (being the fact that its so discreet). But trust me, I am highly addicted. 

I'd love to go cold turkey and get the nicotine out of my system, without the use of other nicotine products, although I think I might get some gum to have on deck- in case I have an intense craving I cant get through (can act as a "plan B".) The patches don't appeal to me, as they are visible on your body and being that it's summer...I don't love that aspect.

The quit kit sounds like one of the best ideas I've seen on here so far.

Not sure what might work for me, but I'll do some thinking on this- But had some similar ideas, straw, twizzlers, ect. Sugar-free gum, maybe some altoids. 

Going to try to start some new habits, and see how that helps (cooking more, more trips to the gym ect) hoping this will keep me distracted.

Thanks so much for the pointers.

Really going to try to see it through this time!

And I'll be lurking around here a lot to stay motivated.

Thanks!

sweetplt

Hi and Welcome to Ex's  sjumper

Of course you can make it through work on your quit date.  The question is are your prepared for your quit date...if not, read at My Quit Plan ... Be sure to have healthy items in place of smoking paraphernalia.  Read everything you can about quitting and know this is so doable with a positive attitude.  Keep close to the support site to encourage others on this journey and to get your support. Have a quit box ready to take to work...straws, baby carrots, hard candy, lots of bottle water, etc., You can do this...Make Day 1 at work, Day Won...Happy Monday...now get busy working on your soon to be quit...~ Colleen 252 DOF

Barbscloud

Welcome to the Ex.  As others have said, its important to be prepared.   Replace when you normally smoked at work--go for walk, deep breather, water, I liked chewing on straws.  Bottom line is to stay busy, physically and mentally.  And reach out if you need help.  We're here for you.

Barb

elvan

I was afraid that I would not be able to concentrate at work when I first quit...I just told everyone that I had just quit smoking and asked for their patience.  Turns out I didn't need their patience but I sure did get an amazing amount of support.  I have not smoked in over 5 1/2 years not and I am not the least bit sorry that I quit...I will always be sorry that I started.

Welcome to EX, we are all here to help you in any way that we can.

Ellen

JACKIE1-25-15

Your quit is what you make it.  It can be hard or it can be harder.  Quitting smoking is not easy but doable.  It takes work with the mental attitude that no matter what "I will not smoke".  If you are comfortable with it.  Let other's know that you are quitting smoking.  Education is the key to a successful quit. Come here read as much as you can. No matter how you plan to do it you have to make a vow to yourself that no matter what you will not smoke and you will never ever put your hands on one ever again.  NOPE.  Tell yourself that you do not need a cigarette and that you just don't do that anymore. Deep breathing is a great tool for your quit kit.  You can take it anywhere.   It may not be easy at first but with determination and willingness to go through some rough spots you can make it.  One day at a time.  This is a journey and a process that takes time.  Stay on the road to freedom. Come here as often as you can. 

virgomama

All the above are good suggestions.  My saving grace was a written plan that I could look at at any time because sometimes the craves addled my brain.  And this site.  Knowledge is the key.  Read, read, read.  I'm 300 days into my quit and I can tell you it is already soooo worth it.  We're here for you.  You can do this.