cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discuss different approaches to quitting, including medication

elizabeth17

How do you get through a crave?

I'm reading so much on this site about fellow ex-ers using chantix and lozenges and patches and gum. I love it that those methods work so well for so many of us, but they are not for me. I'm sure I'm not the only one to feel that way, so I started this group in hope that like-minded quitters will come out of the woodwork and share their unconventional tips for surviving (and actually thriving) our craves and quits!

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
12 Replies
julia

When I have a crave, I take long deep breaths and drink water really fast...the odd are pretty good that we smokers still have crap in our lungs so it stirs it up a little and thus ends the crave. I go for my stash of lollipops and then it fades.

I wouldn't recommend quitting cold turkey. It's too hard on so many levels. Physically, emotionally and putting your body through stress. Use an aid to help you quit. It totally helps and makes you a more successful "quitter."

You'll have to try to see what works for you.

Good luck to all and let's stay in this together!

Much strength,
Julie...day 63.
0 Kudos
elizabeth17

I can fully appreciate where you are coming from. Like I said, cold turkey isn't for everyone. My last failed quit I was using lozenges and the patch; these aids just gave me something new to obsess about... do I have my patches? I need more lozenges... etc. I want to break behavior patterns, not modify them. Since the physical withdrawals are over and out after 72 hours, for me, mind over matter is where it's at. As for taking pills to quit, I've heard just as much negative feedback as good. Personal finances can be an issue with that option as well. I really want to stress that this method isn't for everyone and cessation aids work wonders for many fellow quitters. But just as I'd never discourage anyone from using an aid to assist their quit, I also acknowledge that people are different in many different ways, and cold turkey is the perfect solution for many. That being said, I'd really love to hear how some of my fellow cold turkey quitters relive craves when cessation aids just aren't for you... btw I have a 17 day quit going and it's only building momentum. I have some very special supporters on this site and you all mean the world to me! XOXOXO
0 Kudos
mary2

You know, when I quit cold turkey, it was hard but I refused to give in and go buy that pack of ciggies. One way I coped was sunflower seeds. Gawd..they were all over the place and the first week my tongue hurt. Every morning was a struggle. It got easier as the days went by but it was only when I hit the 90 days of not smoking that I knew I was free. I got up to 2 years.. And here I am trying again, sucks.
0 Kudos
vabeachbum

Hi Elizabeth~ Just wanted to point out our similar feelings. Everyone has different styles and certain avenues that help them better. I like mind over matter. I have learned that my coffee and morning smoke went hand in hand. So, with that being said, I cut the coffee and replaced it with Tea. It has done me wonders! It has been 4 days now, no smoking! I stopped cold turkey, kinda...kinda because I have been replacing my smoking triggers with other things. I feel the urge, I get up and walk around or find some busy work to do. I have noticed the busier I am, the less I think about it:) I am hoping that slowly but surely, as each day passes, I begin to think less and less about smoking. I'd be lying to you if I said I haven't thought about sneaking out back of the office! I was a closet smoker...hated smoking around others, or at least certain people. I had my smoking buddies at work. Now, when we go outside, instead of smoking I just observe. Observe how disgusting it is to see someone smoke. I watch their hands, mouth, face...all of it. I smell them as they walk by just thinking to myself how disgusting it is to walk around all day smelling like that. Maybe I'm hoping to use the gross factor, who knows. I can tell I am going to be one of those obnoxious irritating ex-smokers...sorry in advance !!

Here's to no smoking for 4 days...CHEERS!

Sincerely, Jessica
0 Kudos
julia

Hi Mary,

Hang in there...this is my 5th time quitting and I am determined it's the last!

Julie
0 Kudos
becca5

i don't know. i got the lozenges, but they were a pain and i realized that i was okay, but now that i'm back at work, it's harder and i've been slipping up left and right. today i've decided to try a lozenge right before the times when i would normally smoke. i still can't imagine using them as much as they are recommended, though.
0 Kudos
elizabeth17

Hi disnchanted... I think the thing about quitting cold turkey, at least for me, is that when I'd use the aids I was still obsessive-compulsive about nicotine... I then to be an all-or-nothing kind of person and aids were just prolonging the inevitable, NOT making it any easier on me. Tight pants are a problem to me too, but my new mind alteration of choice is YOGA... I can almost make myself kind of stoned with certain breathing techniques! Plus, it enables me to breathe soooo deeply and this just reinforces my decision to remain a non-smoker. I really wanted to comment on the "toddler mind". You coined it perfectly! Thanks to you for being my Friday motivation! I'm on my way to work a double shift (in a bar) and when my mind starts to mess with me, I'm going to use you as added mental incentive... you will remain smoke free today, and so will I!!! Happy Friday!
0 Kudos
disnchanted

Hi. From what I've read, many successful quitters, after multiple tries, were ultimately successful by cold turkey. I am not a true cold turkey quitter, I did use the patch and gum for the first 42 days and this week I have been going cold turkey off those the NRTs. In a lot of ways I feel that I just delayed the inevitable. But the 46 days I now have under my belt, make the quit worth saving. I have been using EFT for cravings. Allan Carr's Easyway book gave me some "mind" help that I found useful. I have been snacking like a fiend, and I have the poundage to show for it (bad idea). I have recently tried to make sure I have fruits & veggies cut up so I don't keep going to eat a bag of chips and salsa. Suck on popsicles, fudgsicles, or ice cubes. I think more than anything I am trying to deal with a craving by acknowledging the craving but not giving it to much attention, and then try to find something else to focus on. It's kind of like "toddler mind". On the first day without nicotine, I did spend about five minutes looking around the parking lot at work for butts. Luckily there weren't any, so I'll never know if I would have gone that route or not. But I did go outside and look around, then I started to notice the weather, the sky, etc. then I went back in and found something to do. What a nut! The frequent zombie states have gotten less frequent and shorter each day.
0 Kudos
julia

Hello,

This weekend was pretty tough for me and i don't know why. I did go out Saturday night with friends and I had one beer and then the whole crave kicked in...plus the habit of leaving the table and going outside to smoke. So instead I drank some water and ordered the biggest chocolate dessert and that made me laugh. On the way home my friend was so supportive that we stopped for lollilpops. I think I am addicted now to lollilpops which is ok in my book! Hang in there everyone and we are in this together. I'm glad to know that I am not alone and people on here feel the same way I do.

Happy Monday and hopes to another successful smoke-free week.

Julie 🙂
0 Kudos