cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Corp1982

I'm new and need advice.

I have been smoking for 23 years. I really want to quit. I'm tired of feeling unhealthy. I want to breath better, exercise and do physical activity without being out of breath. I have tried several times to quit smoking

Any tips or any advice where to start and how to deal with cravings urges and so forth? 

5 Replies
JACKIE1-25-15

.   Quitting is doable.  You have come to the right place for support.  I believe that education is the key to successfully quit. It is suggested to read Allen Carr's Easyway to Quit Smoking which can be found on pdf on the web.  Another good site to get info is www.whyquit.com.  There are several articles to read.  Nicotine 101 and Freedom From Nicotine My Journey Home.  Quitting takes planning and preparation go to EX Plan | BecomeAnEX to decide how you are going to go about quitting. To get help on navigating the site go to. Community Help‌.  Make quitting smoking your number one priority. Start by getting rid of anything associated with smoking such as ashtrays, lighters, etc.  You can do this if you make up your mind that you can.  Relearning your thinking that you do not have to smoke is a good beginning. For a while, you will think about smoking but that does not mean you have to act on it.  You can talk yourself out of smoking.  No matter what never ever take another puff.  NOPE.  Take smoking off the table as an option and do something different. 101 Things to Do Instead of Smoke SINAO smoking is not an option.  That is NOPE concept Not one puff ever. Be willing to do the work.  Quitting is the easy part.  Staying quit is work.  Learning to protect your quit will keep on your journey forever freedom. One day at a time.  Never give up, never give in. Hang tough Stay Close. 

maryfreecig

Welcome to Ex. 

Keep surrounding yourself with support. And there may be resources in your state or community that you don't know about--recovery centers (day) that include nicotine dependency help or meetings, hospital programs, quit groups, and by all means stick with Ex where we understand the journey and will be here 365 for you.

You might find that having support (people who understand that you are not crazy) will help you face the craves. One day at a time you face the craves--you smober up one day at a time. No one can deal with the rest of their life in one day, same is true with quitting. 

Glad you are here, keep blogging and learning. 

Yes you can.

Quitting smoking is doable.

MarilynH

Welcome to the community you've made the best decision that you'll ever make in your lifetime please read the links suggested above me and keep reading everything you can because there's a wealth of information right here on this site to strengthen your resolve to kick the nicotine poison to the curb permanently it's not easy by any stretch of the imagination BUT it's absolutely Doable and totally worth it, stay close because we're all here to help you in any way we can. Corp1982

0 Kudos
sweetplt

Hi and Welcome to Ex’s Corp1982 

So happy you have made the decision to quit smoking...I found that preparation, knowledge and hard work are the keys.  I suggest you start by going to My EX Plan | BecomeAnEX where you will make a quit date and then you will plan and prepare for that day and quit like no other.  Also, read blogs and information on this site to become more knowledgeable in your quit.  Knowledge is power.  The night before your quit day, get rid of all your smoking paraphernalia.  Truthfully, it is finding healthy options instead of smoking. /blogs/Maggie_quit_8-1-2010-blog/2012/03/19/100-things-to-do-instead-of-smoking?sr=search&searchId=9... 

Keep close to the support site to support others in their journey and for you to get help.  You can do this...you must make your Quit and You priority one ... Now get working...and know we are in this journey together...~ Colleen 251 DOF 

0 Kudos
Strudel

I really like the book mentioned above by Carr. You are in the perfect place for support - be sure to stay close! Congrats on deciding to quit! 

0 Kudos