cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

jfarrell0127

Depression

I’ve been off cigs for a month and been on the 7mg nicotine patch for a week now. I’ve been feeling very depressed lately. I know nicotine is an anti-depressant, so maybe that’s why. Did anybody else go through the same thing when they quit? How did you get through it?

13 Replies
sweetplt

Some Depression can be a part of this journey...often because we aren’t getting the “hit” to our endorphins...so sometimes we have to find it by walking, exercising, etc., however, there are other times that depression was masked by the smoke and it comes out when one quits smoking.  I would suggest you speak to your Doctor, about your feelings...if you find the depression is too deep for you to deal with and/or handle...as far as the nicotine patch I donot know any thing about NRT’s...but someone will answer you that has been on them...please keep us posted...and be sure to take care of YOU...~ Colleen 249 DOF 

Barbara145

Congratulations on one month.  You are doing great.  We stuffed our feelings when we smoked.  All kinds of feelings emerge after we quit.  Take it one day at a time and feel your feelings.  Coming here and reading blogs every day helps a lot.  You will find a lot of your own experience on these pages. This is a one day at a time journey. If you need professional help with depression ask your doctor. Don't give up on your quit.  The best is yet to come. 

indingrl

CONGRATS on 1 MONTH of freedom - thanks for sharing YOUR experience strength and HOPE and yes in MY early recovery from nicotine I was very sad too - cried off and on -  it was SUGGESTED to ME - to write a letter to say goodbye to MY LOVER and best FRIEND NICOTINE - it sounds silly but it worked - there are blogs YOU can read on goodbye letters - gentle hug

Sootie

Congrats on one month!!! Yes, depression is a very real part of the quit. Don't let it throw you! It is due to a lot of things.......the "hit high" from the nicotine is gone, you are learning a new life....a new normal without cigarettes. As most of us come to realize, they were a part of everything we did and when they are gone....it "feels" like a loss. After awhile, things will even out and you will no longer feel that or actually will feel the "loss" is a GREAT WIN for your life. Just do one day at a time. Try to get enough exercise and sleep.

Stay Strong

Kimmysue8119

I'm working closely with my doctor, support of everyone here and journaling.  I'm finding that I masked a lot with my habit.  The emotional waves come and go but I'm just rolling with it. If it feels like it's getting overwhelming for you I definitely would connect with your doctor and stay close to support.  Writing my feelings is really helping me.  So is dark chocolate. Stay strong

Gwenivere

Congratulations on a month.  That’s terrific!  I’m curious why you are on such a low dose path.  Did you smoke less than half a pack a day?  I’m asking because I use patches but started at 14 as I had about 18 cigs a day.  I also use the 2mg lozenges with my now 7 patch which I am covering part of bringing the nicotine down.  You don’t have to answer, but I never heard of starting so low.  I wish you success.  Coming and posting shows you have the commitment which is more than half the battle.  

0 Kudos

I have major Depressive Disorder, Anxiety and PTSD. I had to find alternative forms of dopamine and as stated, take it one single day at a time. Now I have 9 1/2 Years and there is no way I'll pick up again! You're in the right place. Type dopamine in the search window and find out ways to get dopamine.

Dopamine Boosting Foods Healthy Way.

Dopamine - the Double Edged Blade

Barbscloud

Big congrats on your one month smoke free.  As other's have said, it can be an early reaction to quitting, but if it continues please consult a doctor.  Personally, I had few physicial withdrawal symptoms--mine was more emotional and psychological.

Barb

0 Kudos
jonimarie

It took me roughly 60 days for that empty feeling to go away.

If that is what you are feeling it will subside with time

Depression is something else, which you may want to consult with a doctor

It took me time to find things to do with my time instead of lighting up a cigarette for comfort.

0 Kudos