cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

PastTense

Trigger warning

I had to stop for fuel this morning.  This is my Numero Uno trigger.  This is where I always got smokes.

This is also the only gas station between my house and work.

I admit, I had the vision of popping inside, buying a pack and having "just one" to celebrate 1 week smober.

Doesn't that sound insane?  Have a smoke to celebrate not smoking? 

Addiction is not sane or rational; it's just powerful.

This girl got her fuel and drove away like a smart person.

Take that, addiction.

It's gonna be a good day.

PT

Keep the Quit
PT
12 Replies
sweetplt

Hi PastTense I wrote a blog on this subject after my 30 days quit...I was so excited and the first thing I thought of was a cigarette to celebrate my reward...omg...I realized how tough the addiction...I didn’t smoke, but started writing down on rewards for my celebration....that is when I started saying...”I don’t smoke anymore, Thank God...”

Happy Thursday ~ Colleen 248 DOF 

PastTense

I have a whole lists of rewards for myself.  I can't believe my first thought was a cigarette.  They sure don't tell you this when you START smoking. 

PT

Keep the Quit
PT
sweetplt

So true...I was embarrassed to write it...but when I blogged about my feelings .. so many laughed and said it happened to them...celebrations can be the hardest triggers in the beginning....ie., I cleaned the entire kitchen (keeping busy) when I was done wanted a smoke to celebrate...geez...then like you, I started using my list of rewards...

Barbscloud

Good for you.   You're learning a new association at the gas station that doesn't involve buying cigarettes.   It will get easier each time.   Be proud--you did it!

Barb  

YoungAtHeart

Good for you!  You WON!

To make it easier next time you need gas, you might find a gas station near your work or near your home ( (maybe NOT on your normal route). Maybe treat yourself to a new pack of gum or some mints, too.   Finding a new route will give you some fresh scenery and make you think about your driving instead of that smoke on the way to/from work, too.

Have a GREAT smoke free day!

Nancy

constanceclum

Fantastic job winning over the nicodemon. I had a bad trigger which set off a huge, long lasting craving when I was in a situation with smokers that I use too smoke with. I was in the same situation the next day, and the crave was much weaker and shorter. Every time we win, we get stronger and our addiction gets weaker. And congratulations on getting through hell week!

Connie

maryfreecig

You did good. Triggers really are a mirror to the addiction, keep up the good work.

marciem

LOL, I did the same thing, thought about a smoke as a reward for not smoking... "good girl, you can have one now... just one".  Big lie.

But I'll tell ya, in the past when I had weight to lose, I put myself on an exercise walking routine.  7/11 is about a mile from my house, good walk right?  And at the end of that path... DONUTS for a reward.  PUhleeze!!  I had to change my route LOL.  

You won't have to change your route to work.  A few times stopping for gas without buying cigarettes and you will stifle that trigger.   If you can, pay at the pump, don't go in.  Or go in and buy some hard candies instead.

AnnetteMM

I always laugh at myself when things like that happen.  I hope you did, too!

th.jpeg