cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

BoomBoomPants

Should I avoid nicotine replacement?

I’m putting together a survival bag for next week when I quit. Weeks ago, I bought nicotine gum, and a JUUL, but reading through the forums a bit, I’ve seen some conflicting opinions/advice on nicotine replacement.

I don’t know if it matters, but I’m planning to use them only when I’m withdrawing so hard I might cave, not as a  means to replace the same amount of nicotine I’m getting from smoking currently. 

The JUUL seems to have particularly negative feedback on here, and I’m interested in knowing why.  Is a Juul that different from a nicotine inhaler? Are all nicotine replacements frowned upon?

Thanks!

Michelle

Tags (1)
10 Replies
PrimeNumberJD

Really, whatever gets you quit. It sounds like your plan is cold Turkey with a backup that isn't cigarettes. I personally quit cold Turkey, but I carried a patch as a backup and an alternative to caving.YoungAtHeart‌ has a lot of good advice she gives to every new comer (I won't steal her thunder) .

2 things I appreciated were Allen Carr's easyway to quit smoking (which I read after I quit) and whyquit.com. Both suggest NRT isn't necessary and the physical withdraws peak on day 3 and decline from there. The CDC even states that most quitters utilize a method other than those that are scientifically proven (i.e. NRT and prescription drugs) to quit. 

In a lot of research I've done, mutch after the fact of quitting, NRT does not translate from clinical trials to real world. A big part of that is counseling plays a much heavier role in clinical trials than often is practiced in real life. Also, quitting using an NRT does not reduce relapse prevalence; this remains consistent with all methods of quitting. 

I quit once for a 1.5 years utilizing patches, because I relapsed, if I used them to quit again, i had a 95% chance of relapsing. 

Take this with a grain of salt; have a plan and stick to that plan! Every quit is done differently, all our goals happen to be the same,  Not One Puff Ever NOPE! Keep the Sexy EXers close, they are here to help in a pinch... they openly allow me to annoy them! 

BoomBoomPants

Sounds good, thank you. I want to make sure I’m choosing the options with the most potential for success.  Now I won’t stress about having emergency NRT on hand. Like I’m a cheater or something. And that’s interesting about relapsing and it changing the effectiveness of the patch for you, I’ve never heard of that before. Does that happen with any method? 

Congrats to you for going cold turkey!

PrimeNumberJD

I got that piece from Nicotine Addiction 101, which has a lot of good information. You may find the section "vaping E- cigarettes or Using Nicotine Replacement Product" of interest. Keep in mind, this is one opinion, and you do you to get and stay quit. 

As far as effectiveness on other methods if you failed once, I don't think that applies to all methods. Most estimates are it takes between 10 and 30 quits to actually quit. You can do it in less or more, stats are just stats, you get top choose where you fall in that stat. Ultimately, each failed attempt forms what works and doesn't work and refines future endeavors. Perhaps that is why I went with an unplanned, cold Turkey quit this time, but kept an old patch with me as a safety net. I never felt the need to use it, but it was an umbrella on a day with a chance of rain, it never rained. 

One piece of advice, based on the "feel like I'm cheating" portion of your reply; the only rule is Not One Puff Ever (NOPE) and success will be yours. How you get there is inconsequential! Do Not beat yourself up is my advice, this only causes undue stress, stress being a trigger for most, which will make relapse more likely. Role with the punches, 15 minutes at a time, 1 day at the time and we'll see you on the healthy side!

YoungAtHeart

I don't see where I gave you my usual welcome, so I will remedy that here.  I don't think we frown on NRTs, but we do caution about using the ones where the addict controls the dose.  EVERY time you reintroduce nicotine to your brain, you reawaken the sensors, so I personally don't like some because they just keep them more active. I don't know why you have chosen the ones you did, but hope you will think about this a bit more as you educate yourself on this addiction.

The important thing you can do right now is to educate yourself on what nicotine does to your body and mind. To that end, I highly recommend Allen Carr's “The Easy Way to Stop Smoking.” This is an easy and entertaining read. You can search for it online or at your local library. If you do nothing else to get ready for your quit, please do give this a read.

You should also read the posts here and perhaps go to the pages of folks who you think might be helpful. You might visit whyquit.com, quitsmoking.com and livewell.com for the good information contained there. @https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/groups/best-of-ex has lots of blogs written by members of this site with their experiences and guidance. Here is a video to inform you further about nicotine addiction: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IpWMgPHn0Lo&feature=youtu.be.

After you have completed the recommended reading, it will be time to make an informed choice of the quit aid, if any, you will use. If you go that route, I personally recommend the aids that don't let the addict control the dose such as the available prescription drugs or the patch. If used properly, gum, lozenges and inhalers are fine, but they need to be used only as a last resort after you have tried to delay and distract.   I have seen folks become addicted to them if they substitute them for every cigarette they used to smoke - just trading one addiction for another.  You need to start out with a plan to reduce use of them over time - which the patch does by decreasing the dose contained in them..  For the gum, you can start by cutting each piece in half, then in quarters, then sub regular gum of the same flavor in between, adding more and more regular gum.  For the lozenge, you need to start subbing a mint in between to begin, increasing the number of them over time.  I do not recommend the e-cigarette for four reasons: 1) the vapor has been compared to the polluted air in Bejing on a bad day, 2) they just provide another nicotine delivery system while continuing the hand to mouth smoking motion,  3) the batteries can spontaneously catch on fire and 4) you can become addicted to that and it has not yet been proven safe (if you do a search for Juul or e-cigarettes with the magnifying glass above, you will see that a fair number of folks have come here for help  to break an addiction to them).

It will be informative if you do the tracking and separation exercises recommended here on the site. As you track each cigarette smoked, note its importance, and what you might do instead. Put each one off just a little to prove that you don't NEED a cigarette just because you think you do.

The idea is to change up your routines so the smoking associations are reduced.  Drink your coffee with your OTHER hand in a place different from when you smoked. Maybe switch to tea for a bit.  If you always had that first smoke with your coffee, try putting your tennies on right out of bed, going for a quick walk, then taking your shower and THEN your coffee! Rearrange the furniture in the areas you used to smoke so the view is different. Buy your gas at a different station. Take a different route to work. Take a quick walk at break time where the smokers AREN'T.

You need to distract yourself through any craves.  You can take a bite out of a lemon (yup - rind and all), put your head in the freezer and take a deep breath of cold air, do a few jumping jacks, go for a brisk walk or march in place, play a computer game.  Keep a cold bottle of water with you from which to sip. Don't let that smoking thought rattle around in your brain unchallenged. Sometimes you need to quit a minute or an hour at a time.  You will need to be disciplined in the early days to distract yourself when a crave hits.    Get busy!  Here is a link to a list of things to do instead of smoke if you need some fresh ideas:

https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/blogs/Youngatheart.7.4.12-blog/2013/02/25/100-things-to-do-instea...

The conversation in your head in response to the "I want a cigarette" thought needs to be, "Well, since I have decided not to do that anymore, what shall I do instead for the three minutes this crave will last?"  Then DO it.  You will need to put some effort into this in the early days, but it gets easier and easier to do.

Stay close to us here and ask questions when you have them and for support when you need it. We will be with you every step of the way!

Nancy

Barbscloud

Many people on this site have used NRT and other aids to quit successfully.  I'm one of them.   I think the negatively about JUUL also has to do with the other chemicals involved, not just the nicotine.  I successful used a nicotrol inhaler (where I controlled the dose so I don't agree with that) and had no problem stopping.  I found some of the Allen Carr's book helpful, but totally disagree with his premise that it's easy.  He has a slew of books making everything easy.  Great salesman or miracle worker--that's up to everyone to decide for themselves.  I found the support on this site much more significant to my quit.

The goal is the same no matter what method you choose-to be a non-smoker.

Barb

constanceclum

I had really harsh cravings the 1st 2&1/2 days even with the patch and nicotine lozenges so I'm not really sure I would have made it cold turkey but I am now on day 11 and, for the most part, it's smooth sailing, and I'm off the lozenges. I plan on using the patch as recommended. Many people turn to vaping to quit smoking and then find it even harder to quit that. I wouldn't stress about using other forms of NRT's though.

Connie

maryfreecig

Ex, in my opinion, is a two layer support--a community that chooses to be here and the Mayo/Truth Initiative alliance that has set up and maintained this site with the entirety of its information and community activity. As a community, there are different views on the mechanics of quitting--planning and those first few days--much of these opinions are formed out of personal experience. It's said around here a lot--take what you need and leave the rest. 

I think that one reason some of us discourage inhalers, vaping is because it mimics smoking--and so the concern is that a would be quitter is really just bargaining about quitting. 

I bought a packet of vape supplies in 2013 when I quit. I said I'd use it only if I started to fall a part (quit on my quit). I never used it. A week later I accepted that I could stay smober (no matter how I felt) and returned it for an exchange--unopened. BUT it was a part of my plan--and I would have used the vape had I fallen apart. 

Being over prepared to quit might just be a positive sign--there is a difference in wishing the quit works and meaning business. You sound great about meaning business--stick with that and keep building your confidence. 

WELCOME!

In my humble opinion, it's entirely your decision to use NRTs or not. Juul is another matter and I'll explain my thoughts. First, it mimics the hand-mouth movement of smoking. Second, it's pretty well established that e-cigs do not support smoking cessation. Third, it's dangerous. Yes, I know - it's not as dangerous as sickerettes but that's like saying that arsenic isn't as dangerous as cyanide. Which do you prefer knowing that? 

As for inhalers - they are different from e-cigs and an option. Please discuss all options with your Dr. and make your own decision. We are not Drs. I am, however a person who suffers lifelong depression and anxiety and have a 9 1/2 year quit journey so far. 

stAn3

I don’t have opinions, only my personal experience. I tried vaping to quit smoking.  I didn’t like it because it didn’t feel like a real cigarette. Also it seemed to drive me further into my nicotine addiction because I could vape pretty much any time I wanted.

I tried lozenges. This became a substitute addiction for me. I would start smoking again soon after quitting the lozenges. I repeated this several times over a two year period.

Someone on this site suggested using patches because you don’t control the delivery of nicotine. I was resistant to this suggestion at first because I tried patches several years earlier and they kept falling off. However patches turned out to be the NRT for me. They helped me break my addiction to lozenges and cigarettes. Walmart has the Equate patches that are cheap and work well.

Although I used NRT to help with the withdrawal symptoms, this site has helped me the most—blogging, reading other people’s posts, reading the suggested literature, encouraging other ex-smokers. Keep participating in our community and I’m sure you will be successful in quitting smoking.