cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Pmurphy7420

Quitting Juul cold turkey / anxiety

Hey guys, glad I found this site, it has been very rewarding reading some of the posts. I have always messed around with nicotine on and off here and there but never really had a “day to day addiction” per se until about 2013 when i started vaping. Just your normal basic vape from a vape shop, nothing crazy. Puffed on it ALOT for a year or so and one day just didn’t want it anymore and was able to get over it WITHIN 2 days, no cravings, nothing. It was so easy. Now I think Larry of that had to do with sitting in a sauna everyday but im not sure. So fast forward two years and I found out about Juul. I hate cigs, I wouldn’t ever touch one again, haven’t in over 5 years, but I love nicotine. As well all know the Juul is convienant. I started issuing it here and there and it quickly began to be in my hand or mouth all the time. Now I do smoke cannibis so I like nicotine when I do that. I am on day two of cold turkey and I’m feeling alright but my anxiety is sky rocketed. I do have trouble with anxiety but it’s in check for the most part. I think this is certainly triggering it. I’m craving nicotine but my mind is saying no. I bought some gum that I haven’t popped open yet As I’m seeing how long I can go. I have no interest in picking up a Juul as much as my nervous system and brain might want to, which is why I’m going cold turkey. Any tips and thoughts would be helpful. Do you all have a good experience with gum/losanges? It says to chew one piece every 1 to 12 (weeks 1 to 6) hours......then bump it to 1 piece every 2 to 4 (weeks 7-10) and then 1 piece every 4 to 8 (week 10 to 12). Any thoughts or tips? 

0 Kudos
4 Replies
sweetplt

HI and Welcome to Ex’s...

Glad you are quitting nicotine...it is an addiction...and we are addicts...I cold turkey quitting smoking (not for everyone)...but I found preparation, knowledge, and hard work were the keys...Most of all, the support group...

Please read at My EX Plan | BecomeAnEX where you will learn about addiction, craves, triggers, etc., 

It really takes substituting smoking with healthy things...and telling yourself “NOPE” “Not One Puff Ever”...

I donot know where smoking pot comes into play since I donot smoke it...this may make the 
“hand to mouth” habit harder to break...Hopefully others will comment and have experience with it...Also, go up in right hand corner and click on magnifier and put key words in about vape...etc., to find more helpful posts...now get working on this quit...~ Colleen 247 DOF 

Pmurphy7420

Thanks for your quick response! You're exactly right, the thing that has helped me most is whenever I get a craving, I turn healthy, I'll grab an apple, hit the gym, walk the dog or start reading an article or something. I think my hardest part is going to be when I drink so I am going to stay away from drinking for a little while. Today is day two, I was very anxious and agitated yesterday but did NOT hit the juul. Had a piece or nicorrette at 4 pm and honestly it just made me tired. Went to hot yoga last night for the first time and my body is feeling great this am. A little anxiety but relaxed and no cravings. I am going to cut caffeine for a while too as Instantly make me crave juul.  

sweetplt

Drinking alcohol is a big one for many of us...I had to avoid for a long time...and/or one drink and no more...many a quits lost with alcohol...and you know what...? At 8 months I can go out and have a couple cocktails and hardly even think about smoking...in-fact, last two times out I didn’t even think about smoking...your quit is worth giving up till you are comfortable with your quit...if the anxiety gets bad...look at a site for breathing techniques and/or meditation...it really helps with the anxiety in the beginning....we are in this together...Colleen 247 DOF 

sdc423

Ug, vaping is terrible!!!! I went back & forth smoking & vaping for a couple of years, and vaping is what I crave the most now. It got to the point where I was vaping ALL day, ALL the time sucking on that thing, to the point where I was embarrassed being around non vapers. I know I looked like such an addict. I also did the gum & I think if you do it correctly/follow the instructions it can be successful but I didn’t follow the instructions & I got addicted to the gum. I think that the thing to do (for me at least) is to face nicotine addiction head on. No replacements, just fight the cravings until they go away for good. That’s just what I have to do because any nicotine is just going to keep me addicted. Hope that helps and good luck!!!!