cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

vishnusuren

Starting to Quit/Need Help ASAP

Hey everybody, 

I'm a new member and I think I have already quit but I'm not quite sure. I'm currently in high school and I stop vaping in periods. I primarily used high nicotine level products like Juul and being in high school, it's in a lot of places. The one place that I can go and always know that nobody will vape is during band, specifically Marching Band. I never vape during marching season because it is very tough to play the trumpet when your lungs are constantly being stunted. We are a really good band and I am on leadership and I would say I'm a pretty good student overall. But I moved to Florida one year ago, and one of the reasons I moved was because everyone in my old school vaped and it was tough for me to find a right fit so I thought maybe moving would solve the problem. But it didn't. It helped a little bit because still I'm fairly new to the school and a lot of people don't know me, but I do know a good amount of people at my school and a lot of them vape. So, a few weeks ago, I went to New Jersey to see my old friends and of course everyone was still vaping, so I hit my friends juul and he gave me that pod for free, and when I got to my aunt's house, I actually cut open a wire and used it to vape what was left of the pod. But the entire summer, because I really haven't left my house, I didn't use nicotine, and I can go without it for weeks, but when the situation presents itself, I have a hard time saying no. School starts in a week, and I don't want to go back to school and repeat all the same bs because I want to focus on getting into college and actually want to show my parents I'm not a failure and I can get over this habit. So the main questions I have are, 1. Am I an addict?  2. If so, should I seek help from a rehab center or a doctor or how would I go about treating it because I want to make sure I never do it again?   and 3. How do I stay away from e-cigs in an environment where they are everywhere? 

7 Replies
Barbscloud

Well, the JUUL contains nicotine and nicotine is addictive so that makes all of us nicotine addicts.   If  you haven't vaped all summer you should already have made the break and went through withdrawal?   So you've already quit. You need to make the commitment to quit to not start again.  If I'm understanding this correctly, you've already gotten over the hard part.  If you have to avoid some situations, well then that's what you need to do.  If you don't vape during marching season and all summer, you've already proven you can do it.   If you need continued support this site can help with that.  It's made all the difference for me.   

Barb

maryfreecig

Welcome to Ex. Nicotine is highly addictive. Ex is here for you 365 and there are members who have quit juul. But your support need not be just here, do look for nicotine quit groups in your community and see what your local hospital offers in the way of support. 

When others continue to vape, do what you need to do to follow your goal of being free--walk away, chew a piece of gum, turn your mind's eye to other things--whatever it takes. You can do this for yourself, no matter what others are doing around you. 

CommunityAdmin
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi vishnusuren !

Thanks for posting!  I am sure others are in a similar boat as well, especially as a teen where vaping is prevalent.  It's good to have different perspectives here on EX.  And you're always welcome to encourage others, especially those who may be friends or peers to join and participate.  I am sure there are others like you who are here and are lurking and will see your post and identify with it and have similar questions and hopefully they get involved in the discussion as well.

E-Cig and Vape Quitters and Users‌ is a great place also for these discussions to happen.

Mark
EX Community Manager

EX Community Admin Team
indingrl

Welcome and CONGRATS just for TODAY - one day - one thought at a time - thanks for sharing YOUR experience strength and HOPE with ME - oh how I REMEMBER - peer pressure - it is how I chose to started using MY DRUG NICOTINE too - no worries - please remain open minded to use the SUGGESTIONS given here to teach YOUR self - NEW ideas - NEW thoughts - NEW MINDSET that works just for YOU - read the blogs offered to get started and please take what HELPS and let go of the rest - to be HELPFUL is MY only aim - thank you and gentle hug

AnnetteMM

Hello and welcome!  I used a Juul, too. I totally get the attraction. It's so easy and delicious and the nicotine addiction really sneaks up on you. Quitting it will be the same as quitting smoking. You'll have to withdraw from nicotine. I recommend reading all about addiction on this site, and then throwing out, YES THROW OUT! all the Juul stuff you have. Make sure it's not available to you at all. Then stock up on other things, like Tootsie pops or Twizzlers or straws to chew on or gum. Anything but nicotine. And keep coming here!

elvan

It sounds like you are on your way...please remember that quitting smoking or vaping is not an event, it is a one day at a time journey.    Nicotine is a really powerful drug and so many teens are getting addicted to it just like in MY DAY, it was cigarettes.  I never expected to become addicted but it happened and it did all kinds of damage to my lungs.  I think it's wonderful that you are quitting and concentrating on school.  Stay away from people who are vaping because it puts your quit in danger.  Exercise to release dopamine and help lift your spirits without nicotine.  You CAN do this and we all want very much to help you.  How wonderful that you are quitting when you are so young.  

Welcome to EX.

Ellen

Giulia

Your name reminds me of an old group I used to listen to: the Mahavishnu Orchestra.  Mahavishnu Orchestra - Birds of Fire (full album) (VINYL) - YouTube   I used to play in a marching band too - the flute.  Not easy to play and march at the same time!  Kudos for that.

You say you "think" you've already quit but aren't sure.  When you quit - you don't vape or smoke again.  Quitting isn't a part-time thing.  It's an EVERYthing.  

Just because you can go without it for weeks, doesn't mean you not addicted.  And this is you clue:  "when the situation presents itself, I have a hard time saying no." So yes, I'd say you're an addict in the sense that you've created new nicotine receptors in your brain that weren't there before and so when they get triggered you have that hard time saying NO.  It's a habit too, of course, a behavioral and psychological one.  

Do you need a doctor or a rehab center to get over it?  Based on my personal experience I'd say no.  Just hang out here and read what we all have to say.  You'll find that most of us say the same thing (in different ways).  Commitment, hard work, education, persistence, etc.  Those ARE the ingredients necessary to beat this addiction.  

If you make quitting a priority in in your life, I mean really spend as much time and effort and reading and practicing as you do with your trumpet, I've no doubt you'll succeed.  If you really want to make sure you never do it again - that's what it takes.  You up for it?

0 Kudos