cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Addiction is not what we chose....

So why is decision the way out?

As many of you know I am a fan of etymology (the study of root words) because we often find subtle meaning in the roots and history of words. For example, addiction comes from the Latin word addictus (past tense addicere), which means “to devote, sacrifice, sell out, enslave,betray or abandon."  So what?

When you picked up your first sickerette, my guess is that you didn't say something like,"I want to enslave myself to this object. I want to sacrifice , my time, money, family, home, values, self to a dead leaf wrapped in paper and dipped in thousands of chemicals." That didn't happen!

But that's what this dead leaf did to us - made us a slave to a natural insecticide called tobacco chock full of a substance called nicotine which is deadly and yes, addictive.

It wasn't part of the deal! We told ourselves that we would smoke in order to be cool, to relax, to even lose weight...

And what about those chemicals that were added without our awareness? They range among everything from embalming fluid to arsenic. Who knew? 

But now we do know! Now we find ourselves addicted to Nicotine and smoking, vaping, and chewing this dangerous dead leaf several times a day! So what's the way out?

Decision. Decision because that is the aspect of ourselves that we can control in spite of our enslavement to nicotine. You can't do it casually because you are bound like a slave to this substance. You can decide and stand firm in that decision - just as slaves decided to set themselves free - they dream of the day, they plan the day, they live for the day that they can be FREE! 

And we have a better chance of freedom because our enslaver is a thing - a plant with the properties to enslave us rather than a society or another human being. 

My ancestors were enslaved by the Spanish. But they decided to liberate themselves and they did after many years of struggle! Perhaps your ancestors were enslaved by the Vikings, the Greeks, the Romans, or even by the United States of America. Now you are FREE! One day of Freedom is worth all the struggles it takes to break lose of enslavement. Why? Because it allows our dignity (which we always had to hide from in slavery) to blossom. 

Will you let that leaf control your life - control YOU - or will you become a Freedom Seeker? 

Each minute of each day of Freedom is worth it! The decision to liberate yourself awaits you!

LLAP

11 Replies
green1611

well said..thank you so much. New joiners please be attentive while reading.

At the time of first such instant, had someone told us that one puff or one cigarette will make you slave, I am sure majority would have turned down the offer. It was supposed to be relaxation at that point of time.

Thanks for pointing out clearly, how and why every smoker should come out of slavery and be FREE, and live lively.

2074 days without nicotine....really free from slavery.

Barbara145

Good morning Thomas.  Always good to hear from you and learn.  You sound wonderful by the way.  May God continue to bless you.

JACKIE1-25-15

Thank you for sharing and informing.  You know I have always been a fan of yours.  Thanks for being here. I think you are kinda wonderful. Your blogs have helped me countless times.  Praying you to have the best day possible. 

I think you are very wonderful, too, Jackie!

0 Kudos
MarilynH

Thomas, you were and still are a huge part of my precious quit journey, thanks again for another great post which I hope everyone will drop by and read and take in each word that's written......

YoungAtHeart

We had NO idea when we started of the road on which we were embarking - and ads with doctors purporting to recommend a particular brand certainly didn't help to inform us.  Big Tobacco, in all its evilness, designed the product to be as addictive as possible, all the while putting chemicals in  to mask our bodies natural response to the poison (cough suppressants, menthol).

Several generations lost and suffering from their brainwashing.  S H A M E !

By quitting, we can reduce the amount of $$$$$ these killers are making......aside from the benefits to ourselves.  DO it!

Nancy

sweetplt

0 Kudos
constanceclum

I did know. Being 13 and in a new school, being accepted meant everything to me. I chose to smoke anyway.

Connie

0 Kudos