cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discuss different approaches to quitting, including medication

jewels4

Horrible side effects!

Hello everyone! I wanted to let everyone know that I took chantix for 2 months and had horrible side effects! I started going through fits of rage and anger that is not part of my personality at all. At first I thought it was just because I had quit smoking and tried to tough it out and then I went into a dark depression and became very suicidal. I am normally a very happy mother of two and this was a very scary experience that I hope to never encounter again. Chantix definitely works when it comes to quiting but the emotional effects were not worth it by a long shot. If anyone is experiencing anger, depression or especially suicidal thoughts, please stop taking it immediatly!
Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
14 Replies
deanna2

ok when does the nausea go away? i get nausea every day .
0 Kudos
bill-v_

Bravo artsyfish...you hit the nail on the head. I'm getting sick of everything including gas prices blamed on Chantix. It's the psychological component of quitting that's the cause.

Bill V.
5 mos. and don't even need to worry about smoking again after 35 years!
0 Kudos

I understand, but it does work for some, just not u or I
Watch what you say, angry people are just waiting to pounce.....lol
hugs
0 Kudos

wow, you are angry.....lol
0 Kudos

You are right, I was monitored and my doctor said to quit, I was the dizz that kept taking it.
I am on the mend and thanks for replying

SJ
0 Kudos

I was able, I am 45, to eat and drink anything. The chantix made me so sick and no amount of milk, food made it better. My son could on the otherhand take it on a empty stomach and was fine. You have to decide yourself as everyone is different
Good luck
Shelley Jo
0 Kudos
bill-v_

there is no secret...it's the strength of your resolve, and for me, the initial help from Chantix. Yes, I'm just a little angry...people have a way of jumping on the convenient excuse. I agree, this drug is not for everyone, as I've posted before. It's just that I don't believe all the additional crud that some would have you believe about this drug. No, there is no proven link, only suggestions and recommendations.
The Nausea is real, or can be Deanna. Take with foods and maybe vary the time of day you take it. Some find they have to reduce dosage. Do what works for you, and talk with others who may have overcome the nausea (many). Some have said they had problems with it for the first weeks, then it went away. I only had the dreams (enjoyed!) and disrupted sleep (I'm a light sleeper anyway!)
0 Kudos
helen3

I am on day 82 smoke-free and I am almost done with Chantix. It was true for me that I was nauseous -- I likened it to morning sickness -- but for me it passed. I haven't had a problem since about week two. Can any one tell me what it's like when you stop taking the Chantix? I'm concerned that the overwhelming desire to smoke is going to jump on me and shove a cigarette in my mouth. : )
I tried to do it "a day at a time" even using the Chantix so I'm just not going to smoke for today.

Thanks all.
0 Kudos
debra4

I have been smoke free for 6 months. I only took the Chantix for 1 month. About a month and a half ago I became really depressed, angry, didn't care about anything, didn't think about suicide, but didn't really care if anything bad happened to me and cried and cried and cried. I went back on 1 Chantix a day (a couple of days ago) and am beginning to feel normal again.
I do not believe it is the Chantix, I believe this is all part of quitting smoking.
0 Kudos