cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discuss different approaches to quitting, including medication

sandra16

Naseau

Does anyone else have an side affects on chantix. I am on it again and it is making me very nauseated. So, does anyone have any major or minor side affects with it. Also what do you take OTC to take care of them? Thanks!
Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
10 Replies
SaraSmile

Hi Sandra,
Just make sure you're drinking 8 oz. of water with and eating before you take it. I had a 3 day bout of vomiting but stuck with it! Today I'm 42 days smoke free! Give your body a chance to get used to the Chantix, it's so worth it! Nausea is a small price to pay for FREEDOM from nicotine in my book!
Sara
Photobucket
Prosper in peace
0 Kudos
donna22

Hi Sandra, I agree with Sara....I really think the full glass of water is important...I usually take it about 15-30 min after I eat...that works for me...I was only nauseated for about 4-5 days then that pretty much stopped...stick with it, usually the side effects subside...good luck
0 Kudos
bridget4

I've just started taking Chantix. My doctor recommended a slow start. Working up to the 2 pills a day, she recommended 1/2 tablet once daily for 6 days, then 1/2 tablet twice a day for 6 days, then 1 tablet for 6 days - then the 2 pills a day. So far, I'm on day 5 and haven't had any side effects. Good luck to all of us!
0 Kudos
bill-v_

I was lucky and never had the nausea...or at least not worth mentioning. I know some people varied the time of day they took their pills, and some took 1/2 pills 4x a day to get over it. I've often heard that the nausea diminishes after awhile regardless. Finally, there have been those that had some nausea throughout. I SOOOOO agree with the others that it is well worth the discomfort compared to smoking. I know my sleep patterns were messed up while I was on Chantix (and had wild dreams...I considered that a plus! 😉 ), and at times felt like a zombie from lack of sleep. But now I've been a non-smoker for 7 months and wouldn't dream of starting back up again. Whatever it takes is worth it!!!!!!

Bill V.
0 Kudos
carole2

Yes it does make me very nauseated but it is by far the best product out there and yes I have tried everything literally! I too try to take it on a full stomach and with water. And the night time one I wait till my eyes are just about shut before I take it. I've tried dropping the morning one and so far so good but I don't want any slip ups either.I can't afford it. I've been on it now I think nearly 2 years.
0 Kudos
angelia.w

I have to agree with everyone else.Make sure to eat before taking the medication and drink lots of water. I am starting my 4th week, my only side affects have been heartburn and strange dreams.
0 Kudos
sandra16

Thank everyone for their responses. I will try water and food first. I have been smoke free for almost three days now, and the second try is just as hard. Thanks again!
0 Kudos
cindi

Hi Sandra.
I am new to Chantix being a non smoker now for 26 hours. I had smoked for 35 years. So far it is working really well for me. Side affects for me are strange dreams and sometimes I am lightheaded. I read before I started that taking it with a big glass of juice instead of water helped someone not feel sick...works for me. I am trying to start eating a little something in the morning but I am so used to smoking my breakfast....yuck.
Good luck to you and anyone else who happens to read this !
WE CAN do this.
0 Kudos
janette

Sandra - I agree with the water approach, but also, Sea-Band anti nausea ginger gum works great. You can find it in the drug store section where you find pepto, emetrol, etc.
0 Kudos