Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

maboyd66

Cold turkey

How does a person quit cold turkey?

0 Kudos
10 Replies
maryfreecig

So few words maboy66 for such a big topic.

Cold turkey means you use nothing at all when you quit--no drugs, no patches, no vaping. It means you decide to quit and you follow through with a little preparation before hand and the time between deciding to quit and doing it usually or often is 2-3 weeks. 

I quit cold turkey as follows: I decided to quit, I went online and looked for advice (solid advice not 10 minute easy solutions--so bogus anyway), I signed up with my home states quit site and received emails everyday (supportive stuff), I decided a carton would be enough for me to get my act together that after it was gone--I was quitting, I made a list of things to do instead of cave to an urge to smoke, I got a jar for all the money I'd be saving.

Once, I quit, I followed my plan. No matter what. I continued to look for good advice as to how to deal with craves, addiction etc.

Overtime, I came to accept that my decision to quit was 100% correct. That was 2013. I could care less about smoking and I intend to keep it that way.

You can do this, may not be easy, but it will get easier and easier one day at a time.

AnnetteMM

Yes, this. My plan had a few differences, but essentially the point is to have a plan and then stick to it. Use the search tool on this site and start reading!

maryfreecig

Agreed. Cold turkey, smart turkey, NRT but no matter what a plan of intent sets the stage.

gregp136

How does someone fly an airplane?

Barbscloud

LOL

sweetplt

HI and Welcome to Ex’s...I am a cold turkey quitter....maboyd66 

First, I found Ex’s and went to My EX Plan | BecomeAnEX where I made my quit date and I prepared for this day like no other...(ie., puzzle, knitting project, hard candies, sneakers ready for a walk, carrot sticks, celery sticks and a few life time movies, etc., ) then I read everything I could about quitting smoking and realized this takes hard work...and for a few weeks this has got to be my number one priority, my life depends on it...just like any illness and getting better depends on rest, fluids, etc., This journey is not easy, but it is doable...and it takes time because for years you have put chemicals in your body and it doesn’t overnight feel great...then I found the support site and I started helping and encouraging others to quit smoking or keep their quit (important to extend yourself some) and I came and asked for help...you can do this too...Now get working...and keep this list close to you /blogs/Maggie_quit_8-1-2010-blog/2012/03/19/100-things-to-do-instead-of-smoking?sr=search&searchId=1... 

We are in this journey together...~ Colleen 235 DOF 

Barbscloud

How are you?   Have you picked a quit date?  We're here--ready and able to give you support.

Barb

0 Kudos
elvan

Education about the addiction is vital as is support from others who have been where you are, and, lastly, you make a commitment to yourself not to smoke, NO MATTER WHAT!  Set your date, make your plan, and stay close to the site.

Welcome to EX,

Ellen

Giulia

Choose SMART TURKEY‌.