cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

DonnaMarie

COPD observation

My friend that has COPD went to their doctor today because of cold symptoms and not feeling well, as well as having issues breathing at night. They were told it was complications of their COPD and prescribed steroids and antibiotics. I've seen them smoking all day regardless

I know I can't make anyone quit; only they can do that, but it does sadden me to know that you're making  yourself sicker and sicker and you continue to poison yourself. I am NOT judging. It could be me just as well as it's them.

I tell all of you this because I don't have the balls to talk to them directly.

Donna

11 Replies
indingrl

No worries YOUR human Donna and full of empathy- gentle hug❤

YoungAtHeart

It breaks my heart to see people like your friend continuing to smoke.  Can you imagine how the doctor must feel?

I know you know there is not a thing you can do.  More's the pity.

Nancy

Sootie

It probably would do no good to talk to them anyway. When I was smoking...no amount of talk from anyone changed my mind. I watch this with my sister and it makes me very sad.....but I can't do anything about it. I only pray she will quit.

elvan

It's hard to see someone killing himself or herself and smoking is nothing less than that, it is a slow suicide that forces your friends and family to watch.  I so hope that your friend quits BEFORE it gets any worse.  I certainly wish I had.

Ellen

DonnaMarie

The one time I saw a cardiologist (way back before I got this stomach illness "fixed" and was having chest pains), he told me I was a ticking time bomb, but that it was up to me. I got his message loud and clear, but I didn't quit. Not then.

Giulia

We who have quit are all too familiar with that scenario.  And all you can do is bleed for them.  Until you've seen the light, you really don't understand how sad it is for those who love you to watch you continue destroying your health.  May she find the light.

gregp136

I continued to kill myself long after I should have stopped.  I cannot judge anyone.

DonnaMarie

No judging. I always realize it could be me as well as them. I got lucky; this quit stuck.

Donna

Day 214

0 Kudos
Mandolinrain

Me too Gregg, over and over and over again. Sadly. Everyones journey is different....but we are here now and thats what matters. I m grateful for the playground of new friends I have made. Sometimes, they leave for awhile, but most return, and thats always a reason to smile